You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

100 hits with any armament

31 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,828 battles

The Science of Victory Campaign, Mission 4, Task 9 requires that you get 100 hits with any armament in a Random fight with a Tier IV-X ship.  I could just skip it and do other tasks and still get through with Mission 4, but I'd like to try and take a crack at this one.  I'd like your advice on which ship to try it with, but there are some serious constraints because of where I am in the game so far:

1) My only Tier VI ships are USN and IJN dds

2) My Tier V cruisers are the Furutaka, the Omaha, and the Emerald

3) My St Louis could do it (she actually has), but she's a Tier III so she doesn't count

4) My Tier IV cruisers are the Kuma, Phoenix, Svietlana, Danae

5) BB play frustrates me because of the reload time, and I refuse to play CVs (I have another computer game where I get to play CVs and in that game, my planes have modern missiles :Smile_Default:

Is there anything that I currently have that you see me getting 100 hits in a game with?  Is a Clemson or a Kuma up to the challenge? if not, which Tier IV/V cruiser line that I have is worth grinding up to the next tier?

I like playing the campaigns because they encourage me to play outside of my comfort zone and strive to get better.

[NAM]
Members
2,151 posts
14,421 battles
2 minutes ago, AMajor said:

The Science of Victory Campaign, Mission 4, Task 9 requires that you get 100 hits with any armament in a Random fight with a Tier IV-X ship.  I could just skip it and do other tasks and still get through with Mission 4, but I'd like to try and take a crack at this one.  I'd like your advice on which ship to try it with, but there are some serious constraints because of where I am in the game so far:

3) My St Louis could do it (she actually has), but she's a Tier III so she doesn't count

5) BB play frustrates me because of the reload time, and I refuse to play CVs (I have another computer game where I get to play CVs and in that game, my planes have modern missiles :Smile_Default:

Is there anything that I currently have that you see me getting 100 hits in a game with?  Is a Clemson or a Kuma up to the challenge? if not, which Tier IV/V cruiser line that I have is worth grinding up to the next tier?

I like playing the campaigns because they encourage me to play outside of my comfort zone and strive to get better.

Literally everythin can get 100 hits quite easily (except for any ijn dd other then akizuki)

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

UK cruisers would be good for it. More guns than a destroyer, but you still have smoke, and the guns fire fast.

[NAM]
Members
2,151 posts
14,421 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

UK cruisers would be good for it. More guns than a destroyer, but you still have smoke, and the guns fire fast.

Yeh but UK cruisers have a very high skill floor (which is why i love emreald)

Members
559 posts
3,883 battles

I've gotten close in a tier 3 german cruiser. I avoid that challenge for now, a GOOD day in a battleship is 40 hits per game. And it has to be a long game, a lot of the shots are taken from extreme range, I don't see 100 hits happening in a battleship ever and I don't play anything else.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Omaha can get this done easily...I think I did it in the Marblehead, but I've put up 150-160 in the Omaha a bunch of times. 

Every one of your tier 4s can do it as well. 

Edited by BullpupWOT

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
Just now, JessieTheKitty said:

Yeh but UK cruisers have a very high skill floor (which is why i love emreald)

True, but it doesn't look like OP has many high tier ships, and low tier battleships scatter shot pretty bad.

[NAM]
Members
2,151 posts
14,421 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

True, but it doesn't look like OP has many high tier ships, and low tier battleships scatter shot pretty bad.

Yeh. Then again if OP understands concept of game, farragut, emerald, furutaka, danae, scietlana, kuma, pheonix, clemson are prefect

[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,767 battles

Svietlana has guns up to the eyeballs and not a bad rate of fire. I'd take her first. Then your fastest firing destroyer. If they're both out at once, take the Emerald, park in smoke and fire until the barrels melt.

Remember; you want HITS REGISTERED: you are not necessarily looking at end effect on target. I nominate the Sviet and the destroyer first because you can at least be setting fires with those hits. The Emerald, not so much.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,860 posts
4,861 battles

Soviet gunboat and cruisers...

The light cruisers (in your case, US and UK) would be your best bet. It's possible, but tier 5 is a tough spot to do it in. Maybe the Phoenix...or you should go to Cleveland - it has 12 barrels and much less flimsy. Farragut (T6 US DD) is viable if you can catch a battleship or two while you are in smoke. Just keep spewing those shells out.

[NAM]
Members
2,151 posts
14,421 battles
3 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

I've gotten close in a tier 3 german cruiser. I avoid that challenge for now, a GOOD day in a battleship is 40 hits per game. And it has to be a long game, a lot of the shots are taken from extreme range, I don't see 100 hits happening in a battleship ever and I don't play anything else.

See thats the problem. Gotta get closer in that BB. Hell normally i get 80-140 shells hit in my BB's i think my record was grosser kurfurst at 167 shells hit 230k dmg

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
8 minutes ago, AMajor said:

I have another computer game where I get to play CVs and in that game, my planes have modern missiles :Smile_Default:

Ejected from miramar?

[KRAB]
Members
888 posts
7,326 battles

If you have a Clemson just smoke up and spam HE at a battleship. You will get 100 hits within 2 smoke duration times. In general, DDs and CLs are best for hit-farming. 

[PRU]
Members
120 posts
4,700 battles

Yeah, you're overthinking this. Any ship with a decent number of secondaries. Remember, torps count in the final count as well.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
16 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

If you have a Clemson just smoke up and spam HE at a battleship. You will get 100 hits within 2 smoke duration times. In general, DDs and CLs are best for hit-farming. 

Yeah, Clemson is able to do this very easily.  It might take a couple tries depending on what matchmaking gives you, but you should be able to pull this off within a single session.

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,312 battles
37 minutes ago, AMajor said:

You need a good pew pew pew ship so lots of guns and fast reload times will help you the most.  On the ships you have I'd tend to look to the Phoenix, Omaha and Svietlana.  These have pretty large gun batteries that fire and train on target quickly so they should work well for this challenge.   If you want to try it in a DD, I'd probably go with the Clemson of possibly the Nicholas in her 5 main gun configuration but I still think the cruisers would be a better choice. 

Hope that helps. 

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,828 battles
32 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

ejected from miramar?

Nope,  Fleet Command

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
42 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

german bb secondaries get in close and wail

Thats true very true.......

I was fighting a bismarck at under 1 km range and we had over well over 200 secondary hits straight away.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, jdlobo said:

Yeah, you're overthinking this. Any ship with a decent number of secondaries. Remember, torps count in the final count as well.

You're not reading what the OP wrote.  Secondaries aren't going to matter diddly on the ships he has available to him at those tiers.  Frankly, secondaries don't start becoming useful until around tier 7.  

Members
2,633 posts
4,262 battles
3 hours ago, AMajor said:

So uh...I know this isn't helpful but what game is that?

Members
3,378 posts
14,155 battles

Play your Faragut and spam HE at everything. The goal is to score hit so fast firing ship will do the job