You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RighteousRhyno

Finally got the Nelson!

32 comments in this topic

[PNP]
Members
448 posts
3,939 battles

After a little more than a year of playing, I finally got Nelson. The Yamamoto supercontainers gave me enough FXP to get her. I have been enjoying her with Jack Dunkirk as the capt. and in a few games, I have been learning a lot about the Nelson.

• The bow-only rifles make it easy to destroy exposed DDs when the opportunity arrives.
  • Fires, fires all day.
  • She takes more damage that I'm quite used to, when comparing to the Gneisenau. 
  • Superior British heal can easily mend taken damage.
  • Her speed makes me feel like that I'm driving a Texas or Konig
  • This thing can be a big bully when it wants to :cap_haloween:

This ship is going to see a lot more action time, Nelson has a quite enjoyable gameplay experience. Thank you WG for this awesome ship!

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,244 posts
18,435 battles
1 hour ago, RighteousRhyno said:

This ship is going to see a lot more action time

When you keep getting your rear set on fire, look behind you; I may be there in a lower tier CL burning you to the waterline. Who ever thought putting all your turrets on one end of a ship was a good idea?

• Funny 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,448 posts
19,859 battles
3 hours ago, Umikami said:

When you keep getting your rear set on fire, look behind you; I may be there in a lower tier CL burning you to the waterline. Who ever thought putting all your turrets on one end of a ship was a good idea?

That's why most Nelson drivers are backing up as they fight! The only British BB to fight like a Frenchman...

• Cool 1

[APOC-]
Members
117 posts
4,740 battles
4 hours ago, Umikami said:

sorry. too busy kiting away with my superior HE to care. Oh wait you said lower tier? I'll just nuke the CL using superior AP then.

[APOC-]
Members
117 posts
4,740 battles
5 hours ago, RighteousRhyno said:

After a little more than a year of playing, I finally got Nelson. The Yamamoto supercontainers gave me enough FXP to get her. I have been enjoying her with Jack Dunkirk as the capt. and in a few games, I have been learning a lot about the Nelson.

• The bow-only rifles make it easy to destroy exposed CA/CLs+DDs when the opportunity arrives.

I fixed that first part for you.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,244 posts
18,435 battles
6 hours ago, Khafni said:

That's why most Nelson drivers are backing up as they fight! The only British BB to fight like a Frenchman...

That's funny because it's true!

5 hours ago, MVPBluntman said:

sorry. too busy kiting away with my superior HE to care. Oh wait you said lower tier? I'll just nuke the CL using superior AP then.

Nelson does have really good guns, but they only point in one direction; come at her from another direction and she's meat. Been there, done that, have the T-Shirt, and it's really ugly; for the Nelson.

-Members-
360 posts
194 battles

Congratulations on joining the Nelson Club! I'm not actually a member yet, but I don't know if I really like the way the ship looks. To me, it looks a bit too much like they slapped naval guns on a Top Fuel Dragster. Which sounds awesome, but just doesn't work for some reason.

[PNP]
Members
448 posts
3,939 battles
26 minutes ago, TugboatCommander said:

Top Fuel Dragster.

I wish it was a dragster. This thing isn't exactly warp speed fast. Perhaps using some high octane fuel will help? 

[CAST]
Members
4,898 posts
3,416 battles

Awesome, grats!

She's a great ship! Easily the best BB at tier 7 and one of the most enjoyable in the game. While she's susceptible to HE and can easily get citadeled when showing broadside, her capacity to always keep all nine guns on target, no matter where she turns, is amazing! Also, contrary to the Lion and Conqueror, she has a full load of Repair Party consumables as well as the typical BB cooldown. This ship is hard hitting bullying zombie.

P.S: She's a flanking ship. You absolutely need to ensure the enemy is ahead of you and never behind. If they are in front, it doesn't matter whether they are to the left or right, her turrets can fire at them.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[MKF]
Members
580 posts
20,397 battles
15 hours ago, Umikami said:

Fire is the last thing I fear in my nelson...

Members
698 posts
935 battles
16 hours ago, Umikami said:

When even RN BBs shoot fire at me I laugh and ask them to keep it coming, HE and fire damage are never worried about for me. In fact I welcome it whenever I take it out for the first time each day, gotta get those Dreadnought and Fireproof medals for easy flags.

[SYN]
Members
15,660 posts
12,778 battles

congrats.

Just try not to find yourself in a match with 2 Kaga.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,244 posts
18,435 battles
8 hours ago, Dath_1 said:

Fire is the last thing I fear in my nelson...

Heard that before, just before the ship went glug, glug, glug.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,141 posts
6 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Heard that before, just before the ship went glug, glug, glug.

Kentucky Fried Englishmen, Original, and Extra Crispy, compliments of that Atlanta that got behind you. Finger lickin good as the sharks would say, well, if they had fingers, or spoke.

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,244 posts
18,435 battles
1 minute ago, Doombeagle said:

Kentucky Fried Englishmen, Original, and Extra Crispy, compliments of that Atlanta that got behind you. Finger lickin good as the sharks would say, well, if they had fingers, or spoke.

I used a Cleveland but, ya, same result; fish with full bellies. I mean, I guess it's a good ship, but it burns whenever you look at it, and it has that HUGE front end which just screams "SHOOT ME!", and honestly the only really good thing I can see is it has great guns, which it does. They just don't point in some directions, and if you approach from those directions ... GLUG, GLUG, GLUG!

Members
90 posts
2,633 battles
On 2/18/2018 at 5:29 AM, Khafni said:

QFT. I find myself backing up ALL the time in the Nelson.. gotta keep those guns'o'fire on target!

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,448 posts
19,859 battles
10 hours ago, Umikami said:

I used a Cleveland but, ya, same result; fish with full bellies. I mean, I guess it's a good ship, but it burns whenever you look at it, and it has that HUGE front end which just screams "SHOOT ME!", and honestly the only really good thing I can see is it has great guns, which it does. They just don't point in some directions, and if you approach from those directions ... GLUG, GLUG, GLUG!

I have great fun in Nelson. I personally take the risk to let her health get way low just so I can see it all come back with that zombie heal.

I figure by the time in game that I have so little support to get a CL off my derrière then I have bigger problems. But I'm also not against doing a hard turn to cit/pen those little beasties with my HE, either. Just one swing around and the shoe is on the other foot. A risk but I take 'em to have fun watching the CL try to get insignificantly small. But HE don't care.

Feast or famine with her a lot but still fun.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,860 posts
4,861 battles

You will be surprised at how much it can heal if all you take is light or fire damage...while you spew away fire...

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles

I've really enjoyed the Nelson. It's one ship where I find the expert loader is really useful. The AP is great and the HE is sure to please. 

Ive got a terrible win rate in mine but it performs reasonably well if played to its strengths. 

Edited by Gascan75