You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IcyThor

Is the Essex worth it?

5 comments in this topic

[DONUT]
Members
476 posts
6,730 battles

I have enough XP and coins to move up from the Lex to the Essex.  But after the "rebalance" I wonder if its worth it.  I get a few more planes and one more squadron but the planes are still T8.  I was really looking forward to owning the Midway but she has been downgraded also.  WG has taken away our choice of loads.  Maybe, USN CV T8-10 has become just a coop toy?

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Essex is definitely a step up from her predecessor with additional cruising speed and strong AA but she is a bit slow to turn and when up against other CVs she will begin to struggle. She is still a good ship though. If you want to learn how to play her to the best of her skills, keep an eye out for tutorial vids on Youtube :D they can be hugely helpful/ 

[DONUT]
Members
476 posts
6,730 battles
10 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

Essex is definitely a step up from her predecessor with additional cruising speed and strong AA but she is a bit slow to turn and when up against other CVs she will begin to struggle. She is still a good ship though. If you want to learn how to play her to the best of her skills, keep an eye out for tutorial vids on Youtube :D they can be hugely helpful/ 

I play a lot of Public Test, challenges, missions, campaigns.  That requires me to play a lot of different ships at different tiers.  It doesn't leave me time to become expert on one ship or one line of ships. 

Essex (at least for now) does offer 2 fighter squadrons and I like an AS set up.  I will probably give her a try. 

Thanks for your input. 

Icy

Members
2,633 posts
4,235 battles

Essex is in such a weird spot.  I can't really understand why,  but she's getting reamed by the Taiho right now.  USN FINALLY get back to having a fighter advantage but only shoot down, on average,  three more planes than the Taiho while the Taiho does over seventeen thousand damage on average.  I did a whole write up on the stats over on the How to Fix USN CV's topic.

I personally am still going to work my way up to her though,  being able to maintain air superiority over strike Taiho's is just too good to pass up.

Members
6 posts
1,200 battles

Hell no. I have it right now and I can say I lose way to much money on the thing. I assume it will get better though when my captain is trained on the ship, But unless your pushing out a [edited]ton of damage you'll end up losing money.