Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Canadatron

Tips to Save 100 Deaths

14 comments in this topic

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I've been a competitive gamer for a long time (shooters), and I've always approached video games with the same question as a new player:

"What tips do you have that could save me 100 deaths?"

I'm 2 years in and now the questions come at a much slower pace, and have an amazing group of players to help me with my head scratchers, however I didn't have that network of skill to draw from in the early, frustrating days.

What are some answers you would give to a new player if they asked you "What tip do you have that could save me 100 deaths?"

It can be obvious to some, but not everyone. I recall dying to an "invisible ship" in my very beginner matches and just not understanding what happened.... until I searched it out. IJN torp boats can stealth torp...noted.

Hopeful everyone of all skill levels can contribute to the discussion.

[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,016 battles

Maximize your minimap and train yourself to be constantly glancing at it.  It's very hard to get surprised that way.  Kiting away is a perfectly viable tactic, you don't have to press W and charge into the enemy until dead.

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 1

[5D2]
[5D2]
Members
384 posts
8,232 battles
9 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

Maximize your minimap and train yourself to be constantly glancing at it.  It's very hard to get surprised that way.  Kiting away is a perfectly viable tactic, you don't have to press W and charge into the enemy until dead.

This +100. Minimap and map awareness in general is a very late acquired skill for many. The faster you can pick this up the better. 

research your ships strengths and weaknesses. Use strengths and weaknesses to your advantage.

Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles

- As a high level DD, it is ok to not get in the cap right away if you don't know what is out there.   Learn what has radar and identify it sooner rather than later.

- The person kiting away has the advantage on the person chasing.

[HINON]
Members
12,851 posts

Always wear bright clothing while cycling at night . . . O wait you meant warships tips. Well use the WASD hack judiciously is one of the best tips I got early on.

• Funny 3

[--K--]
Members
6,634 posts
14,449 battles

Don't trust your team mates to do what you think they should do.

Don't put yourself in a spot where you could get blocked in. Always have 1 guaranteed out or 2 outs that aren't guaranteed.

[RBMK]
Members
251 posts
19,105 battles

Do not engage within your minimum surface detection unless you have perfect information and is guaranteed to win the engagement.

Being able to go dark and conceal is the single most important skill in WOWS

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

Turn alternative battle interface on to full and never change it.  I recently reinstalled the PT client and it reset everything.  I could not believe how blind I felt without that information.  I got wrecked in a DD when things were closer than I expected.  I turned that crapback on while sailing for the map border hoping I'd make it with smoke and boost running.  I recently played with a NM that was hoping in team chat to get 10k damage and a Nagato that wouldn't shoot a DD 6km away because he didn't think he could hit it.  The Nagato said he didn't have alternative battle interface on and I hope for the NM's sake that he didn't either.

Along with that, turn all the rings and options on for the minimap.  Only disable things as you find them being too cluttered or if you are certain you won't use that information for the ship (I typically don't show airspotting or AA range since its  a quick check).

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

Understand that you are going to make mistakes.  Try not to repeat them once you have:

1. Enable replays.
  2. Take the time to analyze how you died in each battle, why that death occurred, and what you could have done differently to avoid it.
  3. If you can't figure the above out, upload the replay and ask for help from the community.
  4. Listen to the advice you get with an open, but critical, mind.  Don't be afraid to ask for a better explanation or even to challenge the advice you get (in a polite manner); if you don't understand why you're doing something it becomes impossible for you to know when to do it.
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
27,162 posts
7,261 battles

Just because you can fire, doesn't mean you should.

Be aware of your concealment distance, and unless you're dealing reasonable damage and/or not worried about getting hit, stop firing when you reach it. (ideally, stop firing 20 seconds before you reach it)

I died so many times early on, because I would keep firing when running away, figuring that I might as well try to get a bit of damage in as I ran.

I knew how concealment worked, but somehow I was not comprehending that, if I stopped shooting, 20 seconds later I could also stop running away and being shot at.

I often see a lone DD running away from a BB or CA, pew-pewing away at near max range with 1 or 2 popguns, when if they had stopped firing and gone dark, they could have doubled back and be lining up a devastating torp attack.

Edited by Skpstr

[VX]
Members
18 posts
9,481 battles

+1 on minding the mini map!

When on battleship or cruiser I will target secondaries on any spotted DD early in the match, even if far distance away.

If a closer or higher concealment DD is exposed I will 'update' my targeting in case they accidentally break concealment when near me.

I find this helps to remind me for continual threat evaluation of things unseen. 

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles
3 hours ago, Harv72b said:

Understand that you are going to make mistakes.  Try not to repeat them once you have:

1. Enable replays.
  2. Take the time to analyze how you died in each battle, why that death occurred, and what you could have done differently to avoid it.
  3. If you can't figure the above out, upload the replay and ask for help from the community.
  4. Listen to the advice you get with an open, but critical, mind.  Don't be afraid to ask for a better explanation or even to challenge the advice you get (in a polite manner); if you don't understand why you're doing something it becomes impossible for you to know when to do it.

Definitely agree with all of the above. One of the things I enjoy most about this forum is the community and their willingness to help others. Thanks for sharing advice everyone!

Sign in to follow this