You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

Chelyabinsk - 5 Years Later

11 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,721 posts

In the morning sky over a sleepy Russian city, a bright light and a massive bang made thousands of Gopniks and Babushkas look to the sky and shout "Oi blin what was that?!" in what would become the most recorded meteor event in the history of mankind.
Traveling at a speed of almost 20km per second and weighing more than the Eiffel Tower, a piece of rock only the size of a small house created a blast of nearly 500 kilotons, the equivalent of Hiroshima being flattened 30 times over.   But as the meteor itself decide to visit at such a shallow angle, the epicentre was 30km due up, leaving the residents of Chelyabinsk and everyone within a 100km radius with ringing ears and a few cuts from flying glass.

Fragments of widely varying sizes have been recovered over the years, some even used as centrepieces in 2014 Olympic medals if they were won on the 15th of February~  If you want a piece for yourself, you can get them here:  http://galactic-stone.com/meteorites/meteorite-displays/ (Don't mind me, just helping a friend's business   xD )

Scott Manley has a wonderful video about the event and there are plenty of compilation videos around, here are a few I've dug up~

• Cool 3

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

That's pretty cool. I've actually never seen the footage of it before, incredible that it was able to do so much damage from that distance and spooky how it cast everything into darkness then bright light before it hit!

[-BMV-]
Members
1,227 posts
6,179 battles

I remember when that happened happened. The memes were pretty good.

"In Russia Space explore you!"

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

Pretty cool yet terrifying at the same time. I've never seen the footage from different people who experienced this before so that was awesome. I most likely would have been a bit freaked out. :fish_nerv:

[REVY]
Members
6,451 posts
5,168 battles

I find it interesting that it looks like an ICBM that's about the detonate, but everyone continues to walk and drive normally.  In movies, there's always panic, but here it looks more like the dear in headlight effect, nobody knows how to react because it's happening so fast.

Edited by Sventex

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles
19 hours ago, Sventex said:

I find it interesting that it looks like an ICBM that's about the detonate, but everyone continues to walk and drive normally.  In movies, there's always panic, but here it looks more like the dear in headlight effect, nobody knows how to react because it's happening so fast.

Very true! The noise alone was terrifying and with the flash added to it, no one knew how to really react.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,601 posts
4,602 battles

What I found most interesting was how disconnected the flash and the shock wave were. 

"Ooo look in the sky." 

"That's cool.  Now back to our meeting.  The last quarter was lousy, folks.  You better step it up or Gulag "

BOOM !!!

[TDG]
Members
1,784 posts
11,523 battles

Made determining the height the explosion easier based on the speed of sound..

Many were hurt when the window they were looking through at the cloud trail exploded due to the shockwave.

That shockwave made at least two trips around the world based on infrasound detectors.