You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

do any of the mods mark a ship as having radar?

20 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,828 battles

Now that I have Tier VI dds, I'm meeting cruisers who have radar and they are having me for lunch in Random.  I have a list of radar-equipped cruisers taped above my monitor but by the time I look up and recognize that I'm in front of one of them, I'm already in trouble. Can Aslain's mod mark a radar ship by symbol or color?  What I ask is not crazy.  In WWII, once a ship was identified, a competent crew would relay to the command staff what her capabilities were (at least as far as they knew given current intel).  I'm only asking for the same information.

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,155 posts
6,613 battles

There are, but I don't use mods so I don't know what it would be called specifically.

My suggestion is this: Permanently turn on the alternative battle interface mode if you haven't already, it will make it so any spotted ship has its name above with its HP. (found in settings on the third page) Also turn on the ship names for your minimap. (Hold ctrl and click the gear above your minimap, if you can't read them use the + and - keys to change mas size)

Once that's on make sure you take the time before a match starts to look at the enemy team lineup. (You can also do this while moving into position by holding TAB)  Compare their list to your own that you have taped up, make a mental note of which names to beware of. That way whenever anything gets spotted you have a mental head start on what to expect and look out for.

If the radar ship sneaks up on you the best thing to do is simply run for your life, point your stern at them and wiggle. Don't fire your guns, don't look for a torpedo drop, just save yourself. Until tier 10 radar is very short in duration. If you survive the initial shock you can go and play normally again.

And if you haven't, add radar range to your list, look at that once you've identified what the enemy has, if you still have time of course.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
4,095 posts
11,497 battles

I believe the competent crew relaying the stats is you looking at the sticky on your monitor.  The phrase "working up a crew" refers to building those very skills, just as you are doing.  It is why a ship did not enter combat until the crew had been "worked up" a bit.  I, too, went (am going) through the same process you are right now.  From looking at my stickies (which are still there), I eventually memorized a lot of what I need to know.  I also hover over a ship in the loading screen to refresh myself on some details.  Finally, there is a mod in Aslain's that gives you some info on a ship that you are aimed at - think it is called Info Panels.  I tried it for a while, but it blocked my view more than I liked.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[--K--]
Members
5,333 posts
16,794 battles

There is a simple way to stay out of the radar trap. ALL USN and Russia Cruiser starting at T8 have radar. All British Cruiser at T8 Can have radar buts its a Bold Move Cotton for them to take, so just pretend the British cruiser has radar till you see them blow smoke and camp. 

Now you only need to worry about the Atlanta, Belfast and Indianapolis as these are the only T7 Radar ships. For the first two avoid getting inside of 8.5km and for the Indy its 9.9km and their radar won't touch you. 

For the higher tier ships the US and British stay at 9.5km to 10km to be safe. But for the Russians you want to stay 12km from their radar. 

Also don't be surprised if you run into a Pan Asia DD at T8+ with radar but don't worry it only has a 7.5km range and it doesn't last long so don't panic. 

Finally don't confuse Radar for Hydro which only has a max range of 5.9km and as few ships can beat that range with their detection you'll be spotted before it works. Well unless you're hiding in smoke but than you need to be making plans to run if a ship with hydro is coming for you. 

The more you play and learn the better you will be at knowing this kind of information without looking at a sticky note [Though I commend you for writing this info down, knowledge is power] or relying on a mod which will be broken next patch or out right banned. 

And remember there is nothing wrong with asking for advice and the Wiki is your friend. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Surveillance_Radar_Data

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Hydroacoustic_Search

• Cool 2

[O7]
Members
2,004 posts
16,380 battles

the above is correct, also note Atlanta, Belfast, and Indianapolis at T7 have radar. honestly, it isn't hard to memorize once you get more games under your belt.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,399 posts
17,609 battles

Also, Missouri has radar.

• Cool 1

Members
116 posts
13,753 battles

As I see it, you really don't have to remember much

If its US or Russian CA T8+ assume roughly 9k and 11k radar respectively

If its Pan Asian DD or Brit CA T8+ remember it possible but rare, roughtly 7.5k and 8.5k respectivly

if its german assume 6k hydro

yeah you should also remember Lo Yang, Atlanta, Black, Flint, Belfast, Indiana but  if you keep in mind the first three points you'll be good 70% of the time.

or keep it even simpler...  when getting ready to engage T7+   Assume the worst and set up your attack/escape plan accordingly. 

otherwise study and remember... knowledge is power and always better than a crutch in the long run.

Members
34 posts
1,694 battles

It would be nice to have a simple icon added to the mini map- maybe make the slash in the cruiser/bb a different color (like orange) and outline dd's with radar/hydro.  Maybe have the same slash color difference above the ships as well.  I wish I could code and I would mod it!!!

[FEM]
Supertester
274 posts
8,138 battles

There are some player panel / ship icon mods that show which ships have the possibility of mounting radar.

However there is no way of telling IF said ships actually has radar (RN CL, PA DDs). So it is kind of unreliable.

The best way is to just memorize that list or make "safe" generalizations if you don't want to learn all of them.

[SPTR]
Members
2,298 posts
2,080 battles

If you have a list on your monitor, then check the enemy team as you load in and see if there are any radars around. But usually expect there to be radar, and plan accordingly, as stated above.

• Cool 1

[R-SKY]
Members
421 posts
14,638 battles

I'm not sure if the premium tier 8 Russian cruiser Mikhail Kutuzov had radar. Does it?

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
12,476 battles
12 minutes ago, Coyote720 said:

I'm not sure if the premium tier 8 Russian cruiser Mikhail Kutuzov had radar. Does it?

It does not have Radar. It can slot Hydro instead of Defensive Fire.

• Cool 1

[THOR]
Members
436 posts
5,614 battles
On 2/15/2018 at 5:06 PM, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

If you have a list on your monitor, then check the enemy team as you load in and see if there are any radars around. But usually expect there to be radar, and plan accordingly, as stated above.

That is what I do. When I am in DD I look at the red list and mental check the Radar ships. After awhile you wont forget them.

[SPTR]
Members
2,298 posts
2,080 battles
3 minutes ago, TwoLate51 said:

That is what I do. When I am in DD I look at the red list and mental check the Radar ships. After awhile you wont forget them.

Yeah. I usually play BB's, so I assume I'm always spotted, but for sneaky cruisers and DD's, definitely.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
On 2/15/2018 at 5:06 PM, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

This.  Figure out which ships in that match likely have radar while you're waiting for the battle to start, and then when you see any of them in game you already know to use caution.  This has the added benefit of helping you commit all of this info into long term memory, via the repetition.

Members
34 posts
1,694 battles
On 2/15/2018 at 9:36 AM, tmGrunty said:

There are some player panel / ship icon mods that show which ships have the possibility of mounting radar.

However there is no way of telling IF said ships actually has radar (RN CL, PA DDs). So it is kind of unreliable.

The best way is to just memorize that list or make "safe" generalizations if you don't want to learn all of them.

Which mods are you talking about?  I have checked the current version of Aslain's and have looked at the side panels- I didn't see anything that made it obvious for the types that can use radar.  Do you know the name of the mod?

I would love to see a mod that shows a change in the ship icon on the mini map, because I am constantly checking the mini map for detection ranges as it is.

[RO-I]
Members
370 posts
On 2/15/2018 at 5:33 AM, Reckun said:

It would be nice to have a simple icon added to the mini map- maybe make the slash in the cruiser/bb a different color (like orange) and outline dd's with radar/hydro.  Maybe have the same slash color difference above the ships as well.  I wish I could code and I would mod it!!!

Its called 'Cheats'....you create it....you get lifetime ban. Worth it?

• Meh 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,018 posts
14,978 battles
4 hours ago, tincan_SC said:

Its called 'Cheats'....you create it....you get lifetime ban. Worth it?

The mod would be as valid as many others that are allowed in the game. WG allows a mod that shows whether a target ship is going forward, stopped or in reverse. Something that is often visually very difficult to do in a timely manner. This would just mark certain ships that COULD have radar mounted with a some mini-map designation along with a range ring for that radar. Based strictly on the ships name. The same info you could get with a good memory or a cheatsheet by your computer. It would not mark the ship if it wasn't already spotted so radar through islands would still work (unfortunately). Minimap would get real busy though, especially if it showed potential hydro ranges too. Might have to target the ship to see the radar/hydro ring.

I think RPF should give a bearing (only) to any ship in range using radar (second, more narrow arc).