Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wildcat18

Replays

19 comments in this topic

Members
360 posts

How do you enable replays? Can you replay both random and co-op? I am still logged in and want my last battle replay or is it to late to get it?

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,860 posts
4,861 battles

Two years later and replays still have to be activated by editing XML?

Can't you just implement it fully already WG? You did so with training room after so long, but not this? :Smile_facepalm:

Members
360 posts
1 minute ago, pyantoryng said:

Can't you just implement it fully already WG? You did so with training room after so long, but not this? :Smile_facepalm:

I am messaging the players in that battle to see if they have the replay, I want that replay lol

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
33 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

As long as they don't do the same thing with the Training Room making it worthless

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,635 posts
7,003 battles
56 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

Actually, if you look at that page, WG included a utility to enable replays easily. Editing the XML file is a backup method if that fails.

And, considering that enabling replays causes the game to consume more and more disc space as each game is played, if a player doesn't feel comfortable working with their game folder, it's probably best to keep the feature disabled by default.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
32 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

And, considering that enabling replays causes the game to consume more and more disc space as each game is played, if a player doesn't feel comfortable working with their game folder, it's probably best to keep the feature disabled by default.

Yes, but is it that difficult to put a little "Enable Replays" checkbox in the settings?  Particularly given that editing the XML file is just checking that (non-existent) box anyway?

1 hour ago, wildcat18 said:

I am messaging the players in that battle to see if they have the replay, I want that replay lol

Hopefully somebody did, just keep in mind that you'd only see the battle from their perspective.  Most likely the best you'll be able to do is screen cap the results screens & enable replays for the next time you have a great game.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,635 posts
7,003 battles
13 hours ago, Harv72b said:

Yes, but is it that difficult to put a little "Enable Replays" checkbox in the settings?  Particularly given that editing the XML file is just checking that (non-existent) box anyway?

Probably more difficult than giving players an easy to use utility, given that the UI has to be changed to make it work. Even if they did, you would still need to close the game and log back in for the option to take effect. So, it is actually easier just to use the utility program before you even launch the game to do it.

And, let's face it...if running a file, typing '1', and then playing the game is too hard, then a check box won't help much.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,860 posts
4,861 battles
1 hour ago, Jakob_Knight said:

Probably more difficult than giving players an easy to use utility, given that the UI has to be changed to make it work. Even if they did, you would still need to close the game and log back in for the option to take effect. So, it is actually easier just to use the utility program before you even launch the game to do it.

And, let's face it...if running a file, typing '1', and then playing the game is too hard, then a check box won't help much.

Why should the activation of a (somewhat) important function of the game be external to the game, ease of use or not?

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,635 posts
7,003 battles
1 hour ago, pyantoryng said:

Why should the activation of a (somewhat) important function of the game be external to the game, ease of use or not?

Because this particular function changes how the game accesses and generates files, which involves the file structure of the program? Trying to change the file structure of a program while it is running is just asking for corruption of the program, or at least a program crash as the command lines are changed mid-process.

Ultimately, it's probably something that can't be done safely while the game is running, though I may be wrong. Either way, the utility is a very easy way to do the same job, so there should be no issue here I can see.

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles
17 hours ago, Jakob_Knight said:

Actually, if you look at that page, WG included a utility to enable replays easily. Editing the XML file is a backup method if that fails.

Recently enabled replays using this utility and it was super easy. I was pleasantly surprised to find the replays are only a few mb each.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,635 posts
7,003 battles
6 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

Recently enabled replays using this utility and it was super easy. I was pleasantly surprised to find the replays are only a few mb each.

Yup. Now, imagine you are talking about players who don't know this is enabled, and they play 1000 games. They may be wondering where that gigabite of HDD space went. 4000 games? 10,000 games?

Better to keep it off by default and let players who are comfortable knowing what they can and can't delete in their game folders enable it if they want it. As you said, it's super easy to do so, and keeps those players who are less than savvy at the computers they use not have to worry about suddenly running out of HDD space one day.

[SYN]
Members
5,769 posts
13,144 battles
18 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

As long as they don't do the same thing with the Training Room making it worthless

Right?

At this stage I'm hoping that replays never get "officially" implemented, lol.

Members
311 posts
39 battles
18 hours ago, pyantoryng said:

It's embarrassing how bad replays STILL are in warships.

[YORHA]
Members
4,796 posts
9,431 battles
9 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Right?

At this stage I'm hoping that replays never get "officially" implemented, lol.

I WG does put it in game the replay will probably only show your ship.

After what they did to training rooms I say leave it as is.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
7 hours ago, Jakob_Knight said:

Except when that utility doesn't work, as it didn't in my case.  Which is probably not a rare occurrence as everywhere I see the utility offered for download, I also see the "alternate" instructions on how to enable replays by editing the XML file.  Which also isn't difficult to do--just tedious when it has to be re-done for every game update, and unnecessary given how insanely simple it would be for WG to just include that option to begin with.

At one point in the past I had the actual checkbox in the game, I think via one of the mods in Aslain's pack.  I'm not currently running any mods at all so it's gone, but if a third party modder could implement this in-game then I don't see why WG can't.  As for forcing a software restart, all you are doing when you manually edit the XML file is adding a new command line (which is supported by the game, but not included in the preferences file because reasons) and setting its status to "true".  Simply including the "IsReplayEnabled" line in the file to begin with, defaulted to "false", should allow for on-the-fly updating of this option within the software; it would obviously not record battles you had already played, but it should begin working immediately for future matches.  Even if that weren't true for some reason, it's not exactly impossible to include "(requires software restart)" next to or below the checkbox.

Sign in to follow this