You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ulthwey

This hack ... Ehem, sorry ... "Mod" is legal according to WG. Have fun exploiting this folks.

432 comments in this topic

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

All the top clans are using this hack ... ehem, sorry ... "mod" in clan battles, and according to WG this is "legal". Next time you are hit a 30-60 seconds after you became concealed or get smacked repeatedly while in smoke, well this is how your enemy is doing it. Have fun exploiting this folks.

Its called "Minimap by Autospy" (or the other minimap mod, cant remember the name), and in battle enable "firing range" option on your minimap. You may need "target lines" as well. You can murder people in smoke easily, you can accurately shoot and kill people over islands,  you can shoot people over 8km in a cyclone and etc. No skill required. Have fun cheating ... ehem, sorry abusing the f*ck out of the game.

P.S Now you can accurately shoot at:

1. People outside your range (8km) IN A CYCLONE. You use minimap to guide your shots onto target highlighted by a friendly.
  2. People behind islands.
  3. People in smoke.
  4. People who are NOT seen, who are positioned in predesignated defensive positions.
  5. etc, etc, and etc.

Edited by Ulthwey
  • Cool 6
  • Meh 5

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

Your not the first person to bring this up, very powerful tool in certain situations, especially against smoked up RN cruisers

Alpha Tester
6,247 posts
3,091 battles
Just now, checksix51_2 said:

Don’t exactly see a problem here. As far from the video I could tell it’s not a mod, just a feature 

What he's referring to is the little X on the minimap. Line it up with the last known position marker and you can basically see through smoke without turning on Radar or Hydro.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
1,912 posts
7,304 battles

I run vanilla.  Until this mod, I had no issue with anything in the official or Aslain's modpack.  This, however......friend showed me it a few weeks ago, this is unfair and should not be allowed.  I would feel shameful using it.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
Just now, HowitzerBlitzer said:

You tell us about a great mod, but don't give a download link. Hmm

Its part of Aslains, I included the instructions.

Members
1,944 posts
2,492 battles
Just now, Ulthwey said:

Its part of Aslains, I included the instructions.

I want a standalone download, Aslain's installer has never been friendly with me.

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,155 posts
6,613 battles

And this folks is why you move in your smoke after you drop off detection. My question is, how well does this help with firing over islands?

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
795 posts
2,039 battles

Ive used this to some effect for both smoke firing and firing at previously detected ships, but it really only works against stationary vessels.

EDIT: Actually thinking about it, the place this is actually the most useful is shotting at spotted vessels while under the effects of a cyclone... but even that is so rare now that I dont think any of it is actually worth worrying about.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
Just now, X15 said:

And this folks is why you move in your smoke after you drop off detection. My question is, how well does this help with firing over islands?

Very accurate, but you dont get the "lock on" boost to your dispersion. But you can consistently land hits at sh*t you can't see (or saw 2 minutes ago).

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
12 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

Your not the first person to bring this up, very powerful CHEAT in certain situations, especially against smoked up RN cruisers

Fixed that for you.

11 minutes ago, checksix51_2 said:

Don’t exactly see a problem here. As far from the video I could tell it’s not a mod, just a feature 

^ Don't see a problem with this? Don't even know how to respond to this. YES, it IS a problem. Allowing one player to aim via the mini-map while all others who don't have the mod can't, IS A HUGE PROBLEM.

11 minutes ago, DESRON10 said:

I was wondering how they were pulling this $hit off, doesn't surprise me, they really need to just ban all mods.

^ Absolutely agree and have said this many times. Stuff like this is why ALL MODS need to be banned.

• Cool 16
  • Meh 7

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,029 battles

All it does is show where on the minimap your crosshair is? Who cares. You don't need this to aim at the enemy's last known position. Even if you are going to shoot at the last know position, 99% of the time you will hit nothing. Even the ships who sit still in smoke aren't going to be in the position they first were spotted entering it from. It won't even work against bots, since bots drift don't and do that either. 

Did you know locking to last spotted location is already a feature with no mods required to work? Shift-X.

• Cool 5
  • Meh 7

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,854 posts
5,982 battles

Oh the humanity! If only there was an easy counter to this!

Oh wait, my keyboard as a W and a S key.

Phew, for a moment there I thought I was being forced to sit stationary in my smoke screens.

In all seriousness, this is a little cheeky and probably shouldn't be allowed, but I cannot remember the last time I was hit in my smoke screen since I always move inside them.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[RMRGD]
Members
452 posts
21,709 battles

With more then 12,000 battles here i will offer this.     The X on the minimap is an advantage no matter how you look at it.   However it is odd that you simply disappear in smoke without any way of firing in the last known position.     But it truely is only an advantage when shooting at a target in smoke or those rare shots being mountains if you can do it with your arcs being so low when not having a lock on. 

So is it an advantage?   YES!     Is it a cheat?  No.   It will not make poor players far better. It will just make good players slightly better.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[GWG]
Members
6,722 posts
12,789 battles

Yes the heavy hitting players has it.

Their heavy hitting opponents ALSO have it.

Learn how to use the tool - so you learn how to defeat it.

Add this to RD, Radar, Hydro, and 'visual' tweaking -- and away you go. 

The game loses it's beauty and grace, but that's not why these folks are here.

• Meh 5

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

One simply needs to objectively read the comments listed above to see why this clearly needs to be banned. Even those defending it are giving the very reasons it needs to go.

• Cool 13

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
795 posts
2,039 battles
1 minute ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

One simply needs to objectively read the comments listed above to see why this clearly needs to be banned. Even those defending it are giving the very reasons it needs to go.

Why is that again? Because it allows you to do something youre already able to do?

• Meh 2

Members
339 posts
5,488 battles
8 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Makes me wonder if this was responsible for the extremely accurate smoke firing in the King of the Sea tournament.

It isn't that hard to shoot someone in smoke that's actively shooting out of it, especially cruiser sized targets and/or with a spotter plane. 

• Meh 1

[SYN]
Members
15,692 posts
12,778 battles
2 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

All it does is show where on the minimap your crosshair is? Who cares. You don't need this to aim at the enemy's last known position. Even if you are going to shoot at the last know position, 99% of the time you will hit nothing. 

That's not true.

spotterplane allows players without the mod to do something similar, but having the mod also means you don't have to use the spotter

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,562 posts
21,359 battles

It's really not a huge deal. I nail cruisers and DDs in smoke all the time without a mod. If they're sitting still and spitting out fire, it's not hard. Minotaurs using ripplefire are especially vulnerable to this, as it gives you a pretty clear origin point to shoot at.

Edited by poeticmotion
  • Meh 2

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,029 battles
10 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Makes me wonder if this was responsible for the extremely accurate smoke firing in the King of the Sea tournament.

No, this mod doesn't allow you to do anything that you can't already do. If you see most of the smoke firing was shooting at the middle of advancing smoke clouds, which this mod doesn't even assist you with.