Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
theLaalaa

Vaporizing a Fiction with Facts

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,400 posts
23,023 battles

It started out as a regular Thursday morning steam of Tier 1 Random competitive game-play. It ended up being almost 2 1/2 hours of matches with opponent analysis after each match, showing time after time after time after time after time that the mantra that only "baby seals" (read: learning about the left mouse button and unaware of the use of WASD keys) sail the waters of Tier 1 and anyone with experience is "taking advantage" of them IS DEAD WRONG. Those who repeat that mantra have practically NO experience in Tier 1, nor have they any evidence for their stance. I have both in abundance. Don't watch the vid if you want to believe the lie, but if you'd like to see who's ACTUALLY sailing, and look deeply into the stats they have, then buckle up and prepared to be informed and, I hope, changed by the facts laid out in real time in this vid.

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,155 posts
6,607 battles

So what you're trying to say, is we should respect you for putting almost 5k battles in Black Swan because it's not actually that easy?

I've never seen anyone claim that tier 1 is populated by only new players. But the actual statement is that it should be that way.

Edit: I do understand the alluring stark simplicity of tier 1, it's almost a game on it's own. Particularly in the swan. But the lessons it can teach are limited.

Edited by X15

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,660 posts
4,602 battles

Hey, I enjoy the occasional Tier 1 battle, too.  To each his own.

Alpha Tester
1,243 posts
4,969 battles

I hate to say it, but playing lower tiers is a guilty pleasure. Not because it's easier, but because the action is more fluid. I prefer the dynamic, close-in engagements over the static play at higher tiers where each team parks behind an island and dares each other to come out first. That being said however I usually don't go below tier IV unless I feel the desire to take out a rarely used premium or I'm helping a friend or new player learn the game or speed through the lower tiers. I'm not sure about Tier I and II as ships at those tiers don't really have a distinct flavor, but I can attest to meeting a good portion of veterans at III and IV. Sometimes you just need that St. Louis fix, and I don't really blame them.

Members
1,367 posts
16,667 battles

I keep several T1-3 ships in my fleet. Most of the time they only get played to work off a pink status...which means not very often... but they are all honored members of my fleet.

Members
3,679 posts
7,997 battles

The true sub 150 games seals are in their own little protective matchmaking. I thought people knew this for a fact by now...

Most seals are stuck somewhere in tier 4-5-6-7.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,596 posts
13,501 battles

T1 is hard, what can I say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RZuds9I.png

Members
1,400 posts
23,023 battles

Seems like someone who is someone in the player community agrees...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

Remember that truly new players play a protected tier 1. Those that you see there have at least progressed through tier V. Most players will go back to tier only to start a new ship line. Many will just use free XP to jump to tier III or IV and skip the lower tiers completely. Therefore, the tier 1s you see are probably half experienced players. You can look them up to see if this is so. If fact, let me play a tier 1 and get back to you on this cause I'm now curious.

Members
1,400 posts
23,023 battles
20 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Therefore, the tier 1s you see are probably half experienced players. You can look them up to see if this is so. If fact, let me play a tier 1 and get back to you on this cause I'm now curious.

The initial video is me analyzing (looking up and making observations) a stream of games, hence the purpose of this thread.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

OK. I just played a tier 1 and half the players had between 1704 and 3629 battles in the tier 1 ship they were playing (that's a lot of tier 1 play). Most of the others, like me, had thousands of battles in general. There were only four that had less than 250 battles overall.

Sign in to follow this