You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Buzzardsluck

Matters on when you play

17 comments in this topic

[NBNG]
Members
403 posts
9,426 battles

I have tried to stay away from weekends and early afternoon weekday play. During these times I play co-op and practice with ships I am not to good with, mostly cruisers. I play a broad range of ships, lately mostly playing DDs and BBs. Started out as a BB driver mainly. For the last 21 days 95 battles, mostly playing after 6 pm on weekdays, where I find players IMO that play as a team with a plan. In this time I have almost a 53% win rate with about a 44k avg damage. Has anyone else tried this? Using times at a measure of when better play is found? 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

I don't know why but my win rate as a Corgi is decidedly better than my overall win rate. I'm beginning to wonder if having access to essentially unlimited ships, premium consumables, signals, and 19-point captains has something to do with it. Or it might be that I am not trying to maintain my stats or attempting to finish campaigns on the Corgi account but just playing for fun. Maybe just playing for fun is the way to win.  

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I don't know why but my win rate as a Corgi is decidedly better than my overall win rate. I'm beginning to wonder if having access to essentially unlimited ships, premium consumables, signals, and 19-point captains has something to do with it. Or it might be that I am not trying to maintain my stats or attempting to finish campaigns on the Corgi account but just playing for fun. Maybe just playing for fun is the way to win.  

In WoT, Otter once had the honor of being the "sheriff" in the "kill the sheriff" event. A lot of us had to "dial it down" in order to let the players get the kills. 

1. Never underestimate the value of a maxed out Captain/crew. A T-67 or E-25 with a maxed out crew is hilariously over powered. 

2. There likely is something to the psychology of playing better when there's less "pressure"

3. People go a little nuts for a couple of bucks worth of gold/doubloons

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Well, I had to work like mad to eke out 50% on Friday night, but I went 6-0 on Saturday (4 morning, 2 evening).  With all the talk about weekend play (which we do on console tanks as well), I found great team play in all six battles/wins yesterday. 

[RLGN]
Members
13,529 posts
23,601 battles

After 12am and before 1pm because of work schedule, (- sleep, of course.)

Mornings, early afternoons seem easier. Late night I don't like so much, and usually just play co-op, unless I'm doing some task.

Late night co-op is good for CV driving; as long as you're able to fight 3, 4, 5, or 6 against one if you bot 'teamates' tank like no tomorrow; really rack up the points then.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

After 12am and before 1pm because of work schedule, (- sleep, of course.)

Mornings, early afternoons seem easier. Late night I don't like so much, and usually just play co-op, unless I'm doing some task.

Late night co-op is good for CV driving; as long as you're able to fight 3, 4, 5, or 6 against one if you bot 'teamates' tank like no tomorrow; really rack up the points then.

My word...I ran my first ever CV voyage in co-op last night. I couldn't figure out how to actually launch the torpedos. Somehow, I luckily launched to spreads and got hits but I have no idea how I did it. I watched those naval academy vids three times but still couldn't remember how to launch the torps. Lol

[RLGN]
Members
13,529 posts
23,601 battles
2 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

My word...I ran my first ever CV voyage in co-op last night. I couldn't figure out how to actually launch the torpedos. Somehow, I luckily launched to spreads and got hits but I have no idea how I did it. I watched those naval academy vids three times but still couldn't remember how to launch the torps. Lol

Yeah... Can't seem to catch a break in Randoms with them, (everyone always seems to know what to do to defend themselves,) so I guess I'm a CV main in Co-op, 325 battles there just with Bogue; most from before the squadrons change.)

Don't let CV haters fool you, it can be easy at times, but it's still harder than they think.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,851 battles
41 minutes ago, Buzzardsluck said:

I have tried to stay away from weekends and early afternoon weekday play. During these times I play co-op and practice with ships I am not to good with, mostly cruisers. I play a broad range of ships, lately mostly playing DDs and BBs. Started out as a BB driver mainly. For the last 21 days 95 battles, mostly playing after 6 pm on weekdays, where I find players IMO that play as a team with a plan. In this time I have almost a 53% win rate with about a 44k avg damage. Has anyone else tried this? Using times at a measure of when better play is found? 

One would think that if you play a lot of games in a row you would get in the groove as they say and get good teams however...

I've found the opposite, and it doesn’t seem to matter weekend or day but if you haven’t played for 4 or 5 days the first games I then play are usually better teams close games ,it’s on odd pattern 2 or 3 wins in a row then losses start, 

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yeah... Can't seem to catch a break in Randoms with them, (everyone always seems to know what to do to defend themselves,) so I guess I'm a CV main in Co-op, 325 battles there just with Bogue; most from before the squadrons change.)

Don't let CV haters fool you, it can be easy at times, but it's still harder than they think.

How do you launch torps though?  I just watched those academy vids again and I'm just not seeing what to click to engage the reticle so to speak. I was seeing reticles, but my planes just kept circling over the targets. Eventually I got 2 salvos launched but don't know how. 

Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
1 hour ago, Buzzardsluck said:

I think  afternoon period is the worst. Guess all the kids playing ?? After 6-7pm it gets a lot better. Morning games are usually slower paced,,good time to harvest credits and xp points?? Weekends are definitely  a nightmare,during the day. Another thing i`ve noticed, there is a lot more standard games,at mid tiers on the weekends. Like 5-6 in a row yesterday, with the same tier(6). That, coupled with the weekend warriors ,makes most games more like a circus... Like nobody really knows where to go.....what to do...?  

• Cool 1

[NBNG]
Members
403 posts
9,426 battles
36 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

One would think that if you play a lot of games in a row you would get in the groove as they say and get good teams however...

I've found the opposite, and it doesn’t seem to matter weekend or day but if you haven’t played for 4 or 5 days the first games I then play are usually better teams close games ,it’s on odd pattern 2 or 3 wins in a row then losses start, 

I think maybe it is a mine set on a certain time. If you go into a battle not liking the time, maybe it effects your play. But, I do find the combination of both game formats to be better on my performance. 

[NBNG]
Members
403 posts
9,426 battles
23 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

I think  afternoon period is the worst. Guess all the kids playing ?? After 6-7pm it gets a lot better. Morning games are usually slower paced,,good time to harvest credits and xp points?? Weekends are definitely  a nightmare,during the day. Another thing i`ve noticed, there is a lot more standard games,at mid tiers on the weekends. Like 5-6 in a row yesterday, with the same tier(6). That, coupled with the weekend warriors ,makes most games more like a circus... Like nobody really knows where to go.....what to do...?  

What makes it even worse on the weekend, you as a player will try and help with direction by calling out caps. Nobody will respond, where I find at the times I listed, you get team play. Team playing is a major part of this game, that is why Divisions are so successful. I have a better ranked win percentage because it is geared towards team play, which I put a lot of weight towards. You will see on weekends people all over the play with no chance of supporting a goal. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,866 posts

Weekends are awful. This is when your team is likely to sail around aimlessly. I mostly play prime time. Late nights, some people too stoned to play well. I know because they say it. I will struggle to win on weekends if I play at all, mostly win on weeknights.

Members
817 posts
9,071 battles

The thing is,when we have these losing streaks,, 5-6-7 games in a row,,maybe somebody on the red team has the same winning streaks...?? And i`m keep wondering how the f..k i`m ending up with the useless teams so many times one after the other.. One would think, it eventually evens itself out,and it certainly looks that way on weeknights...but not on the weekends. 

Edited by VonSmallHausenn

Members
567 posts
80 battles

Bad players will appear on your team as much as the enemy team regardless of time of day. The capacity for humans to be irrational (superstitious) is infinite however, so they will ignore the laws of math and probability to fit their personal bias. It's no different than a blackjack player believing the guy making bad decisions before him is having a negative impact on his odds. 

Our minds remember more when things work against us because "winning" is what we expect to happen so when we win, it's just remembered as a normal experience while losing generates a greater emotional response because it is unacceptable. 

I see guys with 60% - 70% win rates for the day thinking they were actually below 50% for the day just because the quality of play on the weekend felt lower. Some matches might have been more frustrating with an increased number of people going full failtard, but the wins were still there even if they didn't feel like wins or like the team deserved to win, so mentally it gets registered as a loss. 

The other thing is self-fulfilling prophecy. You go into the weekends expecting to have tomatoes on your team and you mentally check out and end up playing down to that level. You know you shouldn't make that choice to go around that island solo but you do anyway because you think it doesn't matter anyway, your team will find a way to lose regardless. When in reality that choice was possibly the turning point factor that secured the loss. 

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster
  • Cool 1

[NBNG]
Members
403 posts
9,426 battles
26 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Bad players will appear on your team as much as the enemy team regardless of time of day. The capacity for humans to be irrational (superstitious) is infinite however, so they will ignore the laws of math and probability to fit their personal bias. It's no different than a blackjack player believing the guy making bad decisions before him is having a negative impact on his odds. 

Our minds remember more when things work against us because "winning" is what we expect to happen so when we win, it's just remembered as a normal experience while losing generates a greater emotional response because it is unacceptable. 

I see guys with 60% - 70% win rates for the day thinking they were actually below 50% for the day just because the quality of play on the weekend felt lower. Some matches might have been more frustrating with an increased number of people going full failtard, but the wins were still there even if they didn't feel like wins or like the team deserved to win, so mentally it gets registered as a loss. 

The other thing is self-fulfilling prophecy. You go into the weekends expecting to have tomatoes on your team and you mentally check out and end up playing down to that level. You know you shouldn't make that choice to go around that island solo but you do anyway because you think it doesn't matter anyway, your team will find a way to lose regardless. When in reality that choice was possibly the turning point factor that secured the loss. 

So much of what you posted makes one think and wonder. That is why I waited and tried to get a period of game play for a sample size. I came up with about a 54% win rate. Maybe I am just improving a little, but I will not test the waters and stay on this game schedule for a little bit longer. I am enjoying the game more and that is what counts in the end. 

[WOLF2]
Members
314 posts
17,888 battles

saturday / sunday morning

weekday 7pm 

are bad times

saturday / sunday afternoon, evening are good times