You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Verios44

How do I Survive in the Omaha?

42 comments in this topic

Members
100 posts
352 battles

I am still relatively new, but compared to a few of the other ships I have played, even the Phoenix, the Omaha feels like a BB round magnet. Every random game I have played has ended up in BB's focusing me even if I have positioned myself around the back side of an island or behind friendly BB's. I do enjoy the ship,  good guns, usable torps, good speed, just the thing feels like its ready to fall apart at a moments notice.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,925 posts
1,857 battles

HIDE WELL, AND DODGE LIKE A MADMAN.

Oooh, sorry about the caps.  I use caps lock a lot at work.  Anyhoo, In the immortal words of Jim Butcher (speaking in a Mr. Myagi-like accent) "Best way to not take damage, no getta hit."

Edited by kerensky914

[OO7]
Members
1,419 posts
8,628 battles

You're going to get focused. People basically see you as free damage, so they'll eagerly slam rounds into the island you're hiding behind just in case they might could hit you. It's an art. You have to play in such a way that makes players think that damage is easier to get by shooting other players. The hard part is doing that while not hiding in the back. It's doable, but I for instance, couldn't really do it until I had thousands of battles in dd's, bb's, and CV's first.

Cruisers are damage monsters. But they take a lot of experience and craftyness to play.

[--K--]
Members
5,332 posts
16,759 battles

Try to avoid open water fights with ships who have guns bigger than yours. 

Use islands for cover and concealment. 

Don't be the first ship spotted and travel with friends as it gives the enemy other things to shoot at. 

Take the Priority Target skill so you know how many people are targeting you and how aggressive your WASD hax needs to be. 

If you find yourself in open water with ship firing at you keep dodging, kitting, weaving and running toward cover. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,925 posts
1,857 battles
Just now, Octavian_of_Roma said:

... or kite and dodge like a madman. 

Kiting in particular is a critical skill for all cruiser captains.  Hitting a speedy target that's running from you at an angle and constantly shifting direction and speed is difficult enough that some players will leave you alone rather than attempt it.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,143 posts
9,801 battles

Welcome to the T5 snot ball. Learning curve goes up dramatically by this tier, WG put protected MM on T3-4 ships so they never see higher tiers, so around 70-85% of the time T5 ships get uptiered.

First off, you're in a cruiser. Thin armor, BBs like to try for you because their big guns can pen you at any angle. So this means you have to think ahead. Where are the red BBs going? You might consider going for the cap they're not able to bombard. You've already figured out how to use islands--US cruiser MB have very floaty shells, so certain islands you can shoot over.

Secondly, Omaha is a cruiser of opportunity. MB flight time, agility, and torps mean she's better suited to close-range combat against red cruisers and DDs. Generally BBs aren't your desired prey, but if get within torp range, you can make them pay.

Lastly, be a dodger. The Priority Target skill tells how many ships are aiming at you, and Omaha's agile. Use that to be hard to hit. It takes practice, and good BB players might notice your dodge pattern and so fire where you'll turn, but in general, be harder to hit for 2-4 volleys, most BB players give up on you for the moment.

[O-PN]
Members
9,125 posts
10,593 battles

Honestly, you don't. Omaha is so squishy that she is instantly Public Enemy Number 1 in any round, unless, of course, I'm in the round.

Members
100 posts
352 battles
10 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Welcome to the T5 snot ball. Learning curve goes up dramatically by this tier, WG put protected MM on T3-4 ships so they never see higher tiers, so around 70-85% of the time T5 ships get uptiered.

First off, you're in a cruiser. Thin armor, BBs like to try for you because their big guns can pen you at any angle. So this means you have to think ahead. Where are the red BBs going? You might consider going for the cap they're not able to bombard. You've already figured out how to use islands--US cruiser MB have very floaty shells, so certain islands you can shoot over.

Secondly, Omaha is a cruiser of opportunity. MB flight time, agility, and torps mean she's better suited to close-range combat against red cruisers and DDs. Generally BBs aren't your desired prey, but if get within torp range, you can make them pay.

Lastly, be a dodger. The Priority Target skill tells how many ships are aiming at you, and Omaha's agile. Use that to be hard to hit. It takes practice, and good BB players might notice your dodge pattern and so fire where you'll turn, but in general, be harder to hit for 2-4 volleys, most BB players give up on you for the moment.

Thanks for the tips, yea lots of nuance to learn, but getting there slowly :)

[STW-D]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,194 posts
15,466 battles

You want to remain relatively max range to BB’s, and angled as best you can vs other cruisers.

Unforunatey, you’re easily CRiTaDEL’d at almost any angle by 14 inch and bigger guns. 12 inchers might bounce at 15-30 degrees, but don’t count on that. 

Burn BB’s, cycle targets often, keep moving... Only AP other cruisers, but also might as well out fires on them too.

