You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

Just got the Cleveland yesterday and it's a Monster in the current operation.

64 comments in this topic

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I finally got to the Cleveland, so I thought I would grind at least one or two module upgrades in this week's Operation. Holy crap, even stock it is a monster in the Op. I didn't even buy modifications for the first battle and just punished the bots. I then gave it an AA build this morning and ran it once before coming to work. Still stock on modules and running no signals, it shot down 33 planes. I'm hoping I can learn its place in randoms fairly quickly. I think it's going to be a lot of fun. 

[SYN]
Members
5,818 posts
13,244 battles

Cleveland is a monster in every operation that it can participate in.  In fact, recently I've played the Cleveland in operations only.

Budyonny is great, too.  Especially in Aegis where you can get so many easy broadside shots.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts

Be sure to enjoy it while it lasts. When the USN cruiser split comes, Cleveland could be bumped to tier 8.

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles

I just ran my cleaver in ops last night for the first time and had a similar experience. Crazy good. 

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
6 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Be sure to enjoy it while it lasts. When the USN cruiser split comes, Cleveland could be bumped to tier 8.

If they do that, it would have to be buffed to fit the tier, no?

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
Just now, BullpupWOT said:

Yes, I have that one too. Agreed

It's citadel city with the boats that show up.

My first game in the Budyonny in the operation I had FOURTY-FIVE citadels, lol!

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
Just now, enderland07 said:

It's citadel city with the boats that show up.

My first game in the Budyonny in the operation I had FOURTY-FIVE citadels, lol!

45?  $hit, I was excited by 16. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,925 posts
1,888 battles
27 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Technically, they'll 'un-nerf' it to fit into the tier it should have been in all along.  Cleveland was heavily nerfed to shoehorn it into Tier 6.

Edited by kerensky914

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
Just now, kerensky914 said:

Technically, they'll 'un-nerf' it to fit into the tier it should have been in all along.

I guess I should have used the term "balance it for tier", not "buff". 

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
23 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Yes, most likely, but remember that there's a large shift in playstyle and gamesense required at T8+. So holding on to her to skip T7 isn't the greatest idea. 

Anyways, if you're looking for some fun factor for Cleveland. She's got the longest ranged Secondaries currently for her Teir. Also if you're indiffernt about turret traverse, the Turret module is a decrease in traverse speed for a 20% increase to RoF. 

Enjoy, she was once top of her class, but even though power crept, she still ranks in the upper echelons. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,925 posts
1,888 battles
Just now, BullpupWOT said:

I guess I should have used the term "balance it for tier", not "buff". 

Doesn't really matter, I was simply assuming you were unaware that Cleveland ... actually, it might have originally been Tier 8 back in Beta.  I wasn't here then but I seem to recall that coming up in discussions.  Anyway, when the game left beta, Cleveland was way overpowered at Tier 6, and got nerfed pretty hard.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,289 posts
22,304 battles

Cleveland is your Swiss Army Knife for Tier VI Ops.  DPM?  Best Tech Tree Ship AA until Tier VIII?  A Cruiser that doesn't implode by farting in its direction?  Always been a good choice.

When Cleveland leaves to go to Tier VIII for the USN Cruiser Line Split, tears will be shed.  But not by the CV players.  They'll lay out a red carpet and throw flowers to get her to leave Tier VI, and with her, the best AA those tiers.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, kerensky914 said:

Doesn't really matter, I was simply assuming you were unaware that Cleveland ... actually, it might have originally been Tier 8 back in Beta.  I wasn't here then but I seem to recall that coming up in discussions.  Anyway, when the game left beta, Cleveland was way overpowered at Tier 6, and got nerfed pretty hard.

Oh, I see. I'm definitely too new to know any of that. 

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Cleveland is your Swiss Army Knife for Tier VI Ops.  DPM?  Best Tech Tree Ship AA until Tier VIII?  A Cruiser that doesn't implode by farting in its direction?  Always been a good choice.

When Cleveland leaves to go to Tier VIII for the USN Cruiser Line Split, tears will be shed.  But not by the CV players.  They'll lay out a red carpet and throw flowers to get her to leave Tier VI, and with her, the best AA those tiers.

I know it's just bots on the Operation, but that AA was ridiculous...For some reason, the AA builds/gameplay tickle my fancy. I just enjoy that entire game mechanic, even if it I get sunk by a load of plane torps. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,925 posts
1,888 battles
3 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Oh, I see. I'm definitely too new to know any of that. 

No shame in that.   I was simply providing that knowledge. :)

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
25,289 posts
22,304 battles
40 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Yes, every ship that gets shuffled around into different tiers gets tweaked.

As for Upgrade Slot changes:  Since she's going to Tier VIII, she's guaranteed to access the upgrade slot appropriate for the tier, the slot that allows CSM1, TASM1, or SGM3.  Yes, Cleveland can be made stealthier.

I have another guess, but do not take this as Official Word, I would not be surprised if she gets Radar.  It's a feature that started with Tech Tree USN Cruisers in Tier VIII.

Of the USN Cruisers getting shuffled, IMO Cleveland will come out for the better, but she will face much tougher ships, all the way to Tier X.  But she should be improved via stats and upgrade slot access appropriate to Tier VIII.

Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore, all will be coming off worse since they will lose stats, upgrade slots, due to going 1 tier lower.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
Members
25,289 posts
22,304 battles
4 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

@HazeGrayUnderway,

So I should just concentrate on the Cleve for now and wait until after the split to get/run any of the others?  I figure that way, I won't have to feel like the ships have gotten worse. 

That's up to you.  Are you intent on grinding to Des Moines at Tier X?  Then keep working on it.

Personally, once you reach Tier X Des Moines, the only Cruisers in the USN Cruiser Line worth keeping are Des Moines herself and Cleveland.  The rest can go f--k themselves.  Except for those 2 ships, the rest are pretty awful.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,298 posts
18,473 battles
15 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

actually, it might have originally been Tier 8 back in Beta.

I was part of Closed Beta and when I saw Cleveland she was always tier 6, don't know about Alpha, but I think she was a 6 all through Beta.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

^^okay^^...haven't really set any long term plans yet except that I would like to sample all cruisers of all nations. I've pretty much decided I'll never play BBs at all except the occasional crate ship BB (I got the Dunquerke in a Xmas crate)

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts
49 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Pretty much what everyone has responded to you already. The downside is we won't get to play Cleveland in operations like Aegis anymore, so enjoy it while it lasts.