You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gpc_4

Błyskawica

20 comments in this topic

[DHO-2]
[DHO-2]
Members
57 posts
3,809 battles

How's the Blys these days? Have been interested in it since it was released and now have some doubloons to spend. Also, thoughts on ideal commander skill progressions and builds would be appreciated. Many thanks.

I know it lost its stealth fire specialty and that there will probably never be a tech tree line :)

[BOTES]
Members
2,130 posts
7,608 battles

I can't comment on how it is today relative to the past because I bought it after OWSF was removed, but I think it's the scariest DD to run into at T7. I play it like a Khab. If you feel that 12km range is enough, swapping AFT and AR for DE and BFT is a welcome DPM increase. I'm content with the fire chance as is but you can always go for overkill.

Always be sure to use EBM1 and SMs for additional speed. If you thought Khab was irritating to shoot at, try hitting a Blys going 45kt at 14km.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011010001000000100119

Edited by awildseaking
  • Cool 1

[DHO-2]
[DHO-2]
Members
57 posts
3,809 battles
3 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

I can't comment on how it is today relative to the past because I bought it after OWSF was removed, but I think it's the scariest DD to run into at T7. I play it like a Khab. If you feel that 12km range is enough, swapping AFT and AR for DE and BFT is a welcome DPM increase. I'm content with the fire chance as is but you can always go for overkill.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011010001000000100119

To AFT or not was something I was considering.

Alpha Tester
6,218 posts
3,079 battles

She's still a fearsome gunboat, but you need to play her with a large amount of caution. Her concealment is good, but not amazing (6.8 km with CE) and people like to see her die. I got her back when stealth firing was a thing and before Radar was so prevalent and I still find myself being overly aggressive in her. As for skills, I'd go with Priority Target, Last Stand, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, AFT, BFT, and CE.

• Cool 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles
13 minutes ago, gpc_4 said:

How's the Blys these days? Have been interested in it since it was released and now have some doubloons to spend. Also, thoughts on ideal commander skill progressions and builds would be appreciated. Many thanks.

I know it lost its stealth fire specialty and that there will probably never be a tech tree line :)

I dont seem to see them nearly as much as I used to a year or so back.  Stealth firing removal seemed to cheese off a lot of Blys drivers.  I think its a good DD.  Decent torps -- good guns -- decent speed and agility.  Not sure why its declined in the frequency of matches I play in.  Other folks sightings may vary.   

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

It is still a great DD. I do ok to real good in it. With the right skills in for the captain her range is just over 14km and the guns are very potent even at range. I play it like a fast firing cruiser that is a lot harder to hit.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
18 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

I dont seem to see them nearly as much as I used to a year or so back.  Stealth firing removal seemed to cheese off a lot of Blys drivers.  I think its a good DD.  Decent torps -- good guns -- decent speed and agility.  Not sure why its declined in the frequency of matches I play in.  Other folks sightings may vary.   

I think that this is true of all premium ships.  When they first come out, they're really popular.  But after a while, there are other new toys to play with.  And the Blys has, IMO, one strike against it that can't be overcome right now.  There's no Polish tech tree nor a Pan-European tree for it to be used in as a trainer.  So, it takes forever to train up a good captain, and until there's some tech tree for it to support, it's just a standalone ship.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

Well worth the doubloons.  I was one of the people who never really used her as an OWSF platform anyway, so the change didn't really affect me.

I would go with the standard PM & LS to start with, then grab BFT as my first 3rd tier skill.  Just about all of the 3rd tier captain skills work well with Blys, but I prefer to increase the ROF first for the help it gives in both primary roles (hunting down DDs, burning down BBs).  Of course grab CE as soon as you hit 10 points.

Beyond that, I'd go with (in order) DE, SE, AR, and PT.  DE gives you an insane 10% fire chance on your HE rounds, which can be pumped up to 11% with signals--given that you're firing 7 guns with your broadside, that's going to average out to a fire on every other salvo.  Even though you're only a T7, SE is still good given that you will suffer a lot of damage in your anti-DD role.  AR merely builds off of that same principle, while PT is the only thing worth spending your last point on.  Depending on your own play style, though, there are a lot of other skills worth considering (EM, AFT, SI, Vig, and even TAE).

