11 comments in this topic

Members
3,679 posts
7,766 battles

Second battle of the day with the Iron Duke; Jellicoe's flagship in the Battle of Jutland, he would be pleased to see her do well here.

5a88530852964_IronDuke.jpg.2e290bcc2876279d153924b0027d7f11.jpg

A very close battle and the reds had some fine players, the Giulio Cesare in particular--he got my compliments. The G.C. is a fine ship in good hands.

5a88542b9c66b_IronDuke2.jpg.6d2cbe81f56c0e396ba79eca65eb3f12.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
127 posts
1,528 battles

The 'Duke is a superb vessel when played right. I quite enjoy her myself, though I don't think I've done quite as well as your above battle. 

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,600 posts
3,603 battles

She is very meh but that's because ship is pretty much the same ship as the Orion, except you aren't just seeing T5 ships but T7 ships. Her AP is really good at deleting cruisers and DDs since they don't overpen much and when aimed at the upper belt of other BBs, she is perfectly capable of ripping 10-20k HP off of them. I specifically refused to use HE and I did pretty well with her AP. That said she racks up damage without much fanfare, I've had several matches where I was surprised how much damage I did without even scoring a citadel. Keep those guns singing and she'll treat you well

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

Iron Duke's problem is that her T4 counterpart is so OP and any serious non nominal buffs would make her a monster at a tier that already has too many of those(Kongo, Caesare, Gangut, Konig are all described by different people as OP). This isn't just for the good of the game though and balance, Iron Duke IRL was also not all that different from Orion's, as were the first KGV's, they were mass producing ships with the 13.5 inch guns that were more or less different variants of Orion, before the QE class. Iron Duke being bad at T5 is kind of historically accurate because she kind of is a really OP T4. 

[ARGSY]
Members
8,810 posts
5,932 battles

Nice figures.

I just got into this ship, so I am interested in good performers in her. What are you running as your modules, particularly in the 3rd slot? Choices I was considering as of this evening: turret rotation increase, aiming systems mod 1, or the 20% range increase etc. on my secondaries.

[S_B]
Members
417 posts
12,116 battles

Had some great games in the Iron Duke when I was grinding for the QE. I had two random battles in a row with over 100K damage and many fires. :cap_rambo: Got the QE and said OMG what a turd and sold it. The QE is by far the worse Tier 6 BB. Kept my Iron Duke for some tier 5 fun & HE spamming. 

Edited by dust340man

[SPTR]
Members
2,439 posts
2,295 battles
On 2/17/2018 at 5:20 PM, Aristotle83 said:

Iron Duke's problem is that her T4 counterpart is so OP and any serious non nominal buffs would make her a monster at a tier that already has too many of those(Kongo, Caesare, Gangut, Konig are all described by different people as OP). This isn't just for the good of the game though and balance, Iron Duke IRL was also not all that different from Orion's, as were the first KGV's, they were mass producing ships with the 13.5 inch guns that were more or less different variants of Orion, before the QE class. Iron Duke being bad at T5 is kind of historically accurate because she kind of is a really OP T4. 

agreed

My thoughts on Iron Duke:

Great ship overall, sure does lack a little in the speed department, but most T5 BBs do (Except Kongo, good god the thing is fast). All you need to do is keep your guns firing and use your BATTLECRUISER tactics. Historically this ship was a battlecruiser, meaning it lacks in heavy armor, however angling will pay you dividends much like the Kongo. HE gives most ships at tier hell because its broken RN HE, AP is good when enemy BBs are broadside but for cruisers you'll need to watch your range otherwise you'll get overpens. LOVING the HE citadel characteristic of the 13.5" guns, problem is it only works on broadside CLs that lack belt armor at close range, though I can say it's enjoyable when those stupid CLs decide to get up close and personal. I've heard secondaries on this line are good so i'm going to invest in BFT, AFT, and manual secondaries to see what i can do. May do the same for the French line i'll be restarting soon. QE isn't bad, in truth she's actually borderline OP like the Warspite. Having the biggest guns at-tier allowing you to overmatch anything is a characteristic I can be happy with. Plus the AA is competitive meaning if you play the ship right you won't have to worry about planes too much. But the RUDDER shift is insane, the d*mn thing turns on a dime! Hoping the grind is worth it.

Members
72 posts
3,536 battles

I prefer the Queen E class. But I always seem to do well with the Iron Duke. Maybe it's the just right ship at the right level for it's tier. 

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.