Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
phsstpok

how much do you have to pay

16 comments in this topic

[-DTS-]
Members
8 posts
11,368 battles

How much does it cost to have the rng actually be fair? I have seen far to many salvos go both long and short while inline to believe this is random. i can get a hit rate of 40 percent in coop but less than 10 percent in random. That is not random luck, that is fixed. so how much do i have to pay to get fair hit rates?

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
915 posts
5,530 battles
4 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

Maybe if you ask politely they wont use their  "w a s d" hacks..

Sounds more like he's talking about straddling a target.  WASD has nothing to do with that. What may be an issue is the camo.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

What reticule do you use? Dynamic or the other one? 

What tiers do you play at? Co-op vs Randoms?

The reticules have different "base speeds" for the hash marks. Dynamic is at ~30knts and the other is at 21knts. If you change it between co-op and Randoms there's a requirement to adjust your leads. 

The Tiers are a decent gauge of "player skill" sure you'll find "below average" players. But if you playing randoms at higher tiers, they've developed skills to dodge shots; Speed adjustments, Turning away from HE, Angling against AP. The shells in-flight have different colours, so if they're tracking your shots, they know how to react. 

Also at higher tiers also have higher level CMDRs. Depending how they spec they might be 'stacking' Defensive skills. 

If they're at the lv19 range it could be as Defensive as:

PT - LS - Vig - CE - FP - BoS - HA

And if it's not something like the above, the combination of PT and IFA is a significant amount of information of the need to dodge. 

PT, Priority Target, tells the user how many ships are "Locked On" with main batteries. 

IFA, Incoming Fire Alert, while not as informative as PT, it does alert the user that shells were fired at the with a TTT longer than 6s. Which is a significant amount of time to dodge. 

So the combination of both tells how many potential ships are shooting at you AND that some of those ships are firing from a range far enough away to dodge the whole salvo or at the very least a significant portion. 

[VOP]
Members
509 posts
14 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

If you give me a dollar I can tell you about confirmation bias.

I love this line of reasoning too.  It can probably be used to refute any argument/complaint on any game forum anywhere with little effort from the poster. So, please quantify the type and amount of data you need to collect and how to collect it. Maybe a bored but industrious player can run an experiment and provide some conclusive results?  Maybe if he/she does good work WG will hire him/her?

Also in coop, bots are not outfitted with camo except I believe in operations.  Most pvp players equip camo and this will change your hit rate in addition to player maneuvering.

I do find the ballistics of the shell flight amusing, though. It is fun firing a single 2 gun turret and watch one shell land 1/4 ship length aft of a ship and the other land 1/4 ship length in front of the bow.

[CASUL]
Members
256 posts
3,751 battles
15 hours ago, phsstpok said:

How much does it cost to have the rng actually be fair? I have seen far to many salvos go both long and short while inline to believe this is random. i can get a hit rate of 40 percent in coop but less than 10 percent in random. That is not random luck, that is fixed. so how much do i have to pay to get fair hit rates?

Uh huh. I guess the whole world is out to get you.

If you have a hit rate of 10% in randoms, you have a PICNIC problem  (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer). From your later whines it's clear you have some misconceptions on how dispersion is implemented in this game or even how dispersion works in real life.

Simply put, any idiot can get high hit percentages in potato mode. The AI sails in straight lines, doesn't vary speeds,  and doesn't even nudge bearing to avoid shells. With real people they're constantly adjusting to the situation. They can change directions, turn a bit, slam on the brakes, or accelerate. The slight perturbations applied to shells at launch don't amount to a whole lot at short ranges but can become quite wide at max distance. Those two factors combined can easily throw your "god-like" hit percentage in co-op down the crapper pretty damn fast. Hitting in randoms is nothing like hitting in AI, except possibly in the lower levels where newer players don't know what they're doing.

And while RNG is always a source for complaints, it's much better  than the alternative. Only the die hard fans of this game would keep playing if they had to adjust for atmospheric and wave mechanics. 

[-DTS-]
Members
8 posts
11,368 battles
17 hours ago, Mainerd said:

Sounds more like he's talking about straddling a target.  WASD has nothing to do with that. What may be an issue is the camo.

I see Mainerd understood my post. This is exactly what I am talking about. Camo effects could be playing a roll here.

For Ivlerlin,

Reticules don't matter when my salvos are fairly well centered on the target. For the record I use one of the spider web reticules all the time, pretty sure it is not dynamic. If the reticules were calibrated it would have to be for speed at a constant distance to target. Changing either of those would throw off the calibration. I think the numbers are just a reference.

I usually play all my US bb's  most nights. T3 to T9. German bb's T5, T6, T8, and T9.  Got to rank 11 the last three seasons. I don't think the rewards are worth the effort above that. I play mostly coop because the games are usually quicker and there is far less whining about poor players and rotten teams. Recently I have been playing more random games, T5 and up, for the French bb rewards.

There certainly could be some observational bias going on here. I am human and therefore almost by definition biased. Still it seems to me there tends to be a hole in the middle of my patterns when playing vs people.

For the "you're too stoopid crowd"

I was offered a scholarship in astrophysics when I was 16. I understand math and stats.

I earned a Bachelor of Science ( since b followed by s gets censored ) in computer science. I understand RNG.

I target shoot as a hobby. I understand ballistics.

Edited by phsstpok

Beta Testers
1,631 posts
10,535 battles
11 minutes ago, phsstpok said:

I see Mainerd understood my post. This is exactly what I am talking about. Camo effects could be playing a roll here.

For Ivlerlin,

Reticules don't matter when my salvos are fairly well centered on the target. For the record I use one of the spider web reticules all the time, pretty sure it is not dynamic. If the reticules were calibrated it would have to be for speed at a constant distance to target. Changing either of those would throw off the calibration. I think the numbers are just a reference.

I usually play all my US bb's  most nights. T3 to T9. German bb's T5, T6, T8, and T9.  Got to rank 11 the last three seasons. I don't think the rewards are worth the effort above that. I play mostly coop because the games are usually quicker and there is far less whining about poor players and rotten teams. Recently I have been playing more random games, T5 and up, for the French bb rewards.

There certainly could be some observational bias going on here. I am human and therefore almost by definition biased. Still it seems to me there tends to be a hole in the middle of my patterns when playing vs people.

For the "you're too stoopid crowd"

I was offered a scholarship in astrophysics when I was 16. I understand math and stats.

I earned a Bachelor of Science ( since b followed by s gets censored ) in computer science. I understand RNG.

I target shoot as a hobby. I understand ballistics.

I don't trust anybody named for a Pak.  

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts
4 hours ago, Batavian1 said:

co-op is good for practice, players are better.

It's good for testing a ship you're unfamiliar with. If you actually want to use it for practice it will give you really really bad habits which will get you destroyed in regular matches.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
5,768 posts
13,136 battles
18 hours ago, phsstpok said:

$0.00 US.

Bots don't play as well as humans (well, most humans, anyway).  Especially when dodging shots.  AI cannot anticipate when to dodge incoming shells.

...but hey, pay up if it makes you feel any better.

Sign in to follow this