You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
XXRed_DawnXX

If there is one historical warship you want to save, what would it be?

128 comments in this topic

[ERN]
[ERN]
Members
660 posts
10,786 battles

There are many warships in history we wished haven't been scrapped after surviving war. If you can go back in time and save a surviving warship (and ONLY one warship) and make it a museum ship, what ship would it be? 

(Bonus Question) If you can again, go back in time and save a famous ocean liner (that hasn't sank) from being scrapped, and make it into a museum/hotel ship, what liner would it be?

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,177 posts
4,982 battles

Warship: Tirpitz...cause reasons. 

Liner: Titanic....because F-U James Cameron.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ERN]
[ERN]
Members
660 posts
10,786 battles

For me, it is the HMS Warspite.

And for a famous liner, it is between the RMS Olympic(1911), and the SS France(1961).

Edited by XXRed_DawnXX

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

Any answer other than Warspite is wrong.

And Olympic over Titanic, much more interesting story.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 2

[ERN]
[ERN]
Members
660 posts
10,786 battles
9 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

Yeah, I'd go with Tirpitz or Bismarck.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Warship: Tirpitz...cause reasons. 

Liner: Titanic....because F-U James Cameron.

Again, a ship that survived a war, NOT one that sank.

Edited by XXRed_DawnXX

[ERN]
[ERN]
Members
660 posts
10,786 battles
6 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

And Olympic over Titanic, much more interesting story.

If you correctly read the question, it refers to a ship that didn't sink. Olympic, unlike the tragic fate her sisters Titanic, and Britanic, was scrapped after a long career with the White Star Line.

Edited by XXRed_DawnXX

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

Uh... probably something like Warspite or Renown, considering that the British were absolutely ruthless in their disposal of potential museum ships.

Next up would be one of the Japanese survivors - Tone, Hyuga, Nagato... something along those lines.

An Italian like Littorio would be cool, too.

Oh, dark horse candidate: former Goeben. It's an absolute disgrace that she made it to the 1970s and was offered to the west German government and denied. 

Edited by Cruiser_Fiume

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
1 minute ago, XXRed_DawnXX said:

If you correctly read the question, it refers to a ship that didn't sink. Olympic, unlike the tragic fate her sisters Titanic, and Britanic, was scrapped after a long career with the White Star Line.

And you need to read my response: I said Olympic over the the Titanic, as it has a much more interesting story, which it does, because it doesn't just stop 6 months after launching.

Just now, zFireWyvern said:

Warspite. No competition.

Best BB ever made, and one of the only ones to consistently be used as such (and the only one to be used as such in two wars). And from a Class of one of the only Warships, of any type, built without compromise. Basically nothing was sacrificed for any reason that didnt have an even greater quantifiable advantage.

• Cool 1

Members
913 posts
11,233 battles

Hands freaking down, Saratoga!

To just view that/those spectacular smoke stacks and 203mm guns would be to die for.  That and the methods to actually get up the ship (because it's so freaking tall) would be funny to see.

• Cool 1

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
6 minutes ago, XXRed_DawnXX said:

Again, a ship that survived a war, NOT one that sank.

Well, technically Giulio Cesare did survive WWII, it was sunk after the war.  It'd be nice if that one was saved.

Other than that, of all the ships that survived the ones that deserved saving most were pretty much all saved.

[REVY]
Members
2,057 posts
11,402 battles

CV-6  USS Enterprise

As for a liner, could be either, the RMS Olympic, RMS Mauretania. These liners and their sisters set a new standard for size, luxury and speed on the North Atlantic. Now I'm not saying that they had all three mind you, but Mauretania and her sister were the reason the Olympic class were built to compete against.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
14 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Any answer other than Warspite is wrong.

CV-6 Enterprise.

Try to tell me that's not at least equal to Warspite in importance.

• Cool 2

[ERN]
[ERN]
Members
660 posts
10,786 battles
18 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

And you need to read my response: I said Olympic over the the Titanic, as it has a much more interesting story, which it does, because it doesn't just stop 6 months after launching.

(Warspite) Best BB ever made, and one of the only ones to consistently be used as such (and the only one to be used as such in two wars). And from a Class of one of the only Warships, of any type, built without compromise. Basically nothing was sacrificed for any reason that didnt have an even greater quantifiable advantage.

I agree, however both the Olympic and the France are beautiful liners that were both icons of luxury, innovation, and style of their eras with long and relatively successful careers, yet they both tragically were not saved.

Otherwise, thank you for helping me decide on a warship, Warspite it is.

Edited by XXRed_DawnXX

[-SYN-]
Members
218 posts
4,513 battles

Enterprise, CV-6 

One of the only American CVs to survive the entire war from start to end, though not without her share of nocks. You can't shake a stick at USN campaigns in the Pacific without hitting her. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,844 posts
42,321 battles

I'm from California.

So there is only one answer.

Refitted USS California.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,038 posts
7,970 battles

Prinz Eugen, for three reasons:

1. National bias (Hey, at least I‘m honest)

2. The losing side has worse chances of preserving ships as a museum. That‘s just how it is. So maybe preserving a ship that is different from those ships that would most likely get turned into museums would be a good chance to save the style, design and technology of the other side, and add some variety into the mix of Museum ships.

3. Damn that bote is good looking...

fladsIw.jpg

Edited by SireneRacker
  • Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,358 posts
13,879 battles

For a warship that was scraped I would go with the Dreadnought because it turned battleship design on its ear. For a liner while not well known to the general public I would go with the RMS/HMS Carmania for the Battle of Trindade.

https://www.historychannel.com.au/h100/the-battle-of-trindade/