You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hawker_67

When we getting a tier 5 and 6 MM WG?

18 comments in this topic

Members
65 posts

So when are you going to fix you MM up to tier 4 the game isn't to bad THEN

you get a tier 5 ship cant afford the upgrades and all the goodies take it for a spin and see tier 7.....

If it wasn't ALMOST EVERYGAME it wouldn't be so bad.

This will not help the newer playerbase stick around, if anything it will chase them away.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,196 posts
15,544 battles

Honestly, they shouldn't have tier protected 4. Instead, they should have protected players with less than X battles. Sure, tier 2 and 3 might deserve it, but most tier 4's can handle t6 battles.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,860 posts
4,861 battles
2 hours ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Honestly, they shouldn't have tier protected 4. Instead, they should have protected players with less than X battles. Sure, tier 2 and 3 might deserve it, but most tier 4's can handle t6 battles.

Must be the HakuMyogi...:Smile_sceptic:

The lighter T4 ships can take to stealth and they die the same way as their tier 5 counterparts...and there's no truly gimped ships like the Kawachi in tier 4, either.

Tier 5 is a nightmare to play because it keep getting uptiered into 7...

[4HIM]
Members
2,910 posts
11,281 battles

The ships from T4 could likely survive and even cope against T6.  But the big difference is captain skills at that point.  Most who are grinding up the trees likely only have at best a 6 point captain by T4.  Many don't have that yet.  Where a lot of T6 ships have 10 point captains or better.  Same captain skills and the T4 could probably do okay.  But chuck in the additional captain skills you gain by grinding from T4 to T6, and now there's a significant difference in performance.  Not much grinding needed to get to T4.  

Protect T5, and now it's T6 that gets hosed.  All it does is move the problem higher up the tree.  

[APOC-]
Members
117 posts
4,740 battles

should try tier 8 battles, its a crapshoot if you're the highest tier. (AKA: good luck not getting into a 9/10 match)

Edited by MVPBluntman

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

They changed T5 MM and are not changing it back. People just need to move on with their gripes. WG changed it up to move people out of T5 and start paying premium to play at a higher average tier. 

T5 was a free to play paradise and that doesn't pay the bills. Almost certain WG wanted to bump the average up from 5 to 7 and help move the matches higher so it is harder for average players to make a profit and makes premium more necessary for a larger slice of the player Base.

Business decisions, folks.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

+2/-2 is old and antiquated. 

It was a solution in the past that many don't feel is still needed.

At the very least +1/-1 would be more beneficial.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

Members
4,507 posts

They did the MM change of T4 to protect the newbies from seal-clubbing T6 players.

You protect T5, you'll see the same thing happen in T6.

1,196 posts
15,544 battles
2 hours ago, Wowzery said:

They did the MM change of T4 to protect the newbies from seal-clubbing T6 players.

You protect T5, you'll see the same thing happen in T6.

I dunno... t6 sees a lot of t8, so I wouldn’t call it seal clubbing.

Seal clubbing would be going down to the protected tiers and stomping in nonstop 3 man divs.

Members
4,507 posts
2 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Seal clubbing would be going down to the protected tiers and stomping in nonstop 3 man divs.

There's already a lot of threads about how bad T6 MM is.  Protecting T5 would only make this worse.  Before the change T6 players saw T4, and they would seal club them. WG thought if they protected T4 by the time players made it to T5 they would have a better understanding of the game and not be such easy targets.

1,196 posts
15,544 battles
7 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

There's already a lot of threads about how bad T6 MM is.  Protecting T5 would only make this worse.  Before the change T6 players saw T4, and they would seal club them. WG thought if they protected T4 by the time players made it to T5 they would have a better understanding of the game and not be such easy targets.

And they were wrong. The only way to do this is to give preferential matchmaking to players who have less than X number of battles... either overall or in that ship.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Protect T1-T3, and do +1/-1 for T4 and up. 

T4 will see T5 which at that point, Captains should be ready to see T5.

Every other Tier would benefit from this as well.

It always trips me out when a new line comes out and peeps review it. There's no need to review them against other ships in the same tier. I'd wager 90% of the time you're  bottom tier anyways.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[YORHA]
Members
4,806 posts
9,483 battles
5 hours ago, pyantoryng said:

Must be the HakuMyogi...:Smile_sceptic:

The lighter T4 ships can take to stealth and they die the same way as their tier 5 counterparts...and there's no truly gimped ships like the Kawachi in tier 4, either.

Tier 5 is a nightmare to play because it keep getting uptiered into 7...

New York says "Hello"...

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,860 posts
4,861 battles
33 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

New York says "Hello"...

After the old stock New Mexico I think that the NY was never truly gimped at its tier...

[YORHA]
Members
4,806 posts
9,483 battles
2 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

After the old stock New Mexico I think that the NY was never truly gimped at its tier...

For tier V NY is top in number of battles but bottom in every other category except survival.  Bottom for the last 2 weeks in all respects as well.

But you are right, the New Mex isn't much better.

Members
1,819 posts
5 hours ago, Canadatron said:

They changed T5 MM and are not changing it back. People just need to move on with their gripes. WG changed it up to move people out of T5 and start paying premium to play at a higher average tier. 

T5 was a free to play paradise and that doesn't pay the bills. Almost certain WG wanted to bump the average up from 5 to 7 and help move the matches higher so it is harder for average players to make a profit and makes premium more necessary for a larger slice of the player Base.

Business decisions, folks.

But how many players are giving up on the game or moving to coop/operations because tier 5 is so horrible. 

Members
1,027 posts
6,184 battles
1 hour ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

To me seal clubbing is people in a boat with a Capt. with 10 or more points going into lower tiers where most people don't have a Capt. with many points at all

3 minutes ago, Kconvey_1 said:

But how many players are giving up on the game or moving to coop/operations because tier 5 is so horrible. 

Before IFHE and HE spam t5 wasn't that bad to me, yet I'd rather play a t5 and go against t7's then take a chance on any t8 I have not to be bottom feeder

Members
4,415 posts
18,005 battles
8 hours ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

So you believe that a Kuma could handle a fight with a Cleveland? Or a Wyoming could do good against a New Mexico?

5 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

+2/-2 is old and antiquated. 

It was a solution in the past that many don't feel is still needed.

At the very least +1/-1 would be more beneficial.

Beneficial in the sense that it would drive fewer new players away. I'm solidly convinced that hitting the +2 -2 wall upon reaching tier 5 has driven off a lot of new players. I'm also solidly convinced that the folks who like +2 -2 are the hardcore tier 10 players who like to pad their precious stats on much weaker tier 8 ships.