There are other T7 DDs that can beat you in specific conditions, but all around I still hold that Blys is the best destroyer at the tier.  She doesn't do all that well in radar-heavy games, but the beauty of being tier VII is that you won't often end up in those.

• Cool 1

Members
45 posts
8,745 battles

got this during the holiday sales, so never played it during the stealth fire days.  I really enjoy playing it and its treated me very well.  Great guns, real fun to annoy the other teams BBs if you get on their flank.  Being a gun boat I don't worry about radar or CV's as I'm typically spotted the majority of time anyway from shooting everything in sight.  Torps are ok, only 6, but come in handy every now and again.

Highly recommend this boat

[4HIM]
Members
2,908 posts
11,219 battles
26 minutes ago, Crucis said:

And the Blys has, IMO, one strike against it that can't be overcome right now.  There's no Polish tech tree nor a Pan-European tree for it to be used in as a trainer.  So, it takes forever to train up a good captain, and until there's some tech tree for it to support, it's just a standalone ship.

^This.  I guess if you have a few 19 point captains and can stock up on EXP to buff the captain, it would be a great bote.  I don't and right now I'm having to work with just a 6 point captain.  The captain grind on this will take me FOREVER.  Fun ship to play.  I just don't play it a lot given the low skill of the captain, and I have plenty other premiums to play.  It's a good gunboat though.  

• Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Members
1,903 posts
17,891 battles

Bly is OK, have had her for a long time.  Guns still good, torps meh, handling good.  It is a strong tier 7 DD, but if you do not have it would suggest the Leningrad.  Faster, more torps, like a Knab at tier 7.  Captain training much better with the Leningrad, since you can use and train Russian captains. Bly is standalone, takes forever to get the captain up, have had for over a year and only 17 point Commander. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,415 posts
17,974 battles
1 hour ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

It is still a great DD. I do ok to real good in it. With the right skills in for the captain her range is just over 14km and the guns are very potent even at range. I play it like a fast firing cruiser that is a lot harder to hit.

I don't drive my Blys very often but when I do I play her like a CL with lower detectability and no citadel. Blys's poor maneuverability and slow RoF for a DD makes her not well suited for cap contesting. I generally gun and run when I'm driving her, like I do when driving CLs.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
12 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I don't drive my Blys very often but when I do I play her like a CL with lower detectability and no citadel. Blys's poor maneuverability and slow RoF for a DD makes her not well suited for cap contesting. I generally gun and run when I'm driving her, like I do when driving CLs.

Actually, ReddNekk, the Blys can be great for helping another DD contest a cap.  Her guns hit hard.  And she's nice if you can keep the range open a little vs USN DDs so that their accuracy drops a little, while yours is still solid.  But yes, she's not really a great 1v1 cap contester.  RoF is generally too slow, and she doesn't like fighting in such close quarters.

Members
4,415 posts
17,974 battles
45 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Actually, ReddNekk, the Blys can be great for helping another DD contest a cap.  Her guns hit hard.  And she's nice if you can keep the range open a little vs USN DDs so that their accuracy drops a little, while yours is still solid.  But yes, she's not really a great 1v1 cap contester.  RoF is generally too slow, and she doesn't like fighting in such close quarters.

I just won a cap gun fight with a Mahan but got lucky with a devastating strike on him. Is IFHE worth investing with Blys?

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
3 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I just won a cap gun fight with a Mahan but got lucky with a devastating strike on him. Is IFHE worth investing with Blys?

Don't know.  My Blys captain is only 14 points, and I haven't played it in a while.  

[TNG]
Beta Testers
497 posts
10,108 battles

Its ok.   It used to be great and very comfortable, now not so much.

GM is a better DD.

I don't enjoy playing it as much as I used to in the past, its a mehbote now.

[STW]
Members
831 posts
7,007 battles

I don't have experience before OWSF went away, but I enjoy it in its current iteration, I just play it like a Russian DD.  It starts fires well and I'm more comfortable with the gun arcs on it than the Leningrad.  It's thick though, so sometimes you can eat some nasty AP volleys.

Edited by Deviathan

Members
660 posts
26,728 battles
14 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

I was with IFHE on mine. It makes it even better. I can post my build later tonight but the BLysh overall is just a great DD to have in port. I have a 19 point captain along with all the bells and whistles and for tier 7 I just don't think there is an overall better dd.