You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xXx_Emeraldking208_xXx

Finally got North Carolina

7 comments in this topic

Members
307 posts
7,286 battles

After a few days of not so bad grinding, I finally got my hands on North Carolina. Now in my first random fight, I wasn't so good. That is frustrating especially how I was rocking Colorado before. I know the two ships have different play styles, but they have the same general idea of "don't flash your broadside" and "no short range combat".

So I need some tips so I can play her enjoyably and not be a big derp in her.

XX_Emeraldking_XX

[UDEAD]
Members
708 posts
6,755 battles

Bow on short/mid range combat is your friend in NC. Get in defensive positions central to the map overlooking the flank or two caps.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,051 posts
9,910 battles

This is one the of more challenging but also more rewarding BB out there. Once you got good in NC, you will have no problem driving any high tier BB.

A few key points I'd like to suggest:

Do not go bow-on too much. Too many people will tell you to go bow-on  in an NC. It is true that ship is relatively tanky going bow-on, at least when top tier. However, going bow-on makes you lose 33% of your fire power. Good cruiser players can also easily farm tons of HE damage on you

Use your concealment to get in and out of battle in early game. Snipe enemy ships that do not maneuver enough. The shell speed is slow so smart cruiser captain will be able to dodge them.  But they hit really hard on slow-turning BBs.

Always remember to angle. The ship has very squishy sides. It is not rare to see NC being devastated by other BBs.

Try not to Brawl equal or higher tier BBs. Iowa/Missouri might be an exception. But overall NC is not a good at doing that.

• Cool 1

[ANKER]
Members
15 posts
3,975 battles

Here are some things to understand about the next three ships in the American BB line.

First your speed, range, gun count, damage potential and accuracy all go up.  This lends the ships to a much different play style all together.  These ships like to hunt and move.  All of them can be played bow on and do okay.  I have found the better philosophy is to use the NC as a really big cruiser.  Keep moving, engage at range, be mindful of your broadside.  Punish anything that shows you theirs.

Next, they have week sides that get better with tier.  Especially with the NC on the first hull.  On the first hull pretend you are two turret BB, the rear turret angles are terrible and the armor is weaker.  Once you have all the upgrades start stretching the ships legs and moving around.

Note that the North Carolina class, South Dakota class, Iowa Class and Montana class have very big very heavy shells.  They love taking their time to get to target.  But with that comes two very nice features.  First they tend to stick in targets rather than bouncing.  Next if the target has a citidel they are very unlikely to overpen if you hit the citidel.  And finally the gun turrets on these ships like to rotate a bit on the faster side.

Another thing you will notice and should build for is AA defense.  Carriers a very rare, but when they show up, they can be nightmares.  The key with American BBs is that their AA is high enough that a carrier driver will likely look for something easier to deal with.

Members
22 posts
6,021 battles

Well....I have ground up to the NC twice and sold it twice.  A major reason is the sky high repair cost...I can't get anywhere in it without going broke.  I love my Colorado, and the higher tier ships just don't fit my style, which I'm fine with.  By comparison, this is what I've noticed between the two:

I like the NC's speed.  The Colo takes half the map to get up to a blistering 22 knots at best.  At least in the NC, you can move to where the action is.

The NC has sides made out of glass.  Really.  One of the things I love about the Colo is the incredible torp protection.  I have taken a six hit salvo and sailed blithely on.  A dolphin with a hammer can crack the hull of the NC.

Guns are good on the NC, bigger, and longer reach.

Bow on...yeah, really cuts your maneuvering.  I like to move around, having to protect my Steuben Crystal Glass sides from everything including rowboats really cramps my play style.

The NC looks really COOL.  Lean, mean, a fighting machine.  The Colo is kind of porky....but turns really well.  :)

Final thought...whatever floats your boat is your best bet.  I like the Colo., but understand those that think it's too slow, bloated and tanky...but I LIKE tanky.

• Cool 1