Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dawggunner

An old Yubari Captain's hopes and dreams for the IJN line

9 comments in this topic

[COOLI]
Members
101 posts
9,666 battles

I have been playing IJN cruisers, specifically Yubari, since i bought into CBT. I fell in love. The speed, maneuverability, the high Alpla damage strikes. Between their 203s and their torpedoes they can put a hurtin on anything they come across. I love the whole cruiser line, and the premiums. And here's what the heart of my post is about: I'm ready for more. So im gonna throw out some brainstroming ideas, and at somepoint provide some math and images and let all my fellow captains chime in.

I started life as an IJN player in the Yubari. A not particulary spectacular light cruiser. But I love it so much. A small, fast, agile, lightly armored hull. Two turrets with two small lasers. A poor torpedo arc but hardhitting torps. And the best AA in its tier, and still very useful when uptiered with DFC. It's a unique ship to say the least. And when you play it right it makes so much sense. It's not easy but it's still a ton of fun, and you can do really well sometimes. But it means planes need to be an essentially part of your game experience, which i thoroughly enjoy. Which mean more CVs....oh this has been brought up before.. ok got it. But in the meantime let's make some more of these unique IJN ships! Allow me to toss out some thoughts here...

The IJN Cruiser Split Theory

Ok so I've seen alot about this but I defitintely haven't read it all. Starting at T5 IJN cruisers are rockin' 203s. And they're awesome. But there were a few cruisers in the Japanese inventory that were armed with smaller calibers. The problem with the split is that the current line is literally a Jack of All Trades line: they can choose between Hyrdo and DFC, have torps, and big guns with great shells in both flavors. So what might this other line specialize in? What might a Sendai specialize in at T5; torpedoes? Maybe... Four double launchers...Mark 93s....fast reloads potentially....could be fun!(plus a plane of course). But a torpedo cruiser at tier 6? Perhaps Yahagi of the Agano-class! It's got six 152s in three turrets in a modern configuration. But as its main offensive weapon it had two centerline-mounted quadruple torpedo launchers with a rapid reload system....Reload Booster anyone??? It wouldn't be the first cruiser to get that consumable sine the Huanghe has that honor. But its firing Mark 93s. Thats gonna be dangerous for everyone. But what about tier 7 huh? No idea. the tequila tells me to bring back kitakami....but...no. And that's kinda where I run outta ideas. And why I think the line won't work, as much as I wish it did. It's just... wonky.

The Tone Issue/Carrier Hybrids

I think the idea of cruisers and batttleships having CV-like control of their aircraft is fascinating. But, gosh, if youre going to be any use to your team you've got to sail, and fight, and fly effective sorites...and manually aim if you have bombers? Thats a lot of multitasking. How about the cruisers just launch double fighters AND double spotting planes as a base feature. Spotting planes are more effective/further out? Quicker reload on these consumables? I'm not sure. But these could be fun! I'm not even gonna try to iron out the Ise.

My personal favorites

Honestly i dont know if they'll ever make it into the game. I'd like to see them as them reward ships for campaigns so i don't have to buy them. But I'd settle for that. These are the Agano-class, the Ôyodo-class, and the Tone-class. Here's what i'm potentially looking for: 1) An IJN torpedo cruiser of the Agano-class around tier 5 or 6. Fun, if weak, guns reminiscent of the Yubari as well as stealth, speed, and maneuverability. But the torps will be it's identity. 2) An AA heavy IJN cruiser with the Ôyodo-class armed with those 100mm AA guns doing good damage at long range. Despite it's later heritage I think it might be safest around tier 5 ot 6. With only 2 forward facing turrets and no torps its not the hardest hitting ship in the Imperial Navy by any stretch of the imagination. 3) The Tone duking it out with four double 203 forward-mounted turrets at tier 6 or more likely tier7. With good AA capabilities and multiple modded plane consumables, minus manual control this would be unique as all getout. And retaining those great Mark 93s, of course.

That's all i have in me tonight but im coming back to this brainstorming session. in the mean time,  have at it!

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,011 posts
14,978 battles

IF WG brings in the Agano etc., they will probably be mid level premiums. Especially if they keep the IJN flavor of slow turrets. They are just unremarkable compared to other lines. Remember the Agano gets cast-off Kongo guns that really can't compete with other, more modern 6" gunned cruisers. Its a Tier 5 at best and not a particularly good one.  Oyodo then at tier 6 still only has 6 guns, extra aircraft (that do what?) with no rearward firing guns, OK mid tier AA. Armor is pretty light, but that's not unique to them (French CLs!) but pretty much precludes "bow-tanking".  If they start throwing in special perks, like smoke, then they might be lesser equivalents of the Huanghe (it has much more modern Russian guns and heavy AA).

They would have to decide (which they haven't yet in years) how to deal with the hybrids and their aircraft. Hard to build a separate line around them.

