You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jonesyrules15

AA rating

9 comments in this topic

[WISCO]
[WISCO]
Members
228 posts
7,258 battles

This question is about AA rating but I guess it applies to anything.  Say my tier 7 ship has a AA rating of 65.  Is that the same as a tier XYZ ship having a 65 AA rating or does it only apply to that tier?

[_ARP_]
Members
755 posts
34,823 battles

Rating of the aa kinda matters when facing cvs,  but the dpm matters a lot,  definitely the dp artillery , like the Atlanta main guns - it has less aa rating then Cleveland,  but it does shoot down more planes cuz of the dp artillery,  and manual aa skill one can take :-)

[-TAB-]
Beta Testers
133 posts
7,797 battles

AA rating is based off of a number of things for examples AA rating of 76 on a DD Tier 8  and a Tier 7 BB is going to be roughly the same DPS BUT each ship is different that DD could be a Akizuki and have 7.6km  long range AA guns vs a stock Lyon BB that has massive mid range under 5km AA. Each ships different

Edited by OppressorUnion

[STW-D]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,196 posts
15,518 battles

Rating is not exactly forthcoming. One ship can have an AA rating of 60 and still be outperformed in overall utility by one with, say, 50-55....

What matters is a) range and b) DPS at XYZ range. For instance, one BB might have better long range (76mm+ usually) AA DPS and the other may have better DPS at short/medium range. Both ships might kill roughly the same number of planes. One just might actually kill them before being dropped on.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles
47 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Rating is not exactly forthcoming. One ship can have an AA rating of 60 and still be outperformed in overall utility by one with, say, 50-55....

What matters is a) range and b) DPS at XYZ range. For instance, one BB might have better long range (76mm+ usually) AA DPS and the other may have better DPS at short/medium range. Both ships might kill roughly the same number of planes. One just might actually kill them before being dropped on.

I've never run a detailed analysis, but in general in game ratings are worth about as much as a chocolate fireguard I.e. complete driviel by and large, AAA bias strongly towards long range AAA and MCFAA affected AA, (which also tends to be long range), yet you'll get ships with low amounts of both having high ratings. As ever i'll point you to my AAA sheets, see my sig.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,236 posts
22,261 battles

There is one thing that AA rating does not show is if that ship has Manual AA trait.  An AA Cruiser / Battleship with an AA setup but has that expensive trait is a completely different AA threat than one that doesn't.  The trait doubles the DPS of 85mm+ AA mounts on a priority air target, but that doesn't show up as any increase in AA rating.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway