You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
richie_macrophage

how 2 torpedo?

8 comments in this topic

Members
933 posts
4,061 battles

torpedoes were never a strong skill i've had. most of the time I only hit torpedoes when firing over an area, up close to the enemy, or that the enemy is actually just sailing in a straight line at low tiers. hitting torpedoes for me is something i need to work on. I've noticed a lot things that go wrong for me, like some planes are above to spot torpedoes so i can't launch my torpedoes or some ships turn away to change direction or retreat right after I launch. I've been looking at guides and stuff on how to become better at torpedo aiming but I feel like I could use more help. is there anything important i need to consider?

(my main torpedo ship i use is kamikaze)

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

There are so many How to's in the YouTube Videos. Plus so many ways to find what your looking for. My suggestion it go to the Training Room and Practice with a friend.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,143 posts
9,801 battles

Low and mid tiers, with some luck, you can banzai charge to get torps in at close range, but otherwise it takes practice. How fast is the ship going? How long do my torps take to reach that distance? Islands in the way? Any red DDs that'd see the torps?

The sheer uncertainty makes torp DD feast or famine. Good players will keep changing course, whereas bad ones (the sort that come here and cry--will sail in a straight line. Generally have to get a stupid opponent in order to get torp hits.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

A lot of it really is just experience; 400+ destroyer battles might seem like a lot, but in reality that's when all the stuff beyond the basics is just beginning to come together.  The fact that you're asking this question after already taking it upon yourself to look into the videos & "how to" guides speaks well of your chances of taking the next steps in DD play.

I see that you do have a lot of experience in other ships...a big part of notching torpedo hits is just putting yourself in the other ship's shoes & trying to figure out what you would do in his place (ships don't have shoes).  In some instances it's more obvious than in others--when the battleship you're stalking is about to pass between a couple of islands, there aren't many things he can do other than slow down or speed up.  In others it can involve looking at how he's likely to angle based on your teammates' positioning, whether he's likely to push forward or turn back, etc.  Sometimes it can take 4-5 salvos before I start to figure out how a particular opponent thinks & plays, and sometimes I never can predict his moves well enough to land any meaningful hits.

You are in one of the best DDs in the game to build torpedo skill with, so I'd say to just keep plugging away & try not to let the occasional poor game get you down.  As always, in games where you get sunk early stick around & try to observe a teammate who is doing well, especially when that teammate is also in a destroyer.  I'm not sure if you've looked through his videos yet, but Notser in particular has some excellent vids revolving around destroyer play and the mind games that can go on between a good DD player and a good BB on the other team.

EDIT: I meant to add, keep in mind that the absolute best destroyer players average around a 15% hit rate with Kamikaze torpedoes.  For a solid Kamikaze captain, missing 9 out of 10 torpedoes is absolutely normal.

Edited by Harv72b

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
34 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

There are so many How to's in the YouTube Videos. Plus so many ways to find what your looking for. My suggestion it go to the Training Room and Practice with a friend.

:Smile_great:

@OP.. Check out iChasegaming, Notser, Flambass, and Flamu on YouTube. 

Even if they don't have a guide, just watching vids with DDs makes a world of difference. 

Edited by Wulfgarn

[KWF]
Members
4,019 posts
6,169 battles

Everything of the above comments is mostly right. I would just add two things. First, if an enemy is using WASD hacks and you cant get torps on him, try and see for openings. Most players expect torpedoes to be coming from the location of the visible enemy ships, a good DD captain will try to  find a position to torp by finding an awkward angle for the enemy ship. For example launching torps from such a spot that in order to avoid em, the opponent has to change radically course and present broadside to any friendly BB. Secondly, try finding your optimal launch range, the range that guarantees a few hits while retaining the capability of being able to safely disengage while reloading. I think around 6.5 km is a good spot for the Kamikaze.