You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Berlimawurst

How Many of You Want to Choose Whether to Have a CV in a Match

How Many of You Want to Choose Whether to Have a CV in a Match  

174 members have voted

1. 1. How Many of You Want to Choose Whether to Have a CV in a Match

• Yes, I Want to be able to Choose Whether to Have a CV in a Match
    • No, status quo is fine.
    • Don't care

146 comments in this topic

[TF16]
Members
82 posts
5,606 battles

I think this feature in a game would be fatal for CVs because anyone who wants a CV in their game are probably going to be full AA spec so the CVs will be at a major disadvantage. 

• Cool 4

[HE]
Members
567 posts
10,813 battles
Just now, buzz_bomb said:

I think this feature in a game would be fatal for CVs because anyone who wants a CV in their game are probably going to be full AA spec so the CVs will be at a major disadvantage. 

The embarrassing situation is: if you don't spec for AA, you can surely be wrecked by CV. What about those ships that are at major disadvantage? Especially at higher tiers, there is barely any counter play if your ship don't have good AA. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
562 posts
3,511 battles
17 minutes ago, Plaatduutsch said:

The embarrassing situation is: if you don't spec for AA, you can surely be wrecked by CV. What about those ships that are at major disadvantage? Especially at higher tiers, there is barely any counter play if your ship don't have good AA. 

You can't have it all, that's what team mates are for.

• Cool 1

[HE]
Members
567 posts
10,813 battles
Just now, Stonehammers said:

You can't have it all, that's what team mates are for.

Sadly, if the friendly CV skill is inferior to enemy CV. You've got no chance. Especially true for high tier DDs. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors
940 posts
11,766 battles

I prefer CVs in game. Love trying to get more clear skies!

Members
6,284 posts
19,833 battles

Simply allow ships the ability to change consumables/upgrades once they know a CV is in the match. It's crap that we have to try to spec our ships for ship combat or air combat based on the certain percentage chance that a CV "might be in the game" where a CV never has to worry if he has his ship specced out correctly. Also, when a CV ques with a division he can bring two very strong AA ships with him to play against a bunch of randoms.

• Cool 1

Members
176 posts
3,358 battles
19 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Simply allow ships the ability to change consumables/upgrades once they know a CV is in the match. It's crap that we have to try to spec our ships for ship combat or air combat based on the certain percentage chance that a CV "might be in the game" where a CV never has to worry if he has his ship specced out correctly. Also, when a CV ques with a division he can bring two very strong AA ships with him to play against a bunch of randoms.

What about DDs that don;t have AA?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
113 posts
11,366 battles

Better yet: make having a CV a prerequisite for starting a match. If no CVs are availiable, assign an AI CV to each team. This solves the problem of how to build your ship, as there will always be a need for AA. (I'm partially joking, but WG needs to figure out CV balance, and it's not easy.)

[DAWGZ]
Members
48 posts
12,392 battles

So if "we" get to choose if we want CV's in the match does CVs get to choose if they want Clevelands, Atlantas and other AA spec ships in their match?
Just putting it out there...

Nah, leave CV's the way it is.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
6,284 posts
19,833 battles
6 minutes ago, Berlimawurst said:

What about DDs that don;t have AA?

Many dds have defensive fire, they also have smoke and are nimble enough to dodge CV attacks.

[HE]
Members
567 posts
10,813 battles
11 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Many dds have defensive fire, they also have smoke and are nimble enough to dodge CV attacks.

Only mid-high tier USN DDs and Groz have def AA. That's like less than 15% of total DDs, right?

Speaking of smoke and nimble DDs. Shima and Z52 are not nimble at all, and using smoke whenever planes come near you is tough decision

Edited by Plaatduutsch

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I honestly don't care.

I once played 40-60% of my matches in a CV during CBT. 

Once they forced MM to always be CV vs CV it became boring to me. It took the element of surprise out of the mix. Do I run Strike, 1-1-1, or AS? If you picked AS and there was no CV planes you were forced to adapt. If you picked Strike and there is no Red CV it was like it was your birthday. If it was Strike vs AS then you were forced to play cautiously with your planes and bait FTRs into friend AA ships. If you ran 1-1-1, then you simply had to ID what the Red CV was running and adjust your playstyle to best counter. 

IMO before 1v1 and 2v2 CV MM was the most fun as a CV player. It was intense when it was a CV match up. But when it wasn't you were given an opportunity to learn and understand which ships you shouldn't challenge early; Cleveland, NC, or Iowa for example. It also allowed PvP practice of Manual drops while not being harassed by enemy CAPs. Only worries were high AA valued ships and awareness of DFA.

Once CV vs CV MM was introduced I had one and 2 thoughts in my Loadout options. 1-1-1 or AS, Strike was too high risk / reward. It became stale and too intense for continued back to back matches; basically I quit being a CV main. Hell DDs have dream matches where it's almost all BBs and the Cruisers are all non-radar. Those "relaxing; easier" matches were taken away with forced MM. 

--- 

But this thread is probably more directed to Surface Ships rather than Flattops. While knowledge of what Consumable you should take is dependent on IF a CV is in the match is fairly straightforward; take DFA. Similarly if you know there won't be a CV present; take Hydro. 

As predominantly a Cruiser player knowing which one to take is extremely valuable. But it takes an element of realism out of the game. Yes, realism is taboo to talk about, but think about it. If a ship stationed in the Atlantic was transferred to the Pacific in WWII how skilled do you think their AA gunners would be? Likewise a ship stationed in the Pacific transferred to the Atlantic, how well skilled would their sonar crews be at detecting Torpedoes and Subs? Of course over time they'd be extremely good. But right off the bat?

