Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cantgobacknow

New Mexico Rear Turrets Useless?

20 comments in this topic

Members
81 posts
459 battles

OK, so not useless, but I have to be nearly broadside to the enemy to use them. They don't point very far forward at all. And going broadside is bad right? I can't go broadside, fire, and then go bow-forward in less than about 30 seconds. How does one deal with this? I've seen videos saying you can be at a fairly shallow angle and have them fire frontally, but this has not been my experience at all.

Also, I note the rear turrets tend to be "lazy". Sometimes they point backwards when the front turrets point frontally at an angle, and the rear turrets won't move forward at all. Does anyone else notice this? Perhaps the rear turrets won't move unless my camera is facing in a direction in which they can be aimed?

Edited by cantgobacknow

[NG-NL]
Members
6,143 posts
9,801 battles

NM is fairly agile. Just go broadside after the red used his salvo, fire rear turrets, go bow-in again, and repeat.

Heck, you can do this with Colorado too. Only when it gets to NC (or facing short-reload BBs like Tirpitz) does this tactic become riskier.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,282 posts
18,459 battles
12 minutes ago, Reymu said:

NM is fairly agile. Just go broadside after the red used his salvo, fire rear turrets, go bow-in again, and repeat.

Heck, you can do this with Colorado too. Only when it gets to NC (or facing short-reload BBs like Tirpitz) does this tactic become riskier.

Or you could be like a large majority of the player community and just bow-tank, losing all your rear firepower, which sucks.

[KRAB]
Members
887 posts
7,326 battles

They seem to be able to fire 35 degrees off the bow - you will autobounce most shells but a few will penetrate,  especially near your front turret. 

Members
81 posts
459 battles
32 minutes ago, neworleanssaintsfan said:

The upgraded hull seems to have better angles. I don' know why else you would complaining about the NM turret angles, especially after the NY at tier 5.

I don't have the upgraded hull. It's better is it?

I didn't play a single match in the tier 5.

I'm not complaining. Perhaps you missed that I was asking questions?

Members
81 posts
459 battles
32 minutes ago, Reymu said:

This is an example of an agile battleship? Dang.

Broadside then bow forward, that could take roughly 30 seconds and would require that I be moving at a fair clip. Most people, even other battleships, will reload much faster than that would they not?

[HINON]
Members
12,835 posts
19 minutes ago, cantgobacknow said:

This is an example of an agile battleship? Dang.

Broadside then bow forward, that could take roughly 30 seconds and would require that I be moving at a fair clip. Most people, even other battleships, will reload much faster than that would they not?

This is just a learning opportunity. You have to time it right and fire while already starting to angle back. You have a pretty low battle count for t6. It wouldn't be a bad idea to practice some of these tactics at t4 where things are more forgiving.

Members
559 posts
3,883 battles

Yep, that whole line of bb's suffers from hard to use rear turrets. You do have to turn quite far to fire them, a good 45 degrees. And you will eat twice the damage you dish out, anyway, plus risk running aground. The new mexico actually isn't as bad as the Colorado in that regard. And if you aren't careful, the rear turrets will crank around to the wrong side of the ship, and take a really long time to get back to the side you need them on, also very frustrating. I wouldn't say the new mexico is agile, even as battleships go, but after suffering through a hundred battles in the Colorado, you will gain an appreciation for what it can do. I personally have the rudder upgraded.

Members
81 posts
459 battles
1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

They seem to be able to fire 35 degrees off the bow - you will autobounce most shells but a few will penetrate,  especially near your front turret. 

I'm on the stock hull, but it seems much closer to 60 degrees off the bow.

Members
81 posts
459 battles
29 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

And if you aren't careful, the rear turrets will crank around to the wrong side of the ship, and take a really long time to get back to the side you need them on, also very frustrating. I wouldn't say the new mexico is agile, even as battleships go, but after suffering through a hundred battles in the Colorado, you will gain an appreciation for what it can do. I personally have the rudder upgraded.

I use shift-x and ctrl-x to manage the turrets. Of course then I forget to turn off that lock before firing and waist shots.

