Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Suggestion when switching dd lines and Tiers if your over 50

22 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,828 battles

After a close game with my Fabuki (T6) in Random, my very next game was in my T4 Clemson (also in Random) because she is my comfort ship.  Full disclosure, I've been concentrating on T6 play lately so my brain was in that place. The Fabuki is a very nice torp dd with long range torps and decent (abait slow) guns.  The Clemson is a gun brawler with short-ranged torps.  They play very different. 

Anyhow, get in my Clemson game, and I can't hit anything with the guns because they have very different arcs than the Fabuki or the Farragut.  If you're in a gun dd and you can't hit what you're aiming at, you're toast.  Went and played a couple of Co-op games to get my aim point back and then just has a decent Random game with the Clemson.

Moral of the story, in one sitting for me, it's probably not a great strategy to jump both a line and a Tier or two unless I play a Co-op game or two to get recalibrated.

Have you guys experienced the same thing?  It's probably not such a big deal to you guys in your 20s and 30s, but for us grey beards over 50, it's harder for our brains to switch gears 

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,155 posts
6,613 battles

As a 20 something I too experience this regularly. I've been trying to contain my game sessions to individual ships, with very little success.

The ships that mess me up the most are my Hindenburg with it's good velocity and slight float to Moskva with incredible velocity and flat arcs. I find myself constantly over leading targets.

Edited by X15

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles

AMajor, whatchu talking about?  Graybeards????  I'm 58 and I switch between ship types, ships, and tiers all the time, and don't have any difficulty doing so!   Bring'em on!!!  :cap_rambo:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,399 posts
17,609 battles

41 here. Needing a game or two to re-adjust the brain to a change in gun handling is not just for old people. Mouse, a 20-something, even wrote a whole guide about sticking to ships with similar gun handling during a play session if you want to really improve.

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,828 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Mouse, a 20-something, even wrote a whole guide about sticking to ships with similar gun handling during a play session if you want to really improve.

Do you have a link for this info?

6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

AMajor, whatchu talking about?  Graybeards????  I'm 58 and I switch between ship types, ships, and tiers all the time, and don't have any difficulty doing so!   Bring'em on!!! 

Some days, I can do it better than others.  If I stay within a Tier, I seem to be able to switch lines and types pretty well (I don't play BBs much or CVs at all, so.....limited types).  If I stay within a line but switch Tiers, same thing.  It's when I switch BOTH lines and tiers that I get in trouble. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,399 posts
17,609 battles
8 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Do you have a link for this info?

Sure. Ok, it's less about sticking to a single ship for a play session and more concentrating on a single ship if you want to improve your WR, but the same principles are in effect.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

Most days I'll play at least one game in each ship which I'm currently leveling--right now that means Gadjah Mada, Z-23, Tashkent, and Ognevoi.  Once I've collected my "first win" bonus on each ship, I move on to the next one.  If I bang them all out fairly quickly, then I'll play some games in my premiums/T10 destroyers and/or knock out some battleship or cruiser play.

One thing I do to minimize the effect of switching between all those different ship characteristics is to always knock the ships out in the same order: 1-2 "warm up" games in my Fujin, followed by my current PA ship, then KM, then Tashkent to get it out of the way, and finally Ognevoi as my reward (unfortunately I'm only one game away from unlocking Udaloi, though).  At least for me, this has the effect of still playing into my "muscle memory" when it comes to each ship; I follow a similarly rigid path whenever I jump into BBs or cruisers as well.

The ship-hopping actually gets a bit "easier" as you get into higher tiers, simply because you end up playing far more games in each ship before you've unlocked the next one.  In general terms, the more games you've played in a particular ship, the more quickly things like aiming points and handling characteristics will come back to you.  Of course, different people need different amounts of time to dial themselves back in for each boat, so YRMV.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

Sure. Ok, it's less about sticking to a single ship for a play session and more concentrating on a single ship if you want to improve your WR, but the same principles are in effect.

My god, Lert.  That sounds boring as all ... I can't use the word here because it'd get filtered, but nothing short of an obscenity properly conveys the utter revulsion I feel for that.  If I'd have to play a single ship constantly to improve my WR, then I'd rather have a crappy WR.  This is supposed to be a game, a competitive one, yes, but at the end of the day, it should be fun to play, not a freaking job!  Personally there at times when I think that keeping statistics is not a net benefit to the game.  This is definitely one of those times!!!

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,399 posts
17,609 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

My god, Lert.  That sounds boring as all ... I can't use the word here because it'd get filtered, but nothing short of an obscenity properly conveys the utter revulsion I feel for that.  If I'd have to play a single ship constantly to improve my WR, then I'd rather have a crappy WR.  This is supposed to be a game, a competitive one, yes, but at the end of the day, it should be fun to play, not a freaking job!  Personally there at times when I think that keeping statistics is not a net benefit to the game.  This is definitely one of those times!!!

k

[DBM]
Members
530 posts
8,828 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

I have seen this before.  I remember reading this and I did start to play single ships.  I also remember plateauing.  My Clemson play started getting MUCH better after I started playing the Nick (not my favorite) and then the Farragut.  I have my head on a swivel most of the time with the Farragut and I feel overmatched in Radom play, but it has made my Clemson play deadly.

