You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OceanHavoc

FXP - Nelson or Mushashi

22 comments in this topic

[DAWGZ]
Members
48 posts
12,370 battles

Recently got the Mighty Mo and now started saving FXP for another ship.

Indecisive of whether I should get the Nelson first or rather save for the Mushashi? (eventually I would like to own them both)

What would you guys recommend I get first and why? 

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

It really doesn't matter if you ultimately plan to get both. However, a number of people on here swear by Nelson, whereas reaction to Musashi is much more mixed. Plus, the tier 7 game is go much more... fluid than tier 9.

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,638 battles

Mid-tier gameplay tends to be more fluid and fun than high-tier gameplay. If you're not a fan of either nation in particular, I would get Nelson just for the mid-tier gameplay.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

If you're doing the full grind and not planning on dumping dubloons, set your target for Musashi. 

That way, if for whatever reason they decide to pull Nelson from sale you should have enough FExp to purchase and restart your grind. Likewise, when they decide to pull Musashi for sale if you're not completed your FExp grind hopefully your at 375k (Nelson threshold) or high once it's announced. 

If they announce both are leaving at the same time your hooped and either need to make a decision of with one you want OR dish out the Dubloons. 

Personally I'm looking to acquire both, and the above strategy is what I'm currently using. Target is Musashi first, but if they announce Nelson's departure, then she'll see port before Musashi. 

Just trying to mitigate dubloon spending. 

• Cool 1

[APOC-]
Members
117 posts
4,740 battles

Nelson is fun for punishing midtiers, its when you hit 9's that you see her start to struggle. Izumos and Iowas can overmatch your bow pretty easily.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
6,224 posts
14,388 battles

Nelson is a unique ship.  Musashi is very similar to Yamato.  Because of that fact alone, I would get Nelson first (and did).

Musashi just got here.  She probably isn't leaving for a long time.

I bought Nelson after Christmas.  By taking advantage of high XP camo, the special high XP signal flags, the events with increased first win bonuses, and some premium time I won, I am already over halfway to Musashi.

You have time to get both, so I wouldn't fret about it too much.

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Love the Nelson. One of the most fun ships for me to play even though I'm a cruiser main. The AP is good, the HE is great, dispersion is wonderful, and you're an undying zombie.

[APOC-]
Members
117 posts
4,740 battles

Nelson is pretty well balanced, and that goes to show. The Offensive Capabilities are nice for the ship, same with the survivability, only issue is how squishy the ship can be and its tendency to take fires.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,043 posts
7,683 battles

If I were you I wouldn't spend any Free XP until they announce what is going to happen with the Kronshtadt.  Being a Tier 9 there is a chance it could be a Free XP ship, and if you're at all interested it wouldn't hurt to wait and see.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
1 minute ago, yashma said:

If I were you I wouldn't spend any Free XP until they announce what is going to happen with the Kronshtadt.  Being a Tier 9 there is a chance it could be a Free XP ship, and if you're at all interested it wouldn't hurt to wait and see.

Being T9 would place it at a similar price range as Mo and Mu. ~750k. 

Unless they consider "Cruisers" to be cheaper.. Or did they grant it BB status? Haven't been following the updates. 

Beta Testers
898 posts
14,840 battles

As somebody mentioned if you plan both so set goal for 750k and you can buy Nelson on the way :D I personally play Musashi more often then Nelson /but the reason is when i need to go t7 i pick Belfast /. 

Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,559 battles

Its a hard call to be honest made more so by the fact that there is a huge difference in cost. 

Nelson is excellent and fun....if you can find your comfort zone with the all turrets forward playstyle she had.  If you can't your going to hate it because she has one of the most vulnerable citadels in the game on a BB.  The Nelson is currently over performing quite a bit so due to the fact she has been around a while, I would say there is at least a moderate risk of it getting pulled soon.  You might want to take this into consideration on if you should get the Nelson first or not.

Musashi is also fun because it is never at a disadvantage due to Tier.  She is a consistent performer no matter what the MM does, well aside from dropping two CVs on each team anyway.  She just costs so much in the way of free XP that you might want to just get the long grind over and done with.  Unlike the Nelson, she doesn't bring anything unique to the table though.   The Musashi is also over performing so she might not stick around as long as the Missouri did so again something to consider if your looking long term anyway.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
113 posts
11,366 battles
1 hour ago, yashma said:

They've also hinted at a FXP tier IX DD in the newest reddit Q&A, so there's something else to grind for...

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
207 posts
13,916 battles

It really depends on your playing style. I have all three and I probably play the Nelson more than the other two simply because Tier VII is a lot more fun to play. As a previous poster mentioned, with the right flags and Camo, you can make the 375k FXP back pretty fast. I got a lot of Years camo from 2016/17 and Frosty fir from 2017/18 Santa crates so I use that on my premiums to generate more FXP.

If you can get used to the 3 forward turrets, Nelson is a blast to play. The big think for me is the ability to go from 25% HP to 90% with one very fast heal. 

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

I would say neither. Save FXP for another FXP which they will probably release "soon". I would hate to have spent all my FXP on a ship, only to have another one I really wanted come out and not be able to buy it.

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles

I have both.  Nelson is fun, no other way of putting it.  But, it all depends what your personal goals are.  Musashi does generate more XP, more free XP, and more commander XP (especially if you invest into HSF camo).  Also T7 games don’t count toward emblems - if you are into getting those.  Play style is actually somewhat similar, both ships have somewhat positional/static play, with bow on meta and weak AA, but Nelson does have better map selection.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,087 posts
5,314 battles

As others have said, Nelson does have better matchmaking, but it does have that bow-on style of gameplay a la Dunkerque. 

[-K-]
Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

The Missouri is superior to the Musashi.  There is no gameplay reason to get the Musashi when you already have the Missouri.  Nelson, on the other hand, is a spectacular tier 7 battleship.  It uptiers well due to its 16 inch guns and turret angles that allow you to stay mostly bow in to bad guys and it down tiers even better due to 16 inch lolpens of tier 5 and 6 ships.  The super heal makes the ship stupidly OP.  In fact, I would argue that in the hands of a competent captain, the Nelson is the most OP ship in the game.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
4 hours ago, CmdrVan said:

Recently got the Mighty Mo and now started saving FXP for another ship.

Indecisive of whether I should get the Nelson first or rather save for the Mushashi? (eventually I would like to own them both)

What would you guys recommend I get first and why? 

Both are good, but a dull play style.  Avoid them.  Wish I could sell you my Musashi.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,170 posts
4,954 battles

I was considering getting the Nelson, for the sheer fact it has NO-OTHER-SHIPS-LIKE-IT-IN-THE-GAME.

I have top tier ships that makes me my money, I'm more or less looking for something new and interesting to play.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
832 posts
5,090 battles

It really depends. Do you enjoy tier 5-9? Play Nelson. Do you enjoy Top tier games? Play Mushashi. Both great battleships