Edited by cantgobacknow

0 posts

Trial and error. Figure out the situations where it's a wise idea to show more broadside and fire more guns.

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

To do it right you have to actually start turning your rudder back the other way several seconds before you shoot so the second your shot is off you are already starting to angle back again.  It takes a bit of practice but it definitely can be done inside a battleship reload at moderate ranges.

Members
81 posts
459 battles
39 minutes ago, mrh308 said:

To do it right you have to actually start turning your rudder back the other way several seconds before you shoot so the second your shot is off you are already starting to angle back again.  It takes a bit of practice but it definitely can be done inside a battleship reload at moderate ranges.

since the turrets turn very, very, slowly, I suppose they'd have to be pointing the exact correct way before I start turning the ship. Meaning I have to aim with the ship and not the guns?

Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,702 battles
2 minutes ago, cantgobacknow said:

since the turrets turn very, very, slowly, I suppose they'd have to be pointing the exact correct way before I start turning the ship. Meaning I have to aim with the ship and not the guns?

Exactly.  The right mouse button is your friend. 

[LEGIT]
Members
2,217 posts
30,380 battles

NM is pretty tanky.  You can have all your guns blasting and turn quickly too.  Same with Colorado, but NM rifles shoot flatter.  It's an awesome ship.  They're both really good actually.  But I can't make Colorado work in ranked.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
4 hours ago, cantgobacknow said:

OK, so not useless, but I have to be nearly broadside to the enemy to use them. They don't point very far forward at all. And going broadside is bad right? I can't go broadside, fire, and then go bow-forward in less than about 30 seconds. How does one deal with this? I've seen videos saying you can be at a fairly shallow angle and have them fire frontally, but this has not been my experience at all.

Also, I note the rear turrets tend to be "lazy". Sometimes they point backwards when the front turrets point frontally at an angle, and the rear turrets won't move forward at all. Does anyone else notice this? Perhaps the rear turrets won't move unless my camera is facing in a direction in which they can be aimed?

If you’ve really got less than 200 games, you’ve got a long way to go in just learning the basics.  Take your time.  Don’t rush through the tree.   Try different things.

To answer your question, no they are not useless.   You will learn to use them almost as much as the front turrets.  Learning how to get your guns pointing where you want them BEFORE you need them, how to maneuver your ship, when to hang back, when to push, where to go, etc etc etc is all stuff you will learn over time.

I would say get a LOT of games in at Tier 6 and below before you go any higher.  It’s just gets tougher and tougher.

It will probably take you 1,000 games to get the basics of battleship play down.  This game is a lot more complicated than it seems on the surface.

Members
81 posts
459 battles

I noticed sometimes my rear turrets are facing the enemy directly, the aiming reticle and aim point are perfectly aligned, the turrets are fully reloaded, but I can't fire. They stay green. I've no damage, they're reloaded, they're aimed at the ship, but the aiming reticle never turns green. Why might that be?

Members
81 posts
459 battles
12 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

If you’ve really got less than 200 games, you’ve got a long way to go in just learning the basics.  Take your time.  Don’t rush through the tree.   Try different things.

To answer your question, no they are not useless.   You will learn to use them almost as much as the front turrets.  Learning how to get your guns pointing where you want them BEFORE you need them, how to maneuver your ship, when to hang back, when to push, where to go, etc etc etc is all stuff you will learn over time.

I would say get a LOT of games in at Tier 6 and below before you go any higher.  It’s just gets tougher and tougher.

It will probably take you 1,000 games to get the basics of battleship play down.  This game is a lot more complicated than it seems on the surface.

I've about 60 games. But I know what I like and don't like. I'm all about how vehicles *appear*, regardless of stats. If I could get a tier 1 vehicle that visually looks like a tier 10 battleship (but with tier 1 stats) I'd happily play it and not need to progress.

I've 10,000 games in World of Tanks. They're really not so different if you abstract just a little. In fact I suspect all the same mechanics are at play and only vary by the exact values (spotting ranges, damage values, etc).

Sign in to follow this