You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ADM_Zakk_Zero

Disappointed with one aspect of what seems like an otherwise great Lyon

6 comments in this topic

Members
811 posts
4,250 battles

So I've been reading up on the history and details of all the French BBs, as well as watching the available vids and reading comments of players so I'm ready when they arrive. I hear and see a lot of good things about the Lyon, and I've been on the receiving end of it's fury a few times. Regardless of it being a lesser caliber than other ships, it seems like it can dish out a lot of pain.  That said, I was perplexed and disappointed the design of the ship that is in the game is different than what most sources indicate was the actual plan for the ship- 2 superfiring front turrets and 2 superfiring rear turrets.  I then learned some sources believe there was a possible alternative layout of 1+1+2 like the ship currently has in the game.  There is some debate on this, it seems.

I fear that yet again the "balance" demon struck again and now hinders- not completely ruins, but hinders- how good the ship could have been. In talking with players who are lucky enough to have it all echo the exact same thing: It's great but 2 + 2 would have been far better/more effective.  I can't see where it would be OP with 8 forward facing guns, especially with them being only 13"/340mm. If anything, 16 rifles shooting broadside is OP.  Most players say they frequently try to "fight from the butt" because of the 2 rear facing turrets, and claim they are far more successful that way without needing to angle, show a full broadside to risk being citadeled.  I've had mostly bad experiences chasing a few Lyons, yet I've had mostly success in charging them head on. I've been deleted almost any time I've seen one's full broadside- no matter if I'm angled or not.

I know they are great ships, so I'm not suggesting it's broken or anything of the sort. I'm sure they are going to be dealing out damage like crazy and will sink me many times. I'm just saddened it was launched with one hand tied behind it's back. It's still lethal, but A LOT less lethal. IMHO, overbalancing in the name of balance actually creates an unnatural and unpleasant imbalance- the opposite of a "fun and engaging" experience.

Edited by ADM_Zakk_Zero
  • Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,280 posts
18,459 battles
16 minutes ago, MountainManxDan said:

I believe its too strong right now.  

I believe it's a lot of fun right now, but compared to some other BBs in the game currently; no, I don't think it's OP, just good.

[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,273 battles
11 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I believe it's a lot of fun right now, but compared to some other BBs in the game currently; no, I don't think it's OP, just good.

Thats why I say now.  Once its available to everyone it will become easier for people to play against. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,280 posts
18,459 battles
9 hours ago, MountainManxDan said:

Thats why I say now.  Once its available to everyone it will become easier for people to play against. 

That's a good point!

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,992 battles
On 2/18/2018 at 12:03 AM, MountainManxDan said:

Yeah it definitely has that new ship flavor going for it meaning people haven't learned how to adapt to it yet. A lot like how the Tier 4/5 German BB's were for people at first. Although, in the case of Konig, it's still pretty strong.