You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
sPzAbt505

Survival rate - too high?

29 comments in this topic

[-TOG-]
Members
134 posts
5,901 battles

My stats per Warships Today:

https://na.warships.today/player/1000858923/sPzAbt505

Win rate, damage, XP, K/D, and rating all all above average - survival rate is way above average.

i wonder if I'm leaving damage, kills, and wins on the table by not playing as aggressively as I could - is it possible to trade survival rate for win rate?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,203 posts
13,798 battles

You are having a good run. All the other important stats are up too so you are doing something right, enjoy it while it lasts.

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,638 battles

I would say that the longer you are alive in a match, the more impact you can have. Trying to eke out a little extra damage at the cost of your ship is likely to just cost you the game.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

your survival rate should be near your winrate or slightly worse.   if not, you can take bit more risks which will help you win more.  

• Cool 2

Members
3,679 posts
7,971 battles
18 minutes ago, sPzAbt505 said:

Win rate, damage, XP, K/D, and rating all all above average - survival rate is way above average.

i wonder if I'm leaving damage, kills, and wins on the table by not playing as aggressively as I could - is it possible to trade survival rate for win rate?

Overall having a good survival rate isn't a bad thing. As long as you are afloat, even with just .01% of your hitpoints left, you still possess 100% of your firepower. Yet, ship type also matters. Having an uncanny survival ratio in USN, Russian and German destroyers could hint an overtly passive playstyle, while having a good survival ratio in cruisers should be viewed according to your damage dealt--good positioning? Or just too passive?

In battleships survival ratio doesn't really matter that much, damage mitigated and damage dealt matters much more. BBs are the inertia of the game, perhaps incapable to respond rapidly to the destroyers and cruisers' rapidly changing momentum, therefore getting caught out of position and into a crossfire is pretty common. Sometimes BB has to intentionally overextend to get into a cross firing position or two achieve a breakthrough.

Poor CV survival win rate just plainly indicates incompetence.

• Cool 3

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
22,561 battles
1 hour ago, sPzAbt505 said:

Ships in Port do zero DPM. Keep on keeping on. Driving to survive and deal damage will win you plenty of games.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
213 posts
7,328 battles

50% survival rate is not too high... actually it's a bit low.  If your intentions are to try to win when you hit the battle button more than the average player.. then you should continue to try to improve your survival rate.  

The good players in WoWs learn how to maximize their effectiveness throughout the battle while minimizing their risk.  What does this mean?  It means if you are able to positively impact the game for the majority of the time without dying.  Many players die because they make risky decisions often early in the game.  Generally speaking, your risk should start low early game (while being effective) and be reassessed as the game progresses  (based on score/time).

Most matches start as a 12 v 12, but many outcomes are determined when it is a 6v6 (for example) Mid to 2/3 of the way through the battle, many games are still winnable.. and still loseable..  Your goal should be to be in a good position and relatively healthy when it comes to this 6v6.  This is where you are able to more directly impact the outcome.  Not only your win %, but also your damage, kills, and survival % etc.  

Dying early to mid game and relying on your Random (mostly potato) teammates to win a game.. is definitely NOT a recommended strategy to improve your win %.  Thus, you should strive for a 60%+ survival rate while maintaining effectiveness.  Remember, not every Random player cares about winning or losing, many players hit the Battle button for different reasons and winning may be much further down the priority order (missions, grinding, sniping from the backline, yoloing, and hunting CV's may be higher priority).  

It's impossible to say how to truly improve survival rate as it comes down to simply becoming a "better player."  But if I were to offer 1 piece of advice for each ship type off the top of my head Id say:

DD - Scout / protect your team within reason - do not over extend.  You scout to provide a safety net for  your cruisers and bb's to move up - you don't over extend so that they can help you.  Remember, you don't want to trade evenly in gun fights with other dd's.  If you have more support, generally you want to take that fight.. if you don't have support - don't take the fight.  

Cruiser - Before you shoot - understand your positioning, understand where BB's and other cruisers are, understand your angling.  ANGLE FIRST SHOOT SECOND.  Use cover to your advantage.. gain more understanding in Line of Sight and Spotting Mechanics.  If you have a really good understanding in spotting mechanics, you can be a really good cruiser player.  If you don't, you will get deleted often.  

Battleship - Mid Range...  Position yourself so you can support your team - but know exactly what your disengagement plan is...  is that turning behind an island?  Is that simply to stop firing.  

Spotting mechanics and map awareness are the two most important factors in my opinion in improving survival % while being continously effective in battle = higher winrate%.  

Edited by Simers72
  • Cool 7
  • Meh 1

[CUTER]
Members
832 posts
25,046 battles
16 minutes ago, Simers72 said:

50% survival rate is not too high... actually it's a bit low.  If your intentions are to try to win when you hit the battle button more than the average player.. then you should continue to try to improve your survival rate.  

The good players in WoWs learn how to maximize their effectiveness throughout the battle while minimizing their risk.  What does this mean?  It means if you are able to positively impact the game for the majority of the time without dying.  Many players die because they make risky decisions often early in the game.  Generally speaking, your risk should start low early game (while being effective) and be reassessed as the game progresses  (based on score/time).

Most matches start as a 12 v 12, but many outcomes are determined when it is a 6v6 (for example) Mid to 2/3 of the way through the battle, many games are still winnable.. and still loseable..  Your goal should be to be in a good position and relatively healthy when it comes to this 6v6.  This is where you are able to more directly impact the outcome.  Not only your win %, but also your damage, kills, and survival % etc.  

Dying early to mid game and relying on your Random (mostly potato) teammates to win a game.. is definitely NOT a recommended strategy to improve your win %.  Thus, you should strive for a 60%+ survival rate while maintaining effectiveness.  Remember, not every Random player cares about winning or losing, many players hit the Battle button for different reasons and winning may be much further down the priority order (missions, grinding, sniping from the backline, yoloing, and hunting CV's may be higher priority).  

It's impossible to say how to truly improve survival rate as it comes down to simply becoming a "better player."  But if I were to offer 1 piece of advice for each ship type off the top of my head Id say:

DD - Scout / protect your team within reason - do not over extend.  You scout to provide a safety net for  your cruisers and bb's to move up - you don't over extend so that they can help you.  Remember, you don't want to trade evenly in gun fights with other dd's.  If you have more support, generally you want to take that fight.. if you don't have support - don't take the fight.  

Cruiser - Before you shoot - understand your positioning, understand where BB's and other cruisers are, understand your angling.  ANGLE FIRST SHOOT SECOND.  Use cover to your advantage.. gain more understanding in Line of Sight and Spotting Mechanics.  If you have a really good understanding in spotting mechanics, you can be a really good cruiser player.  If you don't, you will get deleted often.  

Battleship - Mid Range...  Position yourself so you can support your team - but know exactly what your disengagement plan is...  is that turning behind an island?  Is that simply to stop firing.  

Spotting mechanics and map awareness are the two most important factors in my opinion in improving survival % while being continously effective in battle = higher winrate%.  

Someone seriously needs to go through all the posts and pull out the nuggets like this one, which could greatly improve individual play.

Edited by KongoPride
  • Cool 2

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
1 hour ago, centarina said:

your survival rate should be near your winrate or slightly worse.   

I happened to notice that for myself on a few ships, (usually well played ones) that my Survival % was eerily similar to my WR % on many occasions.

Some examples that reflect this in my stats...

Gremmy: 63% Survival, 61% WR

Bogatyr: 67% Survival, 71% WR

Farragut: 55% Survival 59% WR

Gaede: 55% Survival 60% WR

Z-46: 52% Survival 51.7% WR :P

Neat huh?

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

this is my 90 day winrate vs survival rate.  yup it is interdasting. 

overall  60.75 wr, 56 sr

DD  63.02wr  54 sr

CA 67.6wr 64sr

bb 54.15 wr 55 sr

Edited by centarina

Beta Testers
1,519 posts
18,672 battles
3 hours ago, sPzAbt505 said:

I must be missing something, server average is 33% you are at 38%...good work, keep it up. Keep working on your average damage and stay alive while doing it.

[WOLF2]
Members
435 posts
8,383 battles

If anything your survival rate is low overall. However, you appear to be a player who's been improving your play quite a lot so you should be seeing it go up.

I mean theoretically if everyone was equal,  would you not win and survive 50% of your battles?

I think you'll find most "unicum" players have survival rates around %60 or more.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Go to the portal Op...pull up detailed stats in random games. Look at the Endurance stat in that section. 

I have survived 155 battles...in those 155 surviving battles, I have 126 victories. Last time I checked my maths, that's an 81% win rate in surviving battles. I only have an overall 49% win rate in 506 battles. 

^^This should tell you everything you need to know about the value of staying alive in WoWs. 

Edited by BullpupWOT

Members
1,380 posts
4,100 battles

This is really great advice. While there are youtubers, this is the sort of thing we are missing compared to WoT; that "WoTlabs"style advice.

You know, how to play your class, map advice, etc...

EDIT: Wonder what 42%er downvoted his post?

Edited by evilleMonkeigh

Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,577 battles

Your overall winrate is not off the charts by any means. Individual boat survivability is near server averages, give or take. Would not worry about it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,203 posts
13,798 battles

If you look at your detailed statistics on the portal there is Endurance with battles survived and victories in battles survived which for myself works out to a 78% win rate in battles survived. Staying alive is important but that can be taken too far to the point that you are not doing damage it will hurt your team, there is a time to attack and a time to not.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
857 posts
31,784 battles

Looking at your 30/90 day stats since I'm guessing the last 7 days with the corgi and French mission going on it's going to be skewed. I'm also just looking at your higher tier ships since that's what I'm guessing you're playing most. Take a look at wows-numbers.com. They do a better job at breaking out the ships instead of the classes and give you a 50, 25, 10 and 5 percentile on each ship. That will let you know where you stand in relation to the better players. Of course keep in mind you can manipulate stats all day to say what you want so look for generalities instead of minutia. 

As for your DD and Cruiser stats, I'd say you're likely a bit too conservative. Damage is a bit on the low side though the win rate's good. You could probably be a bit more aggressive. Your Fletcher xp/damage/frags is a bit on the low side. You did well on the Akasuki but I see you're still trying to figure out the Kag. Since your average tier DD played is 6.7, it looks like you're going back down to play lower tiers and not working much on your grind. That skews the stats since the meta at high tiers is different from low. At tier 7 is where DDs really start to play very differently from low tiers. It's where you can really start playing either the stealh torp or russian gunboat game. 

For cruisers, I'm guessing you're still leveling the Balti and Ibuki, but your NO stats are good, Mogami's low. T-8 is where it gets brutal for cruisers. I'm guessing you need to work on your map positioning so you can survive more and do more quality damage. Your frags are low so that makes me think you're farming BBs for damage, not killing DD/CLs when you can. 

Looking at your BB stats - keep in mind I am in no way a BB main. I'd say you're targeting more BB's than other classes. You're below average on frags but average on damage. That makes me think you're farming BBs instead of killing cruisers and DDs when you get the chance.  I'm assuming that your dreadnoughts are coming from BBs only, but 32 for 1000+ games with a 50% survival rate seems to indicate that you don't tank a bunch of damage for the team. 

[WOLF4]
Members
161 posts
3,812 battles
On 2/16/2018 at 10:52 AM, centarina said:

your survival rate should be near your winrate or slightly worse.   if not, you can take bit more risks which will help you win more.  

I agree with this.

Nice shooting OP.

[RKLES]
Members
12,093 posts
13,750 battles
On 2/16/2018 at 9:32 AM, BrushWolf said:

You are having a good run. All the other important stats are up too so you are doing something right, enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeah Month of March was the hardest of all on my WR likely because Soring break weeks are staggered though out the month. That will like be the OP hardest trial by fire on their stats.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,455 posts
11,239 battles
35 minutes ago, JochenHeiden said:

Survival rate?  What's that?

3a1e2c939d09193e3978139700b5e319.png

5.+ Kill Death in something other than a CV..   Division for the win :)

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,455 posts
11,239 battles
2 hours ago, h9k_a said:

Looking at your 30/90 day stats since I'm guessing the last 7 days with the corgi and French mission going on it's going to be skewed. I'm also just looking at your higher tier ships since that's what I'm guessing you're playing most. Take a look at wows-numbers.com. They do a better job at breaking out the ships instead of the classes and give you a 50, 25, 10 and 5 percentile on each ship. That will let you know where you stand in relation to the better players. Of course keep in mind you can manipulate stats all day to say what you want so look for generalities instead of minutia. 

As for your DD and Cruiser stats, I'd say you're likely a bit too conservative. Damage is a bit on the low side though the win rate's good. You could probably be a bit more aggressive. Your Fletcher xp/damage/frags is a bit on the low side. You did well on the Akasuki but I see you're still trying to figure out the Kag. Since your average tier DD played is 6.7, it looks like you're going back down to play lower tiers and not working much on your grind. That skews the stats since the meta at high tiers is different from low. At tier 7 is where DDs really start to play very differently from low tiers. It's where you can really start playing either the stealh torp or russian gunboat game. 

For cruisers, I'm guessing you're still leveling the Balti and Ibuki, but your NO stats are good, Mogami's low. T-8 is where it gets brutal for cruisers. I'm guessing you need to work on your map positioning so you can survive more and do more quality damage. Your frags are low so that makes me think you're farming BBs for damage, not killing DD/CLs when you can. 

Looking at your BB stats - keep in mind I am in no way a BB main. I'd say you're targeting more BB's than other classes. You're below average on frags but average on damage. That makes me think you're farming BBs instead of killing cruisers and DDs when you get the chance.  I'm assuming that your dreadnoughts are coming from BBs only, but 32 for 1000+ games with a 50% survival rate seems to indicate that you don't tank a bunch of damage for the team. 

Its all about the Damage isn't it lol...

Members
3,714 posts
On 2/16/2018 at 9:28 AM, sPzAbt505 said:

You can tell by looking at your hit rate.