You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GabeTheDespot

What am I doing wrong?

7 comments in this topic

Members
484 posts
3,406 battles

I check my stats frequently for win rate and XP earned to see what my team contribution is. I also see several discontinuities between my stats and average stats.

Admiral Hipper- I have great damage and average XP (BB damage doesn’t net as much XP), but my win rate is 5% below average, no small amount. 

Ryujo- nearly a polar opposite, my damage is slightly above average, my XP is slightly below, and my win rate is 22% higher. WHAT THE HECK!?! 

For fun, Omaha- slightly above average damage and XP, and a familiar 25% ABOVE AVERAGE WIN RATE!!!! What is it with these discontinuities.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

A carrier will generally have a much greater impact on the outcome of a match than a cruiser will, and can do so consistently without scoring a whole lot of damage or XP--things like spotting enemy destroyers, denying airstrikes by the opposing carrier, etc., don't net you very much XP but they do help your teammates a great deal.  Although in this case your Ryujo sample size is pretty small, and I wouldn't put too much weight into things like WR just yet.

Just about everyone tends to play better in one type of ship than they do in others, whether due to familiarity, skill set, or just how well that ship type fits an individual's gaming mentality.  Looking at your stats, for example, I can see that you appear to be much more comfortable in cruisers; your WTR rating (which combines kills, damage done, and wins) is solidly above average in cruisers, while you clock in right about average in battleships & still have work to do in the other classes.  Given that you've played the vast majority of your games in battleships and cruisers, that's to be expected...as you devote more time to the other classes (if you decide you want to), your stats will improve there as well.

As far as why your win rate in the Hipper is lower than average, well again--the sample size isn't all that large.  One thing that could be affecting it is what kind of damage you're doing in that ship; burning down a lone battleship which isn't really threatening your teammates or any objectives will net you a lot of damage, but it won't have as much of an effect on who wins or loses as something like putting shells into an enemy destroyer on one of the caps would.  The same holds true for something like a YOLO torpedo run against 1 or 2 BBs early in a match...lots of damage & good XP, but it might have helped the team more if your ship were alive later in the battle.  Not saying that you are doing either of these things, just that these are two possibilities based solely upon your stats.

If you have replays enabled, you can try sharing one on the appropriate sub-forum here (Cruisers, for example), or send it to a community contributor like @Lord_Zath so that he can maybe give you some personalized analysis and advice.

[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,833 posts
19,862 battles

o/

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,851 battles
1 hour ago, GabeTheDespot said:

I check my stats frequently for win rate and XP earned to see what my team contribution is. I also see several discontinuities between my stats and average stats.

Admiral Hipper- I have great damage and average XP (BB damage doesn’t net as much XP), but my win rate is 5% below average, no small amount. 

Ryujo- nearly a polar opposite, my damage is slightly above average, my XP is slightly below, and my win rate is 22% higher. WHAT THE HECK!?! 

For fun, Omaha- slightly above average damage and XP, and a familiar 25% ABOVE AVERAGE WIN RATE!!!! What is it with these discontinuities.

What your doing wrong in my Humble opinion is caring so much about win rates were your control of the outcome is more luck on getting on good teams with a little or lot of help from Wows, I’ve come to suspect that Wows gives you what you need not what you want a much better indication of your team contribution is damage done

Members
2,842 posts
8,742 battles

Don't worry about win rates and stats. Go out and give it your very best. Period. Have fun and stats will be what they are.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
1 hour ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Personally, my "rules of thumb" for gauging my effective team contributions is the following:

Damage = 1x, 2x, 3x Ships HP (okay, good, great)

Likewise if it's (3/4, 1/2, 1/4) I usually feel "poor, bad, terrible" until I see the post-match score screen. 

I tend to skip to the next battle, unless there's a player I notice worth learning something from, match is a close contest, or if the team has been good on coms. 

I find that Win Rate can only be affected so much by personal play. If you pick the wrong flank at the start and the Reds take the opposite and steamroll through them; depending on the number of ships the destroyed significantly decreases you chances of winning. Even IF you've stabilized Your flank. 

Global stats are "Fun" to compare to Personal, but imo isn't a beneficial benchmark. The best benchmark is your Personal Averages VS Ship Averages.

If you're only comparing your Personal Ship avg. VS your Personal Overall avg. The comparisons you seeing are:

- Does X ship increase my overall stats.

- Does Y ship decrease my overall stats. 

- Does Z ship's performance match my current average. 

Members
484 posts
3,406 battles

Thanks, I was curious as to what it all meant as well. Being way better than average in Win Rate made me confused, as my team contribution wasn't all that high. 

Thanks for the stat benchmark, I think it will help me become better with these goals.