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles
7 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

I am still relatively new, but compared to a few of the other ships I have played, even the Phoenix, the Omaha feels like a BB round magnet. Every random game I have played has ended up in BB's focusing me even if I have positioned myself around the back side of an island or behind friendly BB's. I do enjoy the ship,  good guns, usable torps, good speed, just the thing feels like its ready to fall apart at a moments notice.

sell your Omaha -- buy a Kirov. 

but seriously Omaha is squishy and pretty much sinks when a BB looks cross-eyed at it.  But its also reasonably fast and fairly agile.  You have to rely on those dodge ball skills you learned back when you were a wee lad -- its all in keeping with ye' ole' adage "All I really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten".  It also doesn't hurt to keep your rosary beads handy.  Liberal use of the anti-detonation flag is also encouraged. 

Just keep in mind that once the joy of your Omaha grind is complete, you get to drive the Cleveland.  The Cleveland is way more forgiving than the Omaha.  

Members
100 posts
352 battles
7 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

but seriously Omaha is squishy and pretty much sinks when a BB looks cross-eyed at it.  But its also reasonably fast and fairly agile.  You have to rely on those dodge ball skills you learned back when you were a wee lad -- its all in keeping with ye' ole' adage "All I really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten".  It also doesn't hurt to keep your rosary beads handy.  Liberal use of the anti-detonation flag is also encouraged. 

Just keep in mind that once the joy of your Omaha grind is complete, you get to drive the Cleveland.  The Cleveland is way more forgiving than the Omaha.  

I do hear the Cleveland is a much more usable Cruiser. I also chose that path because of the US cruiser split. Might as well take advantage while I can.

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,310 battles
37 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

It's similar to driving the Phoenix except that you'll be fighting up to Tier VII ships which are a lot deadlier than the max T5 the Phoenix will face.  You've best defense is to be elsewhere when the enemy shells arrive.  Try not to get too close to the red ships so you can remain an elusive target at medium to long ranges and don't let your guard down, if you like to drive in straight lines, just assume you're already dead but haven't figured it out yet.  

On the plus side, the Omaha has fairly impressive all around firepower so no matter which way you are facing, you'll have a nice grouping of guns to shoot at the red ships and they track pretty quickly so as you are playing dodge the shells, you can also be sending a fair amount of shells back at the red ships that are shooting at you.  

10 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Yes, but then you get the Pensacola at Tier VII which is, if anything, even more squishy than the Omaha.   However the skills learned driving the Phoenix and Omaha can help you with her so just consider your time in Omaha to be good training for the Pensacola. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

Members
100 posts
352 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

"How do I survive in the Omaha?"

You skip her.

The days of Omaha being a great ship went away with 2015.

I was in my prime Russian Number Generator playing days back then :)

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles
4 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Yes, but then you get the Pensacola at Tier VII which is, if anything, even more squishy than the Omaha.   However the skills learned driving the Phoenix and Omaha can help you with her so just consider your time in Omaha to be good training for the Pensacola. 

heh -- there is that.  But I was trying to encourage not scare.  Yes if you can master the dodge-ball Feng Shui that is the Phoenix and Omaha it will serve you well in the long run.  USN cruisers are fun -- until you have that momentary attention span lapse and zig instead of zag.  Keep one eye on the mini-map -- one eye on your priority target indicator -- and your third eye on your gunsights.    

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,594 posts
13,455 battles
15 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The days of Omaha being a great ship went away with 2015.

So sad, it was such a fun ship before :Smile_sad:

Members
910 posts
11,233 battles
50 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Kiting in particular is a critical skill for all cruiser captains.  Hitting a speedy target that's running from you at an angle and constantly shifting direction and speed is difficult enough that some players will leave you alone rather than attempt it.

That would do you a lick of good because just about every cruiser shell will pass through you.  TheKrimsonDemon is right, your just to squishy and WILL be made public enemy number 1.

OP, I'd just treat it like an Atlanta and shoot behind islands.  Only come out if there's 1 maaaaybe 2 ships that can target you.

Edited by Airglide2

[NDA]
Supertester
3,925 posts
1,857 battles
40 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Yes, because Kirov is soooo much tougher than Omaha.  I mean, it is, but there are DDs in the game with more armor than both of them combined.

8 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

That would do you a lick of good because just about every cruiser shell will pass through you.

As I said.  No getta hit.  Kiting in a cruiser isn't about trying to bounce shells, it's about making the other guy miss you entirely.   Granted, tall order in a game where it is *way* too easy to hit targets.  But dodging is a good skill to learn, because there's gonna be times where it is all that stands between you and making it to cover when you screw the proverbial pooch.

Members
433 posts
1 hour ago, Verios44 said:

well it should be said that any ship with 200mm guns can penetrate omaha's citadel at any angle. Straight through the bow, as well. 

So any cruiser/battleship with those guns is going to instacitadel or nearly delete you in omaha, as well, if you show broadside, most destroyers can rip you a new one too.

