You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RU4Reel5050

Scatter

11 comments in this topic

Members
15 posts
1,514 battles

Why does all the ships SCATTER and not stay together as a fleet?  Isn't there more fire power in staying together?  Why do I look at the map sometimes and find ships hugging the bottom of the map?  Are they lost and can't find their way to the battle?  Just amazes me sometimes.  

[WOLF2]
Members
1,589 posts
10,241 battles

I've seen it both ways.   Whether it happens on a particular match is pretty much a coin toss.

Flotilla masses together, but keeps pushing, busting through the enemy flank and gets the reds on the run

Flotilla masses together, gets stuck at A cap, gets themselves flanked/surrounded, and sinks at A cap.

As far as hugging the border, yeah, that can be a problem.   Sometimes, it could be strategic - heading towards a corner with three or four ships chasing - that's good as it takes them out of the match, with your team not having to worry about their guns.

Sometimes, it'll be sniping BBs, playing long-range sniper.   And many times, so far back, they provide no support for mid-range fighting, usually leaving them the last ships standing.

Sometimes, it's self-preservation.   A couple of hits, slicing HP off their hull, and it's a hasty retreat (often, never to return, or just being a non-factor)

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I'm guilty of quite often trying to fight the flank I spawn on...problem is, I'm often not with enough ships to win said flank. I only end up retreating from action when I'm being focused by two or more ships. I actually retreated into a flotilla of five friendly ships last night and all 4 ships that had me focused just kept firing at me alone. I succumbed to the fire but the team won. I like to think I held their attention long enough in my Omaha (tier 7 battle) to allow my team to drain their hp.  

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Some ships need to fight at a distance because that's their only advantage. But most people who fight at a distance do so because they don't know how to survive at medium range.

As for why people go off alone, apparently they think they're Rambo.

[1RD]
Members
158 posts
15,068 battles

Welcome to WOWS..never know what you'll get from one day to another.

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
12 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Some ships need to fight at a distance because that's their only advantage. But most people who fight at a distance do so because they don't know how to survive at medium range.

No thats how we spawn alone and fight alone.

[REVY]
Members
2,057 posts
11,395 battles
37 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

Flotilla masses together, gets stuck at A cap, gets themselves flanked/surrounded, and sinks at A cap.

After a particularly painful match Epicenter loss on Trident, (Team started on the north side, and mostly balled up in the northwest side well out of the cap area, except for the DDs, which tried to cap), I have started to call the formation as 'loser balls'. Team literally circles each other and looks like a ball on the mini-map. It might have been useful if they actually went somewhere with it and their were CVs in the battle. But there were no CVs and they went nowhere.

Best as I could determine, the Red Team DDs were the Herding Dogs and our BBs and CAs were sheep.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,107 posts
7,218 battles

Why do teams scatter? Because unlike RL, there is no overall commander, and everybody is free to do what they think best.

I mean sure, I can fall in with that group of ships. But out of the 3 of them, 1 player spammed "Poi!" 15 times at match start, 1 started firing at random, and the last rammed the other two.

Why would I follow them? Better to be somewhere else and use them as decoys. If I go with them, I'm going to either get abandoned, rammed and turned into a sitting duck, TKed, or some combination of the 3, before getting reamed by the enemy.

Now, if I see a player I recognise, or from a clan I recognise as at least decent, or even if they're going a direction I agree with (and haven't demonstrated attention deficits) then I'm happy to group up with them.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
213 posts
7,328 battles

Ideally speaking...  DD's are scouting ahead of where they spawn (left, mid, and right) - Cruisers are medium range (closer or farther) depending on the ship - but either way supporting their DD's, and battleships are fighting at medium range - protecting both cruisers and dd's with firepower.   

If people actually played this way and simply went straight ahead and supported in this fashion.. there would be no need for flotilla flanking fleets.  

The ideal scenario in Wows is for ships to be roughly evenly spread out - thus creating crossfires...  and in many cases this is how players spawn.   The game actually sometimes puts you in situations where each different ship provide the necessary tools together to succeed on said spawn area/cap... yet the fundamental issue is that many players struggle to understand this - and feel that they are safer sailing to where other ships are... or essentially blobbing up - which does not create crossfires or flanking and allows the enemy team to easily angle.

TLDR:  Flotilla style generally doesn't work because it doesn't create cross fires and it limits map control (which limits vision) and overall effectiveness.  If ships generally supported other ship types (often times how they spawn) and contest the caps/sides they spawn on.. they will find generally more success.