You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptHarlock_222

Normandie secondaries

3 comments in this topic

[KAPPA]
Members
1,326 posts
7,199 battles

I've been messing around with the Normandie for most of a day now and I've come to a couple of conclusions about it. First, this ship is pretty dog-gone fun with a 29.5 knot speed coupled with fairly long range secondaries. Second, the AA is non-existent, you really need an AA buddy if you get targeted by a CV. Playing her as a partial secondary build (no French captains trained up that high yet), I've noticed something that bugs me. Quite a few of her casemate mounted 139mm guns are severely limited in traverse despite clearly being capable of more traverse. I've noticed this on Kii as well with her 140mm guns, but it's not so severe in her case, and her secondaries are mostly for show in practice. Normandie strikes me as a secondary brawler, so it is very noticeable that several of her guns are so limited in traverse. I'm kind of curious if there might be some specific reason behind it, or are the devs just worried about the gunners not being able to use both sighting ports at once if the mount traverses as far as it should. If it were for balance reasons, you'd think that the 10 (9 with BFT) second reload on those 139s would be enough to keep them from being OP.

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
1 hour ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

I've been messing around with the Normandie for most of a day now and I've come to a couple of conclusions about it. First, this ship is pretty dog-gone fun with a 29.5 knot speed coupled with fairly long range secondaries. Second, the AA is non-existent, you really need an AA buddy if you get targeted by a CV. Playing her as a partial secondary build (no French captains trained up that high yet), I've noticed something that bugs me. Quite a few of her casemate mounted 139mm guns are severely limited in traverse despite clearly being capable of more traverse. I've noticed this on Kii as well with her 140mm guns, but it's not so severe in her case, and her secondaries are mostly for show in practice. Normandie strikes me as a secondary brawler, so it is very noticeable that several of her guns are so limited in traverse. I'm kind of curious if there might be some specific reason behind it, or are the devs just worried about the gunners not being able to use both sighting ports at once if the mount traverses as far as it should. If it were for balance reasons, you'd think that the 10 (9 with BFT) second reload on those 139s would be enough to keep them from being OP.

I believe we are the normandie guinea pigs in a perspex box.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,326 posts
7,199 battles

The thought had occurred to me that this was the case. At least they seemed to have learned the lesson after the Konigsberg incident and we look to be able to keep these boats when the rest of the line goes live. That bugged me a bit last time, I was rather fond of that little German cruiser when I first got it. (still am, but I haven't bought it back yet after selling it to fund something or another, might have been Zao)