Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

Is the Loyang worth the doubloons?

19 comments in this topic

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I'm going to watch some vids and do some research later this evening, but I was curious if vets felt the Loyang is worth the doubloon cost...

[RG]
[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
6,902 battles

My ninth best overall DD, with a 60% WR after 63 battles. A Benson with one fewer gun and hydro. Gudebote!

[--K--]
Members
6,634 posts
14,449 battles

OP when they buffed the hydro range. Definitely worth it. One of the best cap contesting dds there is. Nice low concealment, US smoke, OP hydro, decent guns, meh torps. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,454 posts

OK, I just played the Loyang on the Corgi account. I got three kills and I am a mediocre DD player so I'd say that it's a pretty good ship. It's torps are not quite as long range as a Fletcher's but, at 9.2 km, they are adequate. It has accurate guns and a high rate of fire. It's easier to hit things with it than with the USN DDs I usually play. It has a 5.43 km hydro consumable and a detection of 5.8 km. The 6.7 km torps hit harder and are faster but that's cutting it pretty close.

Edited by Snargfargle

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts

Yes, but depends on how good a Benson player you are. She has 1 less gun and less HP in exchange for the Hydro. So if you play Benson as a torp boat + smoke and shoot BBs for fire damage, she's worse. But if you play Benson as a knifefighter and capper then she is better because the Hydro is OP in the absence of radar cruiser support. That said, I would wait until a doubloon sale to buy the doubloons, then wait until there is a sale in the tech tree.

Members
195 posts
4,478 battles

Use the 6.7km torps, and a concealment build with survivability expert. She is almost OP with her hydro, especially in ranked battles. You get her down to 5.8km concealment, gives you a hell of an advantage cap contesting, and sneaky torp boat in general. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,777 posts
22,134 battles

It is a good ship but it really depends if you want to do the PADDs. I have a Lo Yang, but rarely use it because I have plenty of other ships to play and have zero interest in the Pan Asian stuff. I regret buying it not because it is a bad ship, but out of lack of interest for an unremarkable line of ships from irrelevant navies. 

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

It is a good ship but it really depends if you want to do the PADDs. I have a Lo Yang, but rarely use it because I have plenty of other ships to play and have zero interest in the Pan Asian stuff. I regret buying it not because it is a bad ship, but out of lack of interest for an unremarkable line of ships from irrelevant navies. 

Yes, that's a big consideration for me. I'm not sure how soon or if I will explore that line. I'm not jumping into tier 8 just yet anyway, but I have 20k+ doubloons right now and am just considering down the road boats. I have no problem buying a boat and only using it in co-op for awhile whilst I run my tier 3-7 ships in random. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,777 posts
22,134 battles
11 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Yes, that's a big consideration for me. I'm not sure how soon or if I will explore that line. I'm not jumping into tier 8 just yet anyway, but I have 20k+ doubloons right now and am just considering down the road boats. I have no problem buying a boat and only using it in co-op for awhile whilst I run my tier 3-7 ships in random. 

Like I said it is a perfectly good ship, nothing really wrong with it. It is just a premium ship that has no value to me since I am not using the other PA ships. I prefer to have premiums, even crappy premiums, to use to help farm first win bonuses for whatever nation I am working on. I have all the USN, German, and Russian premium ships and they are a huge help to me when grinding captains up to 19 points or for banking elite captain xp for captains of other nations that I have fewer premium ships. I hope that makes sense. 

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Like I said it is a perfectly good ship, nothing really wrong with it. It is just a premium ship that has no value to me since I am not using the other PA ships. I prefer to have premiums, even crappy premiums, to use to help farm first win bonuses for whatever nation I am working on. I have all the USN, German, and Russian premium ships and they are a huge help to me when grinding captains up to 19 points or for banking elite captain xp for captains of other nations that I have fewer premium ships. I hope that makes sense. 

Absolutely does. Hey, I bought the Marblehead and Yubari on purpose for those same reasons. Yubari turned out to be a gem for me even though it's considered a mediocre ship by many. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,777 posts
22,134 battles
3 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Absolutely does. Hey, I bought the Marblehead and Yubari on purpose for those same reasons. Yubari turned out to be a gem for me even though it's considered a mediocre ship by many. 

Those are some fine ships, I enjoy both of them but I am a sucker for cruisers and cruiser play. Both will serve you quite well in co-op. Good luck to you! BTW the Katori plays very much like the Yubari only it is slower. She is a fun ship as well. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

Those are some fine ships, I enjoy both of them but I am a sucker for cruisers and cruiser play. Both will serve you quite well in co-op. Good luck to you!

I use those two in random...I meant the higher tier premiums I will use in cO-op until I'm ready for high tier play. Thanks for the well wishes. 

Supertester
442 posts
10,905 battles

I got mine in the christmas crates and I absolutely love it. When I play it, she feels like a tier 8 Z-52 with US smoke and worse torps. Great at contesting caps, pretty good guns, and reasonable torpedoes (better than Kidd's torpedoes at least lol). It's kinda of OP, not to the point where it can get removed forever, but pretty strong still. I definitely recommend it even if you're not planning on grinding the PA DD line.

Sign in to follow this