You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Acaibaero

Auditory feedback for speed

4 comments in this topic

[-WTP-]
Members
69 posts
7,417 battles

What do you guys think about auditory feedback as an option for speed/direction and speed?  Many times I'm toying with my throttle and get involved in a fight and forget that I'm either moving fwd or in reverse.  Or I've put it in to full speed because "brown alert!" but don't intend to keep that speed.

So for example: 

Select a speed it would say:     When that speed is reached:

"All ahead full"                          "All ahead full, sir"

"Full reverse"                            "Helm answers full reverse"

"1/4 Speed".                              "Helm answers 1/4". 

I don't think it should be instantaneous for the speed selection, that'd be annoying.  But if you select a speed, say after 2s, it would respond with the bells and speed you selected.  If the ship passes through a speed on it's way to the selected speed, it should say nothing or maybe a good reminder...? 

And to cut those of you off who will respond with sarcasm, just leave now.  Don't need the gitgud comments.  Just curious of whether you like the idea or not.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,080 posts
17,997 battles

I change speeds way too often for this to work for me. A subtler cue might work, though, like an audible difference in engine pitch.

• Cool 1

Members
1,027 posts
6,070 battles

For me if they just made the sound  of the lever a bit louder or more distinct from forward and reverse, I don't want more voices talking at me personally..