[COOLI]
Members
101 posts
9,666 battles

I'm fine with the idea of them being premiums. And I agree they'll probably be weak for their tier. but im ok with thtat, i think. In addition to yubari i like the Krispy Kream and the Katori. i like making uderdog ship works for me. As for Oyodo, smoke would be interesting. But i dont think its likely. i think youre right that it doesnt have a strong identity. I'm hoping with those great 100mm DP guns give it a Japanese cleveland feel at t6, but at the sametime i recognize its not in the same league. An IJN cruiser without torps? odd.

As for hybrids, I don't think they'll ever have a line for them. 2 Premiums maybe? i'm not super concerned, i just have a soft spot for Tone.

[CVA16]
Members
5,011 posts
14,978 battles

WG probably is resistant to putting out a unique premium they know will be bad. Same amount of work to make the model for less sales. Only collectors buying it. May have to give it away like the Katori. The Huanghe on the other hand did get a bad review from LWM but is actually still one of the best performing cruisers at its tier. Not sure how it's sales are going. Don't see many of them.

I think Agano would have bad torp angles to go with those meh guns and you're right, an IJN cruiser with NO torps?!? Sacrilege!! They couldn't make the 100mm's good enough to compensate for that. It would be interesting to see what they give Tone to make up for losing a turret and any ability to shoot astern.

Some players will buy the ship just to have it in port. I think WG wants more sales than that, thus MOST premiums are as good as the better tech tree ships or crush them.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,533 posts
12,810 battles
On 2/15/2018 at 5:45 PM, Sabot_100 said:

WG probably is resistant to putting out a unique premium they know will be bad. Same amount of work to make the model for less sales. Only collectors buying it. May have to give it away like the Katori. The Huanghe on the other hand did get a bad review from LWM but is actually still one of the best performing cruisers at its tier. Not sure how it's sales are going. Don't see many of them.

I think Agano would have bad torp angles to go with those meh guns and you're right, an IJN cruiser with NO torps?!? Sacrilege!! They couldn't make the 100mm's good enough to compensate for that. It would be interesting to see what they give Tone to make up for losing a turret and any ability to shoot astern.

Some players will buy the ship just to have it in port. I think WG wants more sales than that, thus MOST premiums are as good as the better tech tree ships or crush them.

It's performing well because the only people that PLAY Huang He are pretty good.  The ship is trash.

Here's something for an old Yubari captain, just finished this game:

shot-18.02.17_23.10.04-0401.jpg

• Cool 1

[COOLI]
Members
101 posts
9,666 battles

So in the middle of a T5 game in my Gremy I figured out how to articluate what it is that I'm looking for: A japanese AA cruiser with DFC at T5. WHY? Becuase i like the IJN, and I like shooting down planes, and they have a couple "outlier" or "anomaly" AA ships: Yubari, Kii, Atago{kinda). So lets make Oyodo  or Yahagi at T5 and throw it in the game! Thoughts captains? 

Members
7 posts
2,212 battles

I think the Yubari could use one small adjustment to truly bring it to its rightly deserved form, increase the lone Secondary Gun range to 4.5 KMs, just like the identical secondaries on the Aoba.  I have to agree with the Wiki when it says 'Yūbari is a fairly mediocre Japanese cruiser for Tier IV.', and for a premium which I paid for, I think it could use a slight change to bring it line with its competition and still fit its experimental nature.  

Edited by coldslaw

[COOLI]
Members
101 posts
9,666 battles

I would agree @coldslaw the secondary needsd to be buffed. I'd say anywhere between 3.5 to 4.5 would be fair. It shoots that far engaging aircraft anyway. its pathetic range does make for hilarious "close quarters expert" achievements though!

Also, I want to talk about a new idea for a premium Japanese cruiser: Maya

As a T7 IJN AA CA. Yup, I'm stuck on these things. But here's the history: IJN starts realizing that they need more AA so they pop the number 3 turret off a Takao-class cruiser, added two more twin 127s and lots of 12.7s. same number of 25mm barrels but lots of triple and single mounts instead of the mix on her sister ships.  What makes her more special that just more AA? do hydro and AA. up the damage on the AA guns perhaps, slight reload buff on the guns(you lose a turret), and maybe just a little bit more nimble(you lose a turret).

I'm not saying i'm dying to buy ships from WG but i want diversity like this in the game for history buffs with me stupid enough to spend money on their favorite ships.

[CVA16]
Members
5,011 posts
14,978 battles
14 hours ago, dawggunner said:

IJN starts realizing that they need more AA so they pop the number 3 turret off a Takao-class cruiser, added two more twin 127s

In this case I think the mod was forced on them when the turret was destroyed and getting a replacement was going to be tough considering IJN building priorities. Notice they didn't make the mod to any other cruisers.

It might be an interesting Premium. WG already has the model for the ship and all the parts. Are you suggesting the ship has hydro and DF as a perk?

Sign in to follow this