Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Warspawned

Konig Torpedo Protection

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles

Hey!

 

Was just looking over the armor layout on my Tier V Konig, and I noticed a pretty weak 25mm torpedo bulge.  In history it was 40mm...

 

That hurts a tier V Battleship when facing the horde of Torpedo bombers and ship-launched torpedoes.  Especially since it seems to me that the ship is designed to close with the enemy and engage in a brawl.  Is there some reason this hasn't been corrected?

 

Thanks!

 

~War~

Edited by Warspawned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
788
[HC]
Beta Testers
2,744 posts
12,287 battles

Torpedo protection doesn't care what the armor model has, Konig's got 24% bulge protection, WG worked this out from looking at the width of the TDS, how it was made, and probably adjusted it from there. The plating thickness is a part of it, but not knowing the formula, I can't know how important.

The 25mm you see in the armor model is basically just for shells and bombs. With the armor layout, a shell going through the bulge is probably going to overpen, go under the belt, and out the ship's bottom missing the citadel. With 40mm's of bulge, you'd be taking full pen damage from large rounds hitting the bulge.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
82 posts
1,305 battles
17 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

The 25mm you see in the armor model is basically just for shells and bombs. With the armor layout, a shell going through the bulge is probably going to overpen, go under the belt, and out the ship's bottom missing the citadel. With 40mm's of bulge, you'd be taking full pen damage from large rounds hitting the bulge.

Looking at the torpedo bulge....it's underwater.  I don't see that being hit by shells unless you're really hard over in a turn and very unlucky...

 

shot-18.02.16_10.59.49-0744.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,142
[NDA]
Supertester
3,925 posts
1,857 battles
Just now, Warspawned said:

Looking at the torpedo bulge....it's underwater.  I don't see that being hit by shells unless you're really hard over in a turn and very unlucky...

Actually, some ships in-game are very much capable of hitting below the waterline and penetrating.  The engine models the effect of the water on the shell before impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,151 posts
14,301 battles
1 minute ago, kerensky914 said:

Actually, some ships in-game are very much capable of hitting below the waterline and penetrating.  The engine models the effect of the water on the shell before impact.

Anything with a 8" gun or higher is able to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
82 posts
1,305 battles

Ah, good to know.  All my shells splash with no effect upon hitting the water next to the target :cap_wander:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,151 posts
14,301 battles
6 minutes ago, Warspawned said:

Ah, good to know.  All my shells splash with no effect upon hitting the water next to the target :cap_wander:

technically all shells even the 72mm guns can travel underwater. However they lose a lit of power and force once in contact. So usually any gun from 4"-7" has little impact with below the water line. 8"-18.1" are usually ableto pen. This also you have to take in account with how far away your shell should hit the water, and if its plunging fire or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,151 posts
14,301 battles
20 minutes ago, Warspawned said:

Ah, good to know.  All my shells splash with no effect upon hitting the water next to the target :cap_wander:

Drew a quick pic to explain.

if you hit too far from target hnder water shell wont pen.

4-7" shells normally have to hit very close to the ship in order to pen underwater.

8-18.1" shells can pen a bit further depending on cailbre of gun. 

However you have to account at which distance plunging fire takes into affect. Plunging fire is when your shell arcs come to a point where they begin hitting the ship from above at a 90-50 degree angle

image.jpg

Of corse this all relys on what type of armor enemy ship has

Edited by JessieTheKitty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×