Same thing with my Isokaze.  Could not seem to find her sweet spot until I muddled through the Minekaze (what is it with theses Tier V destroyers?) and got to the Fabuki.

If you push and reach for a ship that makes you uncomfortable, it makes your play with the ships below it better.  At least, that's been my experience.  

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,155 posts
6,613 battles
9 minutes ago, AMajor said:

If you push and reach for a ship that makes you uncomfortable, it makes your play with the ships below it better.  At least, that's been my experience.  

This is one of the big secrets to doing well in this game. Powerful ships played well rarely teach anything, but a bad ship played ok will show you new levels of the game.

[AXANR]
Members
3,562 posts
21,359 battles
43 minutes ago, Lert said:

I recommend the linked guide highly. It did more than any other single tutorial or guide in helping me improve my play and win rate. I was at like 43% when I read that guide, now I bounce around in the low fifties. If you are struggling to improve, reading that guide and incorporating applicable parts of it into your play will help.

[AXANR]
Members
3,562 posts
21,359 battles
35 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Thing is, you don't have to follow it *exactly.* When I was working on improving, I didn't stick to a single ship or single line. But I did narrow it down to where I played most of my games in one line (USN DDs).  Then as I mastered them, I expanded my play. But I never stopped playing all ships in favor of one ship or one line; I would have gotten bored. I'd say 50-60% of my games for several months were USN DDs, but I still bounced around. 

The dividend was not only an improvement in win rate then, but a comfort level with USN DDs thats so high they are still my go-to when I'm getting frustrated and need to break a losing streak. Playing hundreds of battles in a single ship means you can get more out of that ship than almost anyone. 

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
7 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

Thing is, you don't have to follow it *exactly.* When I was working on improving, I didn't stick to a single ship or single line. But I did narrow it down to where I played most of my games in one line (USN DDs).  Then as I mastered them, I expanded my play. But I never stopped playing all ships in favor of one ship or one line; I would have gotten bored. I'd say 50-60% of my games for several months were USN DDs, but I still bounced around. 

The dividend was not only an improvement in win rate then, but a comfort level with USN DDs thats so high they are still my go-to when I'm getting frustrated and need to break a losing streak. Playing hundreds of battles in a single ship means you can get more out of that ship than almost anyone. 

Honestly, poetic, it would still bore me to tears.  I love the variety.  I love going from an IJN DD to an RN BB to a KM CA, or whatever.  maximum variety for maximum fun.  And the net result for me is that I can jump into almost anything in CB's (if I were in a clan, which I'm not at the moment) and play it competently.  Maybe not spectacularly well, but competently.

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,562 posts
21,359 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, poetic, it would still bore me to tears.  I love the variety.  I love going from an IJN DD to an RN BB to a KM CA, or whatever.  maximum variety for maximum fun.  And the net result for me is that I can jump into almost anything in CB's (if I were in a clan, which I'm not at the moment) and play it competently.  Maybe not spectacularly well, but competently.

Fair enough. Besides, you're good enough that the guide really isn't aimed at you anyway; I'd probably be bored now as well if I stuck to one line, but it really helped me when I was struggling to get my win rate up from 43%. I play for fun, but I'm too competitive to have fun when I'm losing constantly and don;t have the skills to make a difference. That guide was a major factor in giving me those skills. 

I see you on the other team, I mark you as a major threat no matter what you're in, so pretty sure you don't need that guide to be good. :D

Edited by poeticmotion

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
35 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

Fair enough. Besides, you're good enough that the guide really isn't aimed at you anyway; I'd probably be bored now as well if I stuck to one line, but it really helped me when I was struggling to get my win rate up from 43%. I play for fun, but I'm too competitive to have fun when I'm losing constantly and don;t have the skills to make a difference. That guide was a major factor in giving me those skills. 

I see you on the other team, I mark you as a major threat no matter what you're in, so pretty sure you don't need that guide to be good. :D

Nice to be appreciated, even if I'm not really a unicum.  I figure I can carry my own weight and maybe a little more.

I don't like using the phrase "I play for fun", mostly because it usually seems like the people who use that phrase don't care about winning.  I'm also competitive, but at the same time, i don't blow a mental gasket when I lose, at least as long as it feels like I was on a team that was giving a good effort and account of itself.  It's the teams that do stupid ... stuff ... that really grind my gears.  Or the teams that are just plain terrible.

Earlier tonight, I was in a battle in my Nelson, grinding out the captain to put in my new Monarch.  9 out of 12 people on the team lemming'd east, while myself and 2 others on the extreme west side of the spawn stay west.  The other 2 guys with me died really quickly, but thankfully I didn't push ahead with them as that would have just gotten me killed just as quickly, because the enemy team yolo'd west.  To cut the story short, my team was AWFUL.  Only 3 people on the team had over 575 base XP, myself and 2 others, who had a minimum of around 850 or more base XP.  I did almost 122k damage because I fought hard and died even harder.  But the lemmings who went east were truly pathetic.  And the thing was, the enemy team wasn't all that great.  They were just good enough to beat a truly pathetic team.  I did the best I could, but shoulders just weren't broad enough to carry that much bad.

Ah well.  Another day, another bunch of spuds to peal.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles
18 hours ago, Crucis said:

Nice to be appreciated, even if I'm not really a unicum.  I figure I can carry my own weight and maybe a little more.

I don't like using the phrase "I play for fun", mostly because it usually seems like the people who use that phrase don't care about winning.  I'm also competitive, but at the same time, i don't blow a mental gasket when I lose, at least as long as it feels like I was on a team that was giving a good effort and account of itself.  It's the teams that do stupid ... stuff ... that really grind my gears.  Or the teams that are just plain terrible.

Earlier tonight, I was in a battle in my Nelson, grinding out the captain to put in my new Monarch.  9 out of 12 people on the team lemming'd east, while myself and 2 others on the extreme west side of the spawn stay west.  The other 2 guys with me died really quickly, but thankfully I didn't push ahead with them as that would have just gotten me killed just as quickly, because the enemy team yolo'd west.  To cut the story short, my team was AWFUL.  Only 3 people on the team had over 575 base XP, myself and 2 others, who had a minimum of around 850 or more base XP.  I did almost 122k damage because I fought hard and died even harder.  But the lemmings who went east were truly pathetic.  And the thing was, the enemy team wasn't all that great.  They were just good enough to beat a truly pathetic team.  I did the best I could, but shoulders just weren't broad enough to carry that much bad.

Ah well.  Another day, another bunch of spuds to peal.

that was decent match you had in your duke of york last night.       I was thinking we lost, but we won by points .    time limit ftw  :D

if you play enough ,it doesn't take much to get used to different ships.     i pretty much play all ships, but i do stick to limited premiums for fun

Edited by centarina

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
33 minutes ago, centarina said:

that was decent match you had in your duke of york last night.       I was thinking we lost, but we won by points .    time limit ftw  :D

if you play enough ,it doesn't take much to get used to different ships.     i pretty much play all ships, but i do stick to limited premiums for fun

Yes, it was, centarina.  I don't recall doing spectacular damage, but still fairly good damage.  I absolutely LOVE my KGV, but just finished its grind to the Monarch.  I was playing the DoY as part of my captain's grind to switch him over to the Monarch (which I completed last night). 

And yeah, I think you're right, we did win a super close one on points.  I love that kind of battle where it's nip and tuck right down to the end.  You don't see many of those all that often.

I've been in some super close battles that were so close that merely jumping on an enemy cap for a few seconds so that they couldn't get cap points from that cap for a 2-3 cycles was enough to get the win.  Don't even need to capture tha base in the  situation.  Just stop them from gaining points from it, and if the enemy comes charging at you (assuming you're in a  DD), just run away.  Taking the cap's not important.  Just denying them some cap points for a few cycles.  Those are the real nail biters!

Members
236 posts
1,692 battles

I try to stick to a single ship when playing, but that's always been my preference. Currently i tend to stick to my z-46, though occasionally, if for say after a bad game, i'll play the harekaze. While they are different and even different tiers/nations, they have some things in common due to play style.

I did try going back and forth for awhile to a BB, it did not end well. Just too different of play styles and shooting mechanics.

Members
294 posts
3,688 battles

I'm a Russian DD player, and when I try and play something like, let's say, an American DD, I just can't perform well. I'm so used to the high velocity low flying arcs.

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
8,005 battles

I have mostly German and IJN ships, and, while playstyles are a bit different, I don't really have to adjust my aim much at all (Akizuki is the exception). So I hop back and forth between DDs, CAs, and even BBs in those two lines and don't have any problems. Even the RN CAs and BBs aren't really much different in performance, even if I have to slightly adjust my playstyle in the former (for the smoke meta and anti-DD focus they excel at ).  The French CAs have fit into my brain quite well here, too. 

With the US ships, it's a bit different. I have to remember to rethink where I'm aiming at, and it usually requires 2-3 salvos in whatever US ship I'm in to readjust.  But I don't consider that a big deal.

My major problem is with the Russian ships (and the Pan-Asian clones of them), where I have to completely change my playstyle. So much so that I hate them all. And I can't stand DWT, it's a stupid gimmick and really removes most of the fun of DDs.

Edited by EAnybody

Sign in to follow this