Anyways, if a ship always has the correct Consumable that like always having a perfectly trained crew to combat the predetermined threat. If it's from the Air; DFA. If it's from DDs; Hydro. Currently the only ships capable of being prepared for both are USN and VMF CAs with both access to Radar AND DFA. But even then there's no EWS for Torpedoes unless they spec Vigilance. 

Getting ranty and side tracked... from the "honestly idk" vote. If I an option to opt-out of all CV matches was available, why should any ship ever pick DFA, or why even pick a nation that has strong AA? If there was a "Probability" value assigned to CV MM then that potentially would be interesting. 20% forecast for CV Match? Maybe it take Hydro; RNG rolls CV match. Likewise the reverse 80% forecast for CV match? Takes DFA; rolls non-CV. 

Foreknowledge of IF a CV might be present would be interesting as long as it's not 100% guaranteed in its prediction. 

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,142 posts
6,736 battles
43 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Clearly you've never operated a CV before.

US CV shows up with AP bombs and there are no German BB's.....US AP bombs are useless vs UK and US BB's.

CV divisions with AA heavy ships is a problem. CV's should not be able to division at all until they are redone.

Members
6,284 posts
19,833 battles
16 minutes ago, Plaatduutsch said:

Only mid-high tier USN DDs and Groz have def AA. That's like less than 15% of total DDs, right?

Speaking of smoke and nimble DDs. Shima and Z52 are not nimble at all, and using smoke whenever planes come near you is tough decision

What do you want a cloak of immunity? they are more nimble than other ships and they have smoke....plus if your CV is worth a crap he "should" be there protecting that DD.....But since we all know that most CV drivers suck.....it's now a "this isn't fair commentary on dd's " 

No one will complain harder concerning CV's than I. However I have no problem with them, just the absolute nubs that continually drive them.

Members
1,369 posts
16,676 battles

In real life I'm sure that military commanders would far prefer to know exactly the size and composition of the enemy forces they are about to go up against but it seldom works that way. Just ask the Japanese at Midway what kind of difference it makes.

Here in our artificial battles teams are about as evenly matched as the AI can manage and rather than finding out for yourself what's on the other team during game play you are showed right up front what ships you will be opposing.

But still that's not enough for some peacetime warriors who want to pick and choose what ships they go up against. Come on people and grow a pair; learn how to adapt and overcome those situations that may not be entirely in your favor.

Edited by CrazyHorse_Denver

Members
3,321 posts
6,702 battles

Enable Fulll manual AA on ALL ships so you can at least shoot for yourself and defend. Full manual means you aim and shoot yourself not a bot function. 

[4HIM]
Members
2,911 posts
11,290 battles

Until they're fixed, yes I'd like to opt out.  Reason being the CV influences the battle so heavily and CV play is so skill dependent.  If you have a match and both teams have 'good' CV drivers (an EXTREMELY rare occurrence) then they counter one another and the game is close.  But what happens 99% of CV matches is one team has a good CV player, and the other is about as useful as if they went AFK.  Those end up as roflstomps.  And those matches aren't enjoyable, no matter which side you're on.  

• Cool 1

[-REK-]
Members
130 posts
12,361 battles
2 hours ago, Plaatduutsch said:

Sadly, if the friendly CV skill is inferior to enemy CV. You've got no chance. Especially true for high tier DDs. 

This is very true!  

[APOC-]
Members
117 posts
4,740 battles

couldn't this have the potential to kill off the CV population if the instance arises that everyone chooses "No CV"? I dont see this as a viable solution to the CV problem over the current theorized solutions of fixing AA/CV mechanics on their own.

Edited by MVPBluntman

Members
3,321 posts
6,702 battles
4 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Until they're fixed, yes I'd like to opt out.  Reason being the CV influences the battle so heavily and CV play is so skill dependent.  If you have a match and both teams have 'good' CV drivers (an EXTREMELY rare occurrence) then they counter one another and the game is close.  But what happens 99% of CV matches is one team has a good CV player, and the other is about as useful as if they went AFK.  Those end up as roflstomps.  And those matches aren't enjoyable, no matter which side you're on.  

I think your absolutely right...CV's should be nerfed so that the airplane time in the air is restricted. They can only go half the distance and must return or they crash into the water and could be retrieved only by the CV for reuse.  I think CV projection of power is too OP so thats my suggestion.  This way DD's can get a sense of where the enemy CV is and avoid that area. 

• Boring 1

Members
6,284 posts
19,833 battles
1 minute ago, MVPBluntman said:

couldn't this have the potential to kill off the CV population if the instance arises that everyone chooses "No CV"? 

Image result for dancing gif

[RKLES]
Members
12,246 posts
13,897 battles
13 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Enable Fulll manual AA on ALL ships so you can at least shoot for yourself and defend. Full manual means you aim and shoot yourself not a bot function. 

In very least having Basic Fire Training and Advanced Fire Training  to not only help Secondaries, but also give reasonable boost to AA. My Yamato can do reasonable with BFT, AFT, Catapult Fighter as well as AA flag. You still oftennneeed AA Cruiser with you or a ship like AA Missouri, but at least even Yamato can defend itself. 

[HINON]
Members
12,851 posts

Sure and while we're at it give me a no dd option when in a bb and a no bb option when in a cruiser etc. 

• Cool 2