You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Slayer

Spotting and Pushing: are they the same thing?

6 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
2,068 posts
11,439 battles

Domination battle on Two brothers, we started in the south.

Lo Yang, me in a Kutuzov, and another CA, backed by a Normandie. We preceded to the west with Lo Yang in the lead. Cap was starting to be taken before we got there, Lo Yang moved behind the island on the south end of the cap and proceeded west skirting the cap zone, dropping smoke behind the island. Upon popping out the otherside, several BBs and CAs became spotted. I turned and moved into the smoke, as did the other CA. Began to fire on enemy Bismarck in range. When I was spotted becuase of the DD smoke, I popped my own smoke, continued to fire on Bismarck and the other ships in range.

Then they all vanished.

LoYang was now sitting behind the island. Irritated becuase I and the CA had been holding off the BBs with HE fire, told the LoYang to spot ffs. bit salty but enemy was still about 8km away. DD said he didn't have any smoke and his torps were reloading. I repeated just spot them. Lo Yang immediately left the island and charged into the cap zone right at the enemy ships and was promptly deleted. His response was 'There I pushed. Are you happy?'

My response was push? who said anything about pushing. I wanted you to spot!

The LoYang replied that pushing and spotting were the same thing.

This led to an argument of no its not yes it is. I finally dropped it and promptly turned off the LoYang's chat from my screen. Another player then basically said I was getting toxic simple because he agreed with the DD that pushing and spotting are the same thing. My only 'toxic' comment I feel was the first spot ffs. Afterward, I said spotting and pushing are two different things.

So now let me ask you, the forum, which is it?

To me, pushing is obviously moving in towards the cap you wish to take.

Spotting, when I am in a DD, means I am not behind cover or smoke, keeping the red team ships in view, while staying out of detection range.

[BUNNY]
Members
260 posts
11,543 battles

Not the same. I can spot with a dd while maintaining concealment distance. Standing off rather than pushing forward

Members
31 posts
4,292 battles

Absolutely two different things, the only similarity is that you are moving towards an enemy.  Spotting with a DD is using your concealment to an advantage while you light up the enemy for your team (while using your torps to force them to move into a more compromising target or eat them), which obviously means that you can't hide behind islands or in smoke because you require sight lines.  Where Pushing is moving forward maintaining pressure on the enemies that the DD has lit up, hopefully prioritizing the targets that can counter the scouting ability of the DD (this is a common problem where targets lit don't get engaged).

Members
31 posts
4,292 battles
2 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Spotting is always priority 1.

Pushing isn't. 

Absolutely, for a DD.  It is better to abandon the cap for a few seconds while you light up the ships threatening you then go back to it so you can survive to rinse and repeat this at the other caps.