You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SkywhaleExpress

So... John Doe.... best name ever?

20 comments in this topic

[STW-D]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,196 posts
15,518 battles

LOL just throwing another topic up..  but this time... only asking how they came to choose such an epic name?

Was there a board meeting to discuss possible renames?  an internal corporate contest? 

Can we have a background story of John Doe? Can we have a special voiceover for it? If not, can the captain be given a custom editable name?

LoL, I just had to... so many people whining that we’re losing a lousily acted voiceover and face in a pixel game, haha.

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,724 posts
5 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

stupid and lazy IMO

Well it's not like Seagal gave them a lot of time.
I've heard rumour that it may be changed in the future so quit your complaining and just be thankful that we don't have Seagal anymore.  (If you really don't know why, check the news)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,759 posts
12,356 battles

WG should ultimately have a contest on the NA server to replace his voiceover, with the dumbest, funniest or coolest voiceover winning.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Very few will miss that voice. :Smile_teethhappy:

I agree, a name would be nice, but I'm willing to bet it's just a place holder right now.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,359 posts
13,879 battles

At a guess the decision to pull him happened very recently and with no warning to the devs. Several really good replacement suggestions have been posted in the last few days and I hope they consider them.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

John Doe is a most remarkable, if convoluted, person. Some records seem to suggest he's been around since the 14th century, presiding in several high profile legal cases from the time. In fact, he seems to show up most often in court records, suggesting a somewhat tenuous moral grounding—Though it's key to note that in many of the cases, John Doe is in fact the victim of crime! 

Unfortunately, photographs and documentation of Mr. Doe do not exist, for the most part, and those that do suggest conflicting information about the man. One thing is for sure though, John Doe is likely the most interesting man on the planet, with everything he's gotten himself into.

As a captain, I have no qualms using him in my ship as a nod to his many, many exploits.  

• Funny 2

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,990 battles
28 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

WG should ultimately have a contest on the NA server to replace his voiceover, with the dumbest, funniest or coolest voiceover winning.

The voice over should be Yosemite Sam if nothing else for the sole reason that he would have the best voice over for the swearing hot key with classics like:

"Ya doggone idgit galoot … you’ll blow the ship to smithereenies!"
"Blast his scuppers … I’ll slice his liver out for this!"
"Yassin sassin snazzum frazzum!"
"Rassa frassin friggin fragging!"

• Funny 1

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
1 hour ago, Sotaudi said:

The voice over should be Yosemite Sam if nothing else for the sole reason that he would have the best voice over for the swearing hot key with classics like:

Isn't that how all BB mains talk? :Smile_trollface:

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles
14 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Now that... that would be amazing

[TDD]
Members
1,157 posts
9,319 battles
16 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Well it's not like Seagal gave them a lot of time.
I've heard rumour that it may be changed in the future so quit your complaining and just be thankful that we don't have Seagal anymore.  (If you really don't know why, check the news)

My comment didn't complain about removing Seagal, in fact I didn't say anything about Seagal at all.  My comment was in regard to the original post about the name they chose as a replacement name, John Doe is Lazy, Immature and quite frankly stupid. Anyone here on this forum could have come up with a better name (many have) in 5 minutes or less.

So why don't you try to be a little less insulting in the future.

Edited by nina_blain_73
  • Meh 1

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,724 posts
18 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

John Doe is Lazy, Immature and quite frankly stupid.

So... a name that has been in use since the middle-ages for people with an unknown identity as part of a legal action or investigation is "immature"?

So why don't you try to be a little less insulting in the future.

If you're an example of what you think people here should be like, I'll take that as a compliment.
There are several people in this thread, such as River, who have given excellent explanations of why this is actually very clever and I've already alluded to rumour that WG may be replacing the name in the future... yet you attack me? I'm just voicing MY opinion, if you don't like that then you shouldn't voice yours to begin with. This is a public forum, you should expect other people to be here from time to time

• Meh 1

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles
23 hours ago, Sotaudi said:

I love this idea :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,990 battles
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, RivertheRoyal said:

John Doe is a most remarkable, if convoluted, person. Some records seem to suggest he's been around since the 14th century, presiding in several high profile legal cases from the time. In fact, he seems to show up most often in court records, suggesting a somewhat tenuous moral grounding—Though it's key to note that in many of the cases, John Doe is in fact the victim of crime! 

Unfortunately, photographs and documentation of Mr. Doe do not exist, for the most part, and those that do suggest conflicting information about the man. One thing is for sure though, John Doe is likely the most interesting man on the planet, with everything he's gotten himself into.

As a captain, I have no qualms using him in my ship as a nod to his many, many exploits.  

I believe that John Doe is proof that zombies actually exist.  I mean, think about it.  One week, he is on the autopsy table as part of an investigation.  Then he is part of some lawsuit.  Then some warrant is issued in his name.  Then he is back on the autopsy table.   The cycle is never ending.  Clearly, the man is a zombie!

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,657 posts
4,602 battles

IIRC, this question was answered in the latest Dev Q&A.  Sub_Oct says that the Russian devs just find the name hilarious.  And who can fathom the Russian sense of humor?

Personally, it makes me remember Gary Cooper, who would undoubtedly make an outstanding captain.