You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

What do we think the German battlecruiser tree will look like?

10 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

I almost feel like, in a way, this is a more complex question than the British BBs for a number of reasons:

1) The German advancements were less dramatic in terms of both size, speed, and gunpower. Therefore...

2) A lot of the most iconic German battlecruisers (that fought in almost every major North Sea engagement of the war) are very similar.

3) Later (WW2-era) design proposals were very UN-German in their abandonment of heavier armor schemes.

Basically, while there are a lot of options on the table, I am not sure there is a clear-cut path from tiers I-X (and IX and X will likely have to be complete fantasy).

However, here's one possible tree:

III: Von der Tann - basically the same layout/speed as the British Invincibles, but a clear trade-off of gunpower for FAR better armor.

IV: Moltke - a small size/gunpower/speed increase over Vonn der Tann. Although the later Derfflingers were built in direct response to the British Lions, in terms of raw strength equivalency, these ships could be considered on the same 'level' of power (we all know how absurdly powerful German turtleback is in WoWs). 

IV Premium: Seydlitz - I don't like this solution, because I think Seydlitz was a better ship than the Moltkes, but the fact that they mounted the same armament argues for no uptier. 

V: Derfflinger - This is another problem for me. While my gut tells me that a Derfflinger would smash a Renown IRL (if the Renown didn't run away; Lutzow sustained direct hits from 24 heavy-caliber shells at Jutland - this may not seem like many in WoWs terms, but IRL, it was an immense number [and had a tow been available, she might have made it back to port]). However, 8 x 12" just screams "NO HIGHER THAN TIER 5," so, reluctantly, that's where I put this class.

VI: Mackensen - Probably fits better than Derfflinger here, despite my reservations. 8 x 13.8 guns puts her basically on par with Dunkerque in terms of armament, but with FAR better armor. 

VII: Ersatz Yorck - Bayern's 8 x 15" are probably going to feel a little underwhelming at this tier, but it's possible that a modernized Ersatz Yorck would have made 30 knots with enough deck space for a respectable AA armament.

... and here's where we run into problems.

VIII: O-Class (please, God, no?) - Uh... yeah. And before somebody says it, no, the P-Class was much worse.

And that's it. So... does this tree turn to paper at tier 8 despite having a bevy of famous WWI designs to choose from? Is there something I'm missing here? 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,350 posts
17,564 battles

And your namesake as T5 premie.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

And your namesake as T5 premie.

I'd like to think so. She was sooooooooo pretty.

BfS58Xn.jpg

auLWVeV.jpg

vBdfFX9.jpg

Ij0QCqJ.jpg

Just so long as Hindenburg isn't the "base" design for the class. I feel like the Tripod really marred her sexiness.

SMS-Hindenburg.jpg

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow

Members
687 posts
7,080 battles

I like the idea, and really would be excited for a German battlecruiser line, but as thing stands, up to the tier 7 is ok i think, assuming this line of ships takes the slot of battleships. The tier 8, those O or P class things might be more in line as a higher tier cruiser of sorts, yknow like how theyre doing Krohnstandt. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,350 posts
17,564 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

I'd like to think so. She was sooooooooo pretty.

IKR! Nice pictures too.

k89y0.png

I even made a thread suggesting her as premie a while back.

That said, as pretty as she is, I think L20e is prettier:

2s7uzqr.png

Lutzow stands a far better chance of making it into this game though.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
4 minutes ago, cmdr_raccoon said:

I like the idea, and really would be excited for a German battlecruiser line, but as thing stands, up to the tier 7 is ok i think, assuming this line of ships takes the slot of battleships. The tier 8, those O or P class things might be more in line as a higher tier cruiser of sorts, yknow like how theyre doing Krohnstandt. 

I have a really hard time imagining that with a line as armor-intense as the German BCs are, that WG would choose to swap to a group of lightweights starting at tier 8. 

Members
4,221 posts
9,709 battles

You summed up the von der Tann well. The only thing you didn't mention is what a beautiful ship she is, surprisingly modern looking for her time:

5a88f648d1bab_FFVonderTann.jpg.0bee4c2208423b11656805fd4bedf8b2.jpg

Members
79 posts
12,356 battles

German Battlecruiser tree is a fantasy.  Will not happen unless WG's next new game bombs super big time.  They gave up on WW1 remember.  They have, at the new ship tree reduced pace, Game  enough main line trees for major powers good thru 2020/21.  After that ? Game is tapped out in 2024.  NA player base is not growing nor is Europe. WG said the game is in self sustain mode late last year.  that means 2 new lines a year at best and Gold ships.  Only getting 2 tree lines this year.

• Meh 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
18 minutes ago, Orca86 said:

German Battlecruiser tree is a fantasy.  Will not happen unless WG's next new game bombs super big time.  They gave up on WW1 remember.  They have, at the new ship tree reduced pace, Game  enough main line trees for major powers good thru 2020/21.  After that ? Game is tapped out in 2024.  NA player base is not growing nor is Europe. WG said the game is in self sustain mode late last year.  that means 2 new lines a year at best and Gold ships.  Only getting 2 tree lines this year.

Uh... what? You do realize that over half the BBs in the game right now are WWI designs, right?

Honestly, your entire post looks like trolling to me... two tech trees? No. Game tapped out by 2024? Who knows. And we have absolutely no information or statistics on server population, but if the game was in self-sustain mode, they wouldn't be doing anything but a few premiums, not tech trees where they make little income except from whales.

I don't think WoWs is some blowout, runaway, smash hit. But it's not WoWp 'help, I just picked my nose and suddenly burst into flame' bad, either.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow