You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wyngs_2015

DD Question

17 comments in this topic

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles

Hey everyone. Im sort of slowly coming back after being away for a long time. I play DD's as much as other ship classes combined, always have, but I am very rusty. So, with that in mind, I have decided to start up another DD line, in part for a new experience and in part to hopefully regain the skills that I used to have. Feels almost like being a new player again. Ive tried both the PA to Tier 3 and last night I stared with the KM at tier 2. I dont feel the groove with either as of yet. I used to play US DD's mostly with some RU mixed in. I like to mix it up, contest caps, brawl, and in general be the sneaky little annoying bastard that throws a monkey in the wrench for the red team. Hunting other DD's was my favorite past time. So my question is, later up the tiers, which DD line would be best suited for this play style? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks! ~Wyngs

Edited by Wyngs_2015
  • Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
1,770 posts
10,243 battles

Kind of sounds like you want to stick with the USN DDs to me.  

Of the two nations you're trying now, you may like them, but you need to move a lot further up the trees until you truly get into the "national flavor".

Pan-Asians are all over the place as you go up the tiers, until you reach T8-10 and they basically become USN DDs with better smoke and deep water torps.  So that's an option.

Germans are pretty good all-rounders too.  Maybe not the strongest in most areas but they make up for it by having hydro.

Russians are long range gunboat/mini-cruisers, and IJN and sneaky torp ninjas that don't want to get into a gunfight if they can help it.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
1,151 posts
8,806 battles

I feel like German DDs are some of the best DD hunters because of their hydro in the mid/upper tiers.  USN DDs are obviously good as well, as are specialty boats like Loyang which also has hydro.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,989 posts
4,484 battles

Probably a mix between KM and USN DD's. 

Depending on what you want. 

USN DD's provide a more balanced approach, meaning they have a tool for every DD vs DD situation, but are not specialized in any sense outside of RAW DPM at close range. 

KM DD's provide a more specialized approach in DD vs DD combat, in that they have that awesome Hydro at 10 that can be used as a "ace in the sleeve" against any other DD classes. 

However KM DD's can be caught off balance if you encounter another DD player who can outplay your trump card. 

One of the big factors in play for me as a USN DD is that I have DF AA vs any strike groups, which tend to look for me around caps in those DD vs DD situations. 

On the flip side, the often overlooked strength of KM DD's are they have incredible torpedo reload, allowing them to be more flexible in torping smokes and keeping area's saturated with torpedo spreads. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
284 posts
5,803 battles

For the style of play that was described, it sounds like the US or German DDs would fit best. Players that want to contest caps, try to brawl while hiding in smoke and sniping with torps. Being a sneaky fly in the ointment will drive your opponents crazy. Good luck and we will see you on the high seas!

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Members
1,095 posts
24,830 battles
39 minutes ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

Hey everyone. Im sort of slowly coming back after being away for a long time. I play DD's as much as other ship classes combined, always have, but I am very rusty. So, with that in mind, I have decided to start up another DD line, in part for a new experience and in part to hopefully regain the skills that I used to have. Feels almost like being a new player again. Ive tried both the PA to Tier 3 and last night I stared with the KM at tier 2. I dont feel the groove with either as of yet. I used to play US DD's mostly with some RU mixed in. I like to mix it up, contest caps, brawl, and in general be the sneaky little annoying bastard that throws a monkey in the wrench for the red team. Hunting other DD's was my favorite past time. So my question is, later up the tiers, which DD line would be best suited for this play style? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks! ~Wyngs

Hey Wyngs- Welcome back!  Surprisingly, both DD lines you mentioned (the PA & KM) can be very fun and very effective at your "DD hunter concept".

The KM DD's hydro makes it one of the best cap contester in the game (and DD hunters within hydro range).  The trick w/ KM DDs is that they are fundamentally torp boats w/ lower damage but fast reloading torps, but w/ decent guns as well.   KM DDs rely on flooding DOT w/ multiple torp hits to get your kills rather than one devastating strike.  Also, in cap contests, the trick is to get the enemy DD within your hydro range, smoke, then hammer them from stealth - your hydro can see the enemy DD, they can only blind-fire into your smoke.   The 150mm gun options on the T6 & T8 make this a fun line for wrecking cruisers showing you broadside as well.