There are very few places to hide in omaha these days, strongly recommend freexp past it, or start a new line, you'll save yourself a lot of pain till you can get better at the game.

omaha=expertmode, you're going to see very few matches where you're top tier. and tbh, being top tier in omaha means absolutely nothing, as most ships tier IV can casually match her.

I had an incredibly difficult time with her a year or so ago now, and i can't imagine what that's like now with even more gun heavy predators hanging around tier v - vii now.

you will have alot more fun in cleveland or higher, or possibly the next ship to replace cleveland in tier 6. good luck man, if you decide to stick with omaha, remember to take breaks often, that ship is enough to cause most ppl to ragequit warships forever nowadays.

Edited by SinisterSe7en

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

Don't be the first ship spotted and travel with friends as it gives the enemy other things to shoot at.

That always reminds me of that joke with bear and running shoes.  Two guys are going hiking, and upon learning there is a bear in the area one of them starts putting running shoes on.  The other guy says - you gotta be kidding me, you will never outrun a bear in those.  The first guy says - I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you.

Members
100 posts
352 battles
2 minutes ago, SinisterSe7en said:

well it should disturb you to know that any ship with 200mm guns can penetrate omaha's citadel at any angle. Straight through the bow, as well. 

So any cruiser/battleship with those guns is going to instacitadel or nearly delete you in omaha, as well, if you show broadside, most destroyers can rip you a new one too.

There are very few places to hide in omaha these days, strongly recommend freexp past it, or start a new line, you'll save yourself a lot of pain till you can get better at the game.

omaha=expertmode, you're going to see very few matches where you're top tier. and tbh, being top tier in omaha means absolutely nothing, as most ships tier IV can casually match her.

I had an incredibly difficult time with her a year or so ago now, and i can't imagine what that's like now with even more gun heavy predators hanging around tier v - vii now.

you will have alot more fun in cleveland or higher, or possibly the next ship to replace cleveland in tier 6. good luck man, if you decide to stick with omaha, remember to take breaks often, that ship is enough to cause most ppl to ragequit warships forever nowadays.

And that's the sad part. On the flip side, I love the Omaha's weapons. decent HE fire chance plus a bunch of shells with decent accuracy = a fire making machine, at least in my esperience. Plus the torp arcs are very good. Currently at about 15k xp on it, so halfway there.

Members
433 posts
1 minute ago, Verios44 said:

And that's the sad part. On the flip side, I love the Omaha's weapons. decent HE fire chance plus a bunch of shells with decent accuracy = a fire making machine, at least in my esperience. Plus the torp arcs are very good. Currently at about 15k xp on it, so halfway there.

i agree, it has fun fire arcs but without islands to block incoming rounds, its a really rough ride. also i didn't really do the proper overmatch math there, but have found that 200mm rounds easily go through that 'armor' rip.

thats good man, be suuuuuper defensive, don't even show a sliver of your ship if you can. i wouldn't wish that ship on anyone my god. lol.

[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles
36 minutes ago, pikohan said:

So sad, it was such a fun ship before :Smile_sad:

Hey, I play my Marblehead (a premium version of the Omaha, for the OP) a lot these days in Random battles and I manage to do quite well in her.  It's still a fun ship, IMO.

1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

Try to avoid open water fights with ships who have guns bigger than yours. 

Use islands for cover and concealment. 

Take the Priority Target skill so you know how many people are targeting you and how aggressive your WASD hax needs to be. 

If you find yourself in open water with ship firing at you keep dodging, kitting, weaving and running toward cover. 

This is good advice, @Verios44  

Let me expand on this.  But first, my credentials.  I play my Marblehead (a premium version of the Omaha) a lot and do well in her, despite people  claiming that the game has passed her by.

When you're bottom tier, definitely try to use as much cover as you can find, and shoot over whatever islands possible.  Definitely don't be the first ship spotted, and don't travel alone.  Also, if you're bottom tier, be SUPER careful about engaging higher tier BBs.  They can eat you alive!  OTOH, if you get lucky and are top tier, most tier 4 and 5 BBs aren't so accurate, and you can engage in kiting duels with most of them.  (Avoid dueling against the T5 Giulio Cesare.  It's too accurate for your taste and can eat you up as if it was a higher tier BB.)

Use HE most of the time against BBs and aim for superstructures for best effect.  But if you find yourself engaging enemy cruisers, regardless of tier, and you have their  broadside, absolutely use AP.  The Omaha's AP rounds are quite solid and will do very good damage, if you know how to aim well.

And like Bear said, if you are in an open water kiting duel, dodge, dodge, DODGE!!!  

The great thing about the Omaha, if you can get good in her, it will teach you how to play all cruisers better, because perhaps its best survival tactic is dodging.  It's maneuverable enough to be a good dodger, and if you get good at dodging, you can be one nasty cruiser for people to deal with because the Omaha actually does have very respectable guns.  And because most of them are not in turrets, when you're dodging, you can flip from showing your port to showing your starboard and hardly miss a beat with your guns.

• Cool 1