You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
fuwargamimg

406 or 420 in Grosser Kurfurst

406 or 420  

167 members have voted

1. 1. 406 or 420

17 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
5 battles

My GK is focused on AA/secondary and equipped with extended range for maximal gun performance. But I am still not sure whether to choose 406 or 420 gun. I tried both they feel very close to each other but 406 has 10% better reload time. If I choose 406, then I got the feeling that I am not using the largest caliber gun available, this might be a disadvantage. Could you share your opinion of which gun do you prefer and why?

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,960 posts
12,445 battles

406s have better penetration at close range, the 420s are better for long range. Both are good choices, it's just down to personal preference

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

Here is the penetration chart I did for all BBs, this way you can decide if the extra penetration is worth the extra reload

[WOLF6]
Members
854 posts
7,914 battles
6 hours ago, fuwargamimg said:

My GK is focused on AA/secondary and equipped with extended range for maximal gun performance. But I am still not sure whether to choose 406 or 420 gun. I tried both they feel very close to each other but 406 has 10% better reload time. If I choose 406, then I got the feeling that I am not using the largest caliber gun available, this might be a disadvantage. Could you share your opinion of which gun do you prefer and why?

I use the 420's on GK and the 406's on the FDG  , you might wanna rethink your build and focus on survival instead of secondaries though . Fire prevention Is more useful the way things are right now , secondaries ain't no good if you've been burnt to a crisp and the GK burns easily .

[PVE]
Members
11,264 posts
21,692 battles

I just got the GK yesterday and only have 1 game so running the 406's. I play Co-op so a secondary build is worthwhile as bots will actually fight you LOL. In the game I had I was in close vs Yamato, Iowa, Alabama, and Bismarck (me in center) and I sunk the Yam and wrecked the other 3 before I went down. The 406's did just fine.  I tried the 420's on FDG and was not impressed. Preferred the faster reload. Will try the 420's on GK but if they don't make a noticeable difference back to 406's. 25 sec reload + AR is a hard combo to beat.

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles
1 hour ago, fuwargamimg said:

I prefer use the 420's on the GK (preferred the 406 on the FdG). The 406's may pen better at close range, but for how much both the 406's and 420's pen at close range, I've never noticed a real difference. The 420's will give you more solid hits at long range from my subjective experience. Also, since they have a slower reload, skills that increase the reload have a greater effect on the 420's.

And am I reading that right and you are using the range module on your GK? If you are, drop that trash and put on the reload module. She already has enough range for how she should be played. If you are constantly using that extra range you are playing her wrong.

49 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

I use the 420's on GK and the 406's on the FDG  , you might wanna rethink your build and focus on survival instead of secondaries though . Fire prevention Is more useful the way things are right now , secondaries ain't no good if you've been burnt to a crisp and the GK burns easily .

If you like secondary build, play secondary build. I play her with PT, PM, AR, BoS, MFSA, AFT & CE with the upgrades AAM1, DCSM1, SBM1, DCSM2, CSM1, MBM3 and am averaging 112K in her per game. Don't let anyone tell you you need to build fire protection to have good games. Your build can help, but the player is MUCH more important.

Members
45 posts
8,765 battles

406’s.  24 second or so reload with 12 guns is pretty nice. As for penetration, got 4 cits on a Montana at 17km in one salvo this morning, who said German dispersion sucks!?  Anyway, never hear myself say, “ stupid shells never do any damage”

Members
484 posts
3,422 battles

The overall penetration is better for the 406s, but the alpha is better on the 420s. If you hate having shatters at close range, 406, if you have trouble maximizing higher DPM but can aim, 420s.

I don’t have GK on live server, but I went for the 406s on the PTS.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
1 hour ago, GabeTheDespot said:

The overall penetration is better for the 406s, but the alpha is better on the 420s. If you hate having shatters at close range, 406, if you have trouble maximizing higher DPM but can aim, 420s.

I don’t have GK on live server, but I went for the 406s on the PTS.

The 406 does not penetrate better than the 420, this is a penetration graph I made using the WoWS Fitting Tool. The penetration stays better through out the curve and I added the flight time to show they also flight at about the same speed over the same distance. For pure hitting power the 420s are better, the 406 offers more DPM

t9bbpen.thumb.png.7f919258e92e9efb35a7af595a27d536.png

T9bbflight.thumb.png.eda5a7ff30b7ff436e372c8bcf44e1d0.png

Members
484 posts
3,422 battles
10 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

The 406 does not penetrate better than the 420, this is a penetration graph I made using the WoWS Fitting Tool. The penetration stays better through out the curve and I added the flight time to show they also flight at about the same speed over the same distance. For pure hitting power the 420s are better, the 406 offers more DPM

t9bbpen.thumb.png.7f919258e92e9efb35a7af595a27d536.png

T9bbflight.thumb.png.eda5a7ff30b7ff436e372c8bcf44e1d0.png

Huh, must be a different chart then, or I can’t read, but the one I saw had 50mm better penetration for the 406s out of the muzzle and better pen until ~17km and at 20km the 420s had about 15mm more penetration.