You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wombatmetal

French Cruisers - are they worth the grind?

33 comments in this topic

[WO0KY]
Members
4,104 posts
3,189 battles

I've been playing up the line, but really slowly because I don't find them interesting. I am only up to the Dougay-Trouin. It's kind of meh. 

But I picked up a DeGrasse in a Santa crate, and started playing this week and oh my, she's a lot of fun. So is it worth my pushing through the mehbote I'm on? Does the line get better?

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,322 battles

I love the De Grasse and the higher tier Frenchies are more like her.  The only hitch in the line for me was the La Gal (ok - not great).  One of my favorite lines overall.

[-KAK-]
Members
132 posts
6,182 battles

Henri's 240mm's are fun to play with, Algerie was the bump in the road for me.

After Charlie they play pretty similar

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,168 posts
3,967 battles

Yes. The entire line is amazing. The Tier 6 is the most frustrating ship IMO and still good.

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Oh my God, yes!

DT is equal to Kuma for best T4 cruiser

Emile Bertin is the best T5 cruiser

La Gal is wonderful fun since you can finally get that speed boost. Not the strongest, but one of the most fun. (A LOT like De Grasse)

Algerie is where you rip open the range. Farm Witherer from 15km and be untouchable because of your ridiculous accuracy, fire chance, speed, and rudder.

Charles Martel is awesome. Do everything the same as Algerie, but be more aggressive (better turret setup and faster speed boost)

Saint Louis is where I'm at, and is great fun. In exchange for the catapult fighter (vision) you get a heal, which lets you do all of the above and then ignore fires and some damage.

From what I hear, Henri is Saint Louis on steroids.

So yeah, go for it! Possibly my favorite line at present because they combine everything I love in cruisers: speed, stealth accuracy range, and B.S. fire spam. Together, these skills make a skilled captain infuriating and untouchable. If you find the grind rough, shoot me a div invite!

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

I'm at tier 9 and... uh... maybe? I dunno. They play like Americans with less armor, fewer (but more accurate, less floaty) guns, and torpedoes (of suspect utility). Honestly, I am of the opinion that German cruisers are more worthwhile, but I would probably rate the French ahead of the U.S. 

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow

[AAA]
Members
1,117 posts
12,392 battles

T3 friart was a seal clubbed. I’ll buy it back later. T4 was good but didn’t turn well. The EB was a blast. La Gal well she takes some getting used to. Play deep like bb deep and love acurate he at max range. Constant movement. I don’t push until late. It gets a bad wrap due to the slow speed and non existent aroumor but played to its strengths la gal isn’t terrible. It sets you up for the fun ships starting at t7

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
9,670 posts
17,623 battles

for me, the tX frenchie cruiser and the t5 cruiser are the best in there class/nation. T6-9 not so much since there is a lot of power creep happening in these tiers. but in those 2 tiers I wold argue best cruisers in there respective tiers and very strong.

Members
4,415 posts
17,984 battles

I played the French Cruiser line up to Saint Louie (tier 9) and with the exception of Jurien I found them to be overall good ships. I have De Grasse too and she's a excellent bote.

[AR]
Members
361 posts
16,137 battles

I decided the French cruisers were for me once I got to the T5 cruiser, Emile Bertin. When you slap the Sierra Mike on that beast, it will cruise around at 41.0 Knots. Now, if this thing had Engine boost, then it would easily be a ship that would have gone to 50 knots++. I still think it should be available. Emile Bertin also has fast turning turrets at 15s, don't need Expert Marksman, can get to any part of the map in such little time. La Galissonniere is a disappointment but great in it's own way. After T6, they just become more and more amazing.

Once you get passed DT, you will be amazed with EB, as this ship dethrones Murmansk as the best T5 cruiser.

Edited by Aiser50

[MPIRE]
Members
1,662 posts
22,352 battles

The Emile at T5 was a great ship and a lot of fun. The T6 was kinda boring, but I didn't hate it like so many people seem to. I personally did horribly with the T7-T9s. Well, I lost very consistently and more so than any other ship. I did well in terms of damage and kills, but always ended up on the losing team. I hated the T7 Algerie. But I really liked the T9 Saint Louis even though I lost the vast majority of games with her. Henry is a great cruiser and worth the grind. MM decided I was allowed to win again when I got to Henry.

[SYN]
Members
15,688 posts
12,778 battles

The T8 is the best of the higher tiers, and T5 is the best of the lower tiers.

Saint Louis and Henri IV are very meh

De Grasse is good, but I wouldn't call it amazing for its tier.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,377 posts
14,117 battles

French cruiser are really good but they heavily rely on good DD. Charles Martel and Saint Louis can somehow do some things alone without relying on the team but Henri isn't that kind of ship. Sure you can wander alone on a flank and shoot at some BB with worst concealment than you but you really need to maintain a safe distance if you want to survive under a sustain fire. But unlike Martel and Saint Louis, Henri get better armor and better gun so it's not so bad.

Grow some balls, push agressively without over extending yourself and dodge / angle incoming shells. You should be fine.  Also worth mentioning Henri is the only T10 cruiser able to lolpen / front citadel RN CL 

All low-mid tier French CA are meh-bad. I basically free XP all low tier ship, played the old Emile Bertin and free XP the ship, then I free XP half of the XP of La Gal. I can make her work but the ship is really meh. To me the French line start to shine at T7 with Algérie. 

Edited by AlcatrazNC

Members
100 posts
6,788 battles

The Henry is my favourite ship in the game. Crazy range, trolly armour, pin point accurate guns, high fire chance and the neeeeed for speeeeed.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,043 posts
7,683 battles

Depends on your play style, but I think French Cruisers are hands down the best HE spammers in the game.  If you like burning battleships, you can't go wrong with the French.  

Members
90 posts
2,633 battles

It's fun to go hunting DD's in an Emile.... they think they are going to get away, but NOPE! Sucka, you DEAD!

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
On 18/02/2018 at 12:53 AM, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

I've been playing up the line, but really slowly because I don't find them interesting. I am only up to the Dougay-Trouin. It's kind of meh. 

But I picked up a DeGrasse in a Santa crate, and started playing this week and oh my, she's a lot of fun. So is it worth my pushing through the mehbote I'm on? Does the line get better?

If you like to burn the world from range, than yes they are worth. 

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,860 posts
4,861 battles
35 minutes ago, Tronchaser said:

It's fun to go hunting DD's in an Emile.... they think they are going to get away, but NOPE! Sucka, you DEAD!

Bertin has very accurate gun at close range...what a pity it reloads as fast as a heavy cruiser for gun that caliber...