Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

Littorio Class Battleship in action

12 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

This is kind of a neat little video I stumbled onto tonight. Obviously, it leans a little severely to the propaganda-side of film, but there are a lot of cool interior shots you don't generally get to see of the Littorios, such as the bridge (which is, for some reason, a lot smaller than I envisioned), conning tower, and engine room.

Looks like their AA is about as effective as my Roma's - lone biplane makes a torpedo run? Of course he gets the drop off.

Edited by Cruiser_Fiume
  • Cool 6

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,762 posts
2,134 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol good video but can anyone make translation list of it into English?

That's a lot of audio to translate lol

[HINON]
7,762 posts
2,134 battles
2 hours ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

Looks like their AA is about as effective as my Roma's - lone biplane makes a torpedo run? Of course he gets the drop off.

iirc this footage was filmed on Vittorio Veneto during the Battle of Cape Spartivento.

The main reason VV and Giulio Cesare were late into the action was because of repeated torpedo bomber attacks, so you're probably only seeing one of many attackers.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,503 posts
14,140 battles
1 hour ago, Phoenix_jz said:

The main reason VV and Giulio Cesare were late into the action was because of repeated torpedo bomber attacks, so you're probably only seeing one of many attackers.

The torpedo drop at 0:33  is spliced in footage, I'm not even sure that it's a Swordfish, the proportions are off, and the farings over the wheels are making me think Vickers Vildebeest. Well, and I don't think the Italians would have had a camera crew in a plane flying off the attackers wing!

Entertaining footage though.

[HINON]
7,762 posts
2,134 battles
3 minutes ago, mofton said:

The torpedo drop at 0:33  is spliced in footage, I'm not even sure that it's a Swordfish, the proportions are off, and the farings over the wheels are making me think Vickers Vildebeest. Well, and I don't think the Italians would have had a camera crew in a plane flying off the attackers wing!

Entertaining footage though.

XD that's a good point. I hadn't watched before commenting, so I feel more than a little stupid now. I assumed, and, well, you know what they say when you assume..

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
5 hours ago, Phoenix_jz said:

XD that's a good point. I hadn't watched before commenting, so I feel more than a little stupid now. I assumed, and, well, you know what they say when you assume..

No worries. But yeah, I am pretty certain the planes are fake, and the 'enemy ships' in the video look to be Italian cruisers.

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,425 battles
9 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol good video but can anyone make translation list of it into English?

I'm half Racalmutese, Sicilian... maybe I can help.  You want to know what this means? ; )

scalia-gesture.jpg

Edited by lemekillmister

[LEGIT]
Members
2,219 posts
30,429 battles

All of those WW1 to WW2 battles must have been terrifying.  I can't imagine working in the magazine and hoping it doesn't have to be flooded, let alone give the order to do so.  Any place was subject to sudden and unpredictable carnage.  Maybe they could hear the rip of the shell that was going to kill them as it traveled it's inexorable line.  And being trapped below decks...

[HINON]
7,762 posts
2,134 battles
53 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

All of those WW1 to WW2 battles must have been terrifying.  I can't imagine working in the magazine and hoping it doesn't have to be flooded, let alone give the order to do so.  Any place was subject to sudden and unpredictable carnage.  Maybe they could hear the rip of the shell that was going to kill them as it traveled it's inexorable line.  And being trapped below decks...

Given the speeds those shells travelled, even after penetrating armor - if it was coming for you, you were dead before you realized it in most cases. Simply the shock from the impact could incapacitate, and if not that then splinters everywhere - and don't think tiny splinters, not from these shells. During the Second Battle of Sirte, a 381mm GP shell from the Littorio near-missed a British light cruiser, but still went off - and sent a 100 kg (220 lb) 'splinter' ripping through the hull and nine bulkheads before finally stopping on the opposite side of the ship. 

When you deal with artillery of this caliber, the forces involved are staggering compared to what the human body is usually capable of handling. Truly something terrifying to experience, if you've ever talked to someone on the receiving end of heavy artillery.

Sign in to follow this