The Pan-Asians are hugely fun too w/ devastating undetectable torps for Cruisers and larger ships - BUT - there is kinda of a "must have" when you configure your Pan-Asian DD.  You need to make sure you take the "Premium Smoke" consummable option - tho a PA DD smoke is short lasting, if you also have Superintendent, this gives you up to 6 smoke charges that will only have a 10 sec. cooldown gap before you can smoke again.  Without this choice, the DD plays a lot differently  The trick w/ PA DDs is to position yourself to target BBs whenever possible and do the following when engaging DDs.  If at all possible, you want to make sure the enemy DD is firing or is spottable by another friendly or aircraft if possible.  This lets you smoke and engage the DD from almost contiinuous relative safety - the Pan-Asian DD guns are comparable to the gun characteristics of the national lines the DDs originally came from (in the case of the IJN lineage, the PA DDs guns are much better than an IJN DDs guns).  The PA line also has one of the best Premiums for DD killing in caps from smoke, the Lo Yang, which can be used as a hydro killer like the KM DDs, but the LoYang hydro has over 5 km range (farther than the KM DDs).

• Cool 1

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles

Cool! Thanks everybody! This has given me some direction. My thoughts have been on Lo Yang....but.... Im not going to get a high tier DD without being ready for it, both in term of skills and captain levelling. I may just do both PA and KM. PA to get the captain and KM for the skills. So much has changed since I was in my prime, its going to be a long road back.........................

• Cool 1

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles
6 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Playing USN DDs first basically ruins all other DD experience for you. USN DDs are just too good.

I know thats kind of how Ive been feeling lol...................

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,155 posts
6,613 battles

The pan Asian DDs are good starting at tier 6 with what basically amounts to the Gremyashchy with better torpedoes. The tier 7 is not a direct clone but plays like USN DDs, it has a fantastic set of 5x2 torpedoes and 2x3 guns with incredible DPM and the BC turrets rotate 360 degrees. tons of fun. After that you get Benson Fletcher and Gearing again, except now with radar and deep-waters. The PA DDs have noticeably better concealment than the German ships until tier 10 I believe. And their gun systems hold up quite well.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,092 posts
18,102 battles

KM is your #1 bet, given that description. However, be aware that the line has some major speed bumps at T6 (Gaede) and T7 (Maass), which feel like they have no real identity. At T8, it starts to come into focus, and Z-52 at T10 is obscenely good at what it does.

• Cool 1

Members
270 posts
1 hour ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

Yeah the KM DDs don't get the Hydro until tier 6 at least. Right now still grinding the T5 and getting comfortable with it, seems a lot like a torp boat right now. From what I've heard the T6 to maybe T8 KM DDs use the hydro more defensively (avoiding obvious torp situations, and brawling with a DD in smoke nearby) than as a DD hunter. I have heard at least T9 and T10 though become more like what you sound like you want. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
5,908 battles

I dunno.  Both the KM and PA DD's have some pretty heavy deficiencies in the DD vs. DD knife fight.  KM guns are good, and the hydro is a nice trick, but that traverse.  If the enemy gets you in a turning contest, you're done. 

The weakness of the PA DD's in that scenario is, of course, the deep water torpedos.  Your enemy has freedom to maneuver, and knows it, and (unless they are also PA DD) may be able to force your rudder with their own torpedoes. 

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
1,770 posts
10,243 battles
55 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Playing USN DDs first basically ruins all other DD experience for you. USN DDs are just too good.

After 1,500 battles in USN DDs I am starting to try IJN DDs in earnest.  They are very different.  I've been taking notes and may at some point have enough to post thoughts that others may find useful/interesting.  We'll see.

Certainly an IJN DD needs to run from an enemy DD in most situations, which is far from the case with USN DDs.  However, if you can get yourself in an optimal situation, an IJN DD can wreck a fleet of enemy BBs more efficiently than a USN DD can.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,825 posts
16,590 battles

You have to change play styles with each nation, some a little some a lot. Have you ever thought of getting some premiums, Sims comes to mind for your play style and so does Leningrad. There are a lot of good premium DDs the most OP that you can buy (maybe not at the moment though) I would say is the Fujin and Kamikaze but most of them are decent ships.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,989 posts
4,484 battles
30 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

After 1,500 battles in USN DDs I am starting to try IJN DDs in earnest.  They are very different.  I've been taking notes and may at some point have enough to post thoughts that others may find useful/interesting.  We'll see.

Certainly an IJN DD needs to run from an enemy DD in most situations, which is far from the case with USN DDs.  However, if you can get yourself in an optimal situation, an IJN DD can wreck a fleet of enemy BBs more efficiently than a USN DD can.

Another thing about IJN DD's steaming away from their target is it plays to their gun layout advantage.

75% of most IJN DD MB's are situated in the aft section. 

If you end up in a chase situation when a USN DD is steaming towards you while you are steaming away. You can wreck him quite easily due to your superior kiting gun power. 

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
5 hours ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

For the style of play that was described, it sounds like the US or German DDs would fit best. Players that want to contest caps, try to brawl while hiding in smoke and sniping with torps. Being a sneaky fly in the ointment will drive your opponents crazy. Good luck and we will see you on the high seas!

:Smile_great: