You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jumarka

Really WG?

28 comments in this topic

[LTNY]
[LTNY]
Members
369 posts
5,141 battles

From the 0.7.2 patch notes:

-----------------------------------------------------

Visual Effects

We've received a lot of feedback about difficulties with aiming at ships which come under massive fire due to a large number of accompanying visual effects. To make aiming easier, we’ve tweaked water splashes rising after a shell hits the water, making them fall down faster. This will increase the visibility of a ship which falls under massive crossfire.

Who is asking for this? were is this feedback coming from? the forums? surveys?
Who thinks that its to hard to hit a ship that is already being targeted by several players?

It always crosses my mind while I am being subject to "massive crossfire": Gee, I think the guys are having problems pounding my BB/CA/CL/DD butt.

I LOVE that you try to fix things in the game, BUT THIS is not a thing that need fixing.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Actually there was a pretty big uproar on the forums here right after those splashes were added with people demanding ways to turn them off entirely through game settings or mods, so yeah that was a thing. 

• Cool 4

[--K--]
Members
6,626 posts
14,434 battles

I like the splashes. Even when I am shooting at ships obscured by them. To me, its a semblance of realism and it gives a little more survivability to dd's caught in massive crossfire.

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,282 posts
18,459 battles
31 minutes ago, Jumarka said:

I have seen posts where players complained of ships being hidden, and unable to be accurately fired upon, due to fire, smoke, and ordinance explosions; though in all fairness I do not believe the exact example of "massive crossfire" was specifically mentioned. I didn't post any reply or opinions because the logic of the situation, to me, seemed obvious; that when ships are hit by gunfire they will burn, smoke, and explode, all of which will obscure an enemy players vision. I also think this was unnecessary, but I have seen complaints concerning the issue; I personally just thought they were unrealistic. WoW apparently thinks otherwise.

• Cool 1

Members
2,151 posts
14,380 battles
37 minutes ago, Jumarka said:

From the 0.7.2 patch notes:

Visual Effects

We've received a lot of feedback about difficulties with aiming at ships which come under massive fire due to a large number of accompanying visual effects. To make aiming easier, we’ve tweaked water splashes rising after a shell hits the water, making them fall down faster. This will increase the visibility of a ship which falls under massive crossfire.

Who thinks that its to hard to hit a ship that is already being targeted by several players?

It always crosses my mind while I am being subject to "massive crossfire": Gee, I think the guys are having problems pounding my BB/CA/CL/DD butt.

I LOVE that you try to fix things in the game, BUT THIS is not a thing that need fixing.

Trust me there is nothing more frustrating then trying to focus a target in clan battles but your not hitting anything due to a massive wall of white water. And this gets even worse if the ship is on fire. Because then you have absolutely no clue to were the superstructure is or the hull

• Cool 1

Members
2,151 posts
14,380 battles
2 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I agree, this needs to stay.  It's one of the few realistic elements of the game.

It is staying, just being tweaked 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,359 posts
13,879 battles

Personally I don't have a huge issue with the shell splashes and being able to sort your shell splashes out from the shell splashes was a very real problem historically. If there is that much fire going in on one ship it is not long for the match, find another target. The Japanese solution was unique, dye in the base of the shell.

• Cool 1

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
4 minutes ago, Istilian said:

I like them too.  Are mods to turn them off common?  If so (and they're allowed mods), it does make it a bit unfair.

Love the avatar.  Homeworld, brings many memories.  Played first one in multiplayer for a very long time, still remember the sounds of dial up modem :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

[LTNY]
[LTNY]
Members
369 posts
5,141 battles
3 hours ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Actually there was a pretty big uproar on the forums here right after those splashes were added with people demanding ways to turn them off entirely through game settings or mods, so yeah that was a thing. 

Dam, I missed it  :cap_wander:

But it doesn't seem to be a current/constant complain like Smoke, fire, CVs, etc

[LTNY]
[LTNY]
Members
369 posts
5,141 battles
3 hours ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Trust me there is nothing more frustrating then trying to focus a target in clan battles but your not hitting anything due to a massive wall of white water. And this gets even worse if the ship is on fire. Because then you have absolutely no clue to were the superstructure is or the hull

I can understand that, but being in a clan battle, can´t the team coordinate their fire more effectively than in a random battle with a bunch of strangers?

If the enemy ship is on fire and being fired upon by more than 2 ships, its pretty much gone most of the time.

[LTNY]
[LTNY]
Members
369 posts
5,141 battles
3 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

I agree, this needs to stay.  It's one of the few realistic elements of the game.

ssssshhhh, don't use that word.

[LTNY]
[LTNY]
Members
369 posts
5,141 battles
3 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

Love the avatar.  Homeworld, brings many memories.  Played first one in multiplayer for a very long time, still remember the sounds of dial up modem :cap_haloween:

"This is the Garden of Kadesh,...  if you not join then die, there is no withdrawal from the Garden"

One of the most epic "Oh crap" moments for me in gaming.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,771 posts
22,131 battles
13 hours ago, TTK_Aegis said:

I have less a problem with splashes than the added smoke/fire/gun blast effects that were added at the same time. If your ship is burning the smoke obscures your aiming ability at close range as does the gun blast. All that does is promote more camping IMHO and was an unnecessary addition to the game. 

[VVVVV]
[VVVVV]
Members
75 posts
8,651 battles

I think they should stay as is they look cl and give a slight chance foe dd and or cruisers to live a couple second longer as I'm sure it doesn't hinder ability to hit a bb

• Cool 1

Members
16 posts
305 battles

I had this very thing happen a couple of battles ago. I had to hold my salvo for only a second. Which allowed another ship to lite my fire. Oh well. That's the game. 

Maybe they should allow all ships on a map visible to the other team. Or not allow visuals of any kind to reveal ships hiding behind islands unless an ally tags them in-game.

Wait. That'd wouldn't be fare. Right.

0 posts

It didn't really bother me but there were times I waited until the splashes were done doing their thing to fire.

[LTNY]
[LTNY]
Members
369 posts
5,141 battles
5 hours ago, Elegant_Winter said:

It didn't really bother me but there were times I waited until the splashes were done doing their thing to fire.

Yes, like waiting a full second before firing? Its not like the effect takes that long right now.

[LTNY]
[LTNY]
Members
369 posts
5,141 battles
6 hours ago, Kenzayla said:

I had this very thing happen a couple of battles ago. I had to hold my salvo for only a second. Which allowed another ship to lite my fire. Oh well. That's the game. 

Maybe they should allow all ships on a map visible to the other team. Or not allow visuals of any kind to reveal ships hiding behind islands unless an ally tags them in-game.

Wait. That'd wouldn't be fare. Right.

Spotting in the game is a tricky thing since WG took the road of invisible ships in open water because reasons.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
22 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

I like the splashes. Even when I am shooting at ships obscured by them. To me, its a semblance of realism and it gives a little more survivability to dd's caught in massive crossfire.

This...I find myself holding fire for a few seconds here and there waiting for splashes, explosions, and fire smoke to clear a little. Seems like that obscuring would take place if I were a real gunner. 

Members
2,151 posts
14,380 battles
10 hours ago, Jumarka said:

I can understand that, but being in a clan battle, can´t the team coordinate their fire more effectively than in a random battle with a bunch of strangers?

If the enemy ship is on fire and being fired upon by more than 2 ships, its pretty much gone most of the time.

Thats what in saying. Having 3-4 people targetin. A bb all with cruisers which are usually Hindy/moskva/HIV sooo your looking at ~30ish shells every 10seconds hitting around that boat. Normally only about ~15 will actually hit. The rest splash water around the boat making it impossible to see. (Using reverseing battleship for an example) if a lot of the shots are landing in front of bow you wont be able to see superstructure

0 posts
13 hours ago, Jumarka said:

Yes, like waiting a full second before firing? Its not like the effect takes that long right now.

Sometimes longer, obviously. It depends on how many shells were fired at the destroyer, and the time between the shells hitting the water. Hypothetically, a destroyer could be obscured by splashes for 10 seconds or more.

• Cool 1