You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Player skill level seems to decline on the weekends

68 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,775 battles

I apologise for starting a new thread on this topic because I have seen it talked about before, but when I searched for it, nothing came up.

Two examples so far tonight:

1) In my Isokaze and doin' my torp boat thing.  Have red cruisers that pushed too far ahead of their dd screen so I put an island to my port side, go to the south end (still outside detection range) and turn broadside so that I can launch my torps (6 at about 6.5 km).  Classic dd move that even new players recognise as launching torps (and BTW, so did one of the smart red team cruisers).  Before I launched, I check the minimap and I have a Danae south of me, but he's turning to starboard so I'm thinking he's setting up his own torp shot so I launch my torps.  No sooner do I launch my torps than the Danae REVERSES COURSE and starts to make his own run at full speed (not smart because he is within detection range).  I message a warning, but he's SO focused on getting his kill that he drives right into one of my torp salvos.  He dies, and I get punished for it.

2) In my Sveltlana and working the NE Passage map. Message the team that we'll push the South and threaten their base (about half of our team with a mix of dds and cruisers and one BB), but we need the North group to leave our base and push west to keep their BBs occupied.  Everybody agrees so we sail forth.  The South group did well.  Lost a couple of ships early because they were overly aggressive, but we literally knocked them back away from their base.  Once I got a chance to catch my breath, I look at the minimap and I see that the North group is STILL defending our base.  They're not moving.  Meanwhile, the Northern red boats, seeing that our team is playing defensive, moves south and drives us back.  We die valiantly but we do die and then the red team turns north and overwhelmed our "smart" teammates who thought that they could sail out from our base towards the end of the game an "mop up".

I'm thinking that I should be more of a selfish player on the weekends since we have an influx of nuub players that don't respond or don't understand strategy?  I don't really enjoy playing that way, but I can.  And before you suggest it, yes I belong to a clan, but my highest-tiered ship is a VI so I can participate in clan battles (at least that's what I understand).

I'm getting better in every category except for win rate (see attached file).  The weekends kill me because my teammates aren't predictable.  Yes, I could play PvE but you and I both know it's not the same.

Progress.JPG

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,775 battles
2 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

What gave you your First Clue?

I don't understand the question.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 minutes ago, AMajor said:

I don't understand the question.

The weekends have been since the beginning a Potato Field. Play very early in AM  to avoid most bad potatoes. 3 am to 8 am

• Cool 1

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,819 battles
4 minutes ago, AMajor said:

I'm thinking that I should be more of a selfish player on the weekends since we have an influx of nuub players that don't respond or don't understand strategy? 

Are you sure it is just the other players?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
11 posts
2,093 battles

Yes weekend games are filled with less skilled people on average. Nothing new there. You should probably play higher tiers if you want less suicidal teammates. I'm sure high tiers are pretty bad at times as well but T3-T6 is where a lot of mistakes happen.

Members
4,415 posts
17,974 battles

There's spuds on both teams. One team is just less spudly than the other.

But if you think it's bad now on weekends, wait until Spring break and later Summer vacation!  :cap_haloween:

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
3 minutes ago, RuseCruise said:

Yes weekend games are filled with less skilled people on average. Nothing new there. You should probably play higher tiers if you want less suicidal teammates. I'm sure high tiers are pretty bad at times as well but T3-T6 is where a lot of mistakes happen.

I wouldn't expect much from most tier 3-4 players regardless.  Those are tiers for newbies, mostly.  Tiers 5-6, now you're talking about players who are starting to get a clue.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
3 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

There's spuds on both teams. One team is just less spudly than the other.

But if you think it's bad now on weekends, wait until Spring break and later Summer vacation!  :cap_haloween:

Or Christmas or Thanksgiving, etc., etc.

The spuds really come out during mashed potato season.

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,775 battles
7 minutes ago, TheHolySpork said:

Are you sure it is just the other players?

Pretty sure.  I"ve been divisioning up with other players who are much better than me than come down from their Tier X games to help me get better in my Tier V and VI boats.  I've also asked a lot of question in the forum and watched a lot of videos.  I can see my skill level getting better.

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,775 battles
9 minutes ago, ArchMadman said:

I've learned to never play on saturdays and Wednesdays for that matter

Wednesdays?  What do you think is going on?

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,819 battles
10 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Pretty sure.  I"ve been divisioning up with other players who are much better than me than come down from their Tier X games to help me get better in my Tier V and VI boats.  I've also asked a lot of question in the forum and watched a lot of videos.  I can see my skill level getting better.

8 minutes ago, uncLe_ownTer said:

Looks like you've been 49% for over 995 days.....Getting better you say.

^ This. If you really want to improve, look at your own performance first. So many days at below 50% suggests it is you... especially if "much better" players cannot carry you. 

The weekends are generally worse, but the stats you shared with us suggest the weekends are not dragging you down. You are performing at your skill level.

• Meh 1

Members
1,380 posts
4,100 battles

Can someone add the "this is the hundredth time we have created this thread, and we have became exceedingly efficient at it"  meme?

If the weekend players are so bad, and you so much better than them you feel entitled to complain:  then it should be even easier for you to influence the game/topscore/carry your team. You will be the only good player in a sea of terrible ones.

If, however, you are consistently losing to these potatoes...    ....it's like complaining you play football in the handicapped league and they consistently beat you...  :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,775 battles
3 minutes ago, uncLe_ownTer said:

Looks like you've been 49% for over 995 days.....Getting better you say.

Granted, I did hit a plateau for awhile, but over the last couple of months, I have made significant progress.  That isn't just me saying that.  I have better players than I am watching my progress.  I send them my replays and they help me analyse what I did right and wrong.

One of the players calls it my "Marine Response" (I was one MANY years ago).  1) I see a cruiser or BB in trouble, 2) I sail over and set a smoke screen in my dd, 3) As I turn to re engage the red team, my cruiser/BB is safe but now I'm the focus of their guns, 4) I die a valiant death, 5) my cruiser/BB that I saved does something dumb and he dies, 6) we lose the CAP and end up losing the game.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

weekend is more volatile, but not much worse overall.   the corgi event does create people to act stupid though.    still having a decent night for me.   66% wr after 15 matches.  few matches that I had to carry hard on.    (last match, kaga wanted my scharnhorst sunk.  he did eventually get me after 5 sorties, but I shot down 27 planes and kept him from killing other ship)       The common denominator of winning is carrying hard and not depending on others to carry you.  that does reduce the volatility.   

now, being a newer player, you have to expect those volatile days.  I have them where its a struggle to win 40%.     it happens.    do your best and move on.  in the long run, you get wr that you deserve.    

you are at low tier,    you need to do better  after 1k matches at t3 or t4.      higher tier is much tougher. 

Edited by centarina

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,441 posts

Im so bad, I got negged for (according to feisty PMs) being a useless DD who rushes into cap and dies in 3 minutes). I found this interesting as I lasted 14 minutes, solocapped 2 areas, got 80K spotting and 3 kills. Couldnt get the neg repper to tell me what more he wanted of me... just kept raging about how he keeps on losing games due to bad DDs. Guess I got the neg and not the other 4 DDs becasue I spawned near him and I was all he could see with his blind rage.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles

I can't get a win in my Z-23 to save my life.  Nothing but losses all day every time I try her.  And not close losses, but one blow out after another after another.

Play something else, and the results are completely different.  Plenty of wins, some losses, but decent teams.  But get in my Z-23, and it's rotten spud city.  Not just spuds, but  totally rotten useless as all get out spuds!  Argh!!!!  :Smile-angry:

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I can't get a win in my Z-23 to save my life.  Nothing but losses all day every time I try her.  And not close losses, but one blow out after another after another.

Play something else, and the results are completely different.  Plenty of wins, some losses, but decent teams.  But get in my Z-23, and it's rotten spud city.  Not just spuds, but  totally rotten useless as all get out spuds!  Argh!!!!  :Smile-angry:

i hated z23.   lack of conceal,   poor firepower etc.        z46 is a dream though.     kept it with z52.       of course, there is also MM curse , which seem to combine with the less performing bote.     lol.   in general, it is BBs for me.  I have least carry ability with BB even though my stats are decent (dmg/kill)      it is all about ceiling of the bote.   BB just have lower ceiling. 

Members
11 posts
2,093 battles
2 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Granted, I did hit a plateau for awhile, but over the last couple of months, I have made significant progress.  That isn't just me saying that.  I have better players than I am watching my progress.  I send them my replays and they help me analyse what I did right and wrong.

One of the players calls it my "Marine Response" (I was one MANY years ago).  1) I see a cruiser or BB in trouble, 2) I sail over and set a smoke screen in my dd, 3) As I turn to re engage the red team, my cruiser/BB is safe but now I'm the focus of their guns, 4) I die a valiant death, 5) my cruiser/BB that I saved does something dumb and he dies, 6) we lose the CAP and end up losing the game.

Well, when you put it that way, you make it sound like you're going out of your way to die, which isn't conducive to getting a better WR. The longer a good player stays alive the more they can affect the battle, especially in dd's. I'm nothing special myself keep in mind, but that is an observation from watching higher skilled players of the World of- games. Probably War Thunder too, but I don't watch much of that.

If you really want to get good, I would suggest 2 things:

1.Play like you are the captain of your ship, with hundreds of men at your command, hundreds of husbands and sons and brothers that all want to get home. Sounds silly, but it helps me try and at least make sure if i go down, i give as much as i get. Doesn't help my 30% survival rate but we don't talk about that.

2. get angry at yourself for dying. Or, for example, Teamkilling. not something I'm too familiar with, I haven't touched many dds these last couple months. Usually my anger goes from "Are you kidding me? god damn it. Why do I die so early in games?" to "I cant believe I let that happen. Why did I keep sailing towards a smoked up Farragut? Obviously he would send some torps my way. I could've just went full reverse and stood a better chance. Why didn't I just escape with my ship intact?" Just an example.

That sort of attitude makes it easy to spot your own mistakes and learn from them, which is more important to learn from than other people telling you what you did right or wrong.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
11 minutes ago, centarina said:

i hated z23.   lack of conceal,   poor firepower etc.        z46 is a dream though.     kept it with z52.       of course, there is also MM curse , which seem to combine with the less performing bote.     lol.   in general, it is BBs for me.  I have least carry ability with BB even though my stats are decent (dmg/kill)      it is all about ceiling of the bote.   BB just have lower ceiling. 

I also tend to hate the Z23.  A lot of people seem to swear by the 150's, but I don't really like them.  They remind me of IJN guns.  They can hit fairly hard, but the RoF is just so damned slow and doesn't feel comfortable on a DD, particularly in DDvDD duels.  The torps are ok.  And I can deal with the concealment.  It's not great, but sufficient.  

I also know that a lot of people love cap brawling while using its hydro.  But I just can't get comfortable cap brawling with a DD with such slow turning turrets and slow firing guns (the 150s).  I'm not that far from finishing the  grind (128k out of 150k needed), but my frustration is close to causing me to pull the trigger of free XP'ing out of this tub.