You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zuga_01

Gearing

14 comments in this topic

[AFW-]
Members
972 posts

The only thing I dislike about it is slow and big turning radius.

Otherwise nice torp-gun boat. Had to spend 5k doubloon on camo to not lose credits though lol.

serious_sam_feels_good_man_by_doulla-d9m

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,854 posts
5,982 battles

I am on the Fletcher right now. I haven't unlocked the Gearing yet, but I really don't want to get rid of my Fletcher... I know I don't have to sell it, but I don't want to grind out another captain for it...

Is the Gearing worth the upgrade? I have heard its torps aren't as good as the Fletcher's.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
10 minutes ago, OseanTanker said:

Is the Gearing worth the upgrade? I have heard its torps aren't as good as the Fletcher's.

You lose 30 seconds of reload time & a smidge of damage vs. the upgraded Fletcher torps, but you gain 6km of range, a bit more AA, and another gun (with corresponding increase in ROF).  I've only taken her out 15 times, but so far at least I really like Gearing.  Are you splitting your captain between Fletcher & Sims right now?  If not, there's the solution to your captain quandary.

[AXANR]
Members
3,558 posts
21,310 battles
31 minutes ago, OseanTanker said:

I am on the Fletcher right now. I haven't unlocked the Gearing yet, but I really don't want to get rid of my Fletcher... I know I don't have to sell it, but I don't want to grind out another captain for it...

I vastly prefer Fletcher to Gearing, and from what I've seen on the forums so do many other players. Some players prefer the Gearing, but it seems to be a fairly even split. 

Buy the Gearing, keep the Fletcher, and if you decide you like Fletcher better sell the Gearing and get about half your credits back. If you decide you like the Gearing, then you can get another captain for Fletcher and use commander xp to build up to an acceptable captain level instead of grinding from zero. 

Edited by poeticmotion

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,854 posts
5,982 battles
12 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

You lose 30 seconds of reload time & a smidge of damage vs. the upgraded Fletcher torps, but you gain 6km of range, a bit more AA, and another gun (with corresponding increase in ROF).  I've only taken her out 15 times, but so far at least I really like Gearing.  Are you splitting your captain between Fletcher & Sims right now?  If not, there's the solution to your captain quandary.

No, I only have the one DD captain. Heck, he was probably the one that came with my Sims when the game reset to OBT.

Just now, poeticmotion said:

I vastly prefer Fletcher to Gearing, and from what I've seen on the forums so do many other players. Some players prefer the Gearing, but it seems to be a fairly even split. 

Buy the Gearing, keep the Fletcher, and if you decide you like Fletcher better sell the Gearing and get about half your credits back. If you decide you like the Gearing, then you can get another captain and use commander xp to build up to an acceptable captain level instead of grinding from zero. 

I will probably do this. Plus there is the tier X PA DD which is pretty much a Gearing (I believe it was actually an Allen Sumner) if I want something similar.

[AXANR]
Members
3,558 posts
21,310 battles
2 minutes ago, OseanTanker said:

No, I only have the one DD captain. Heck, he was probably the one that came with my Sims when the game reset to OBT.

I will probably do this. Plus there is the tier X PA DD which is pretty much a Gearing (I believe it was actually an Allen Sumner) if I want something similar.

Honestly, try the German DD line. It's criminally underrated (probably because the line was a mess when first released) but I used to be a USN DD main and I have grown to prefer the German DDs in high-tier. Clemson, Farragut, and Fletcher are my rides for tiers 4, 6, and 9, but Z-23 replaced Benson as my main t8 boat and Z-52 straight up bullies Gearings at tier 10. 

Your torps arent as good as the USN ones, and you lose a little bit of ROF, but you get hydro (Z52 hydro is god-mode) and you have better shell arcs so can hit more accurately from farther out. But the playstyle I use for USN and KM DD is similar, the KM DDs just do it a tad better. I prefer Fletcher to Z46, but Z52 makes me quite satisfied with not owning a Gearing. 

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
28 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

You also lose a ton of agility and take far more damage from AP. All in all, I much prefer the Fletcher.

You should never be intentionally using the extra range on Gearing torps, though I have occasionally fired them at a target and had them hit another target I didn't know was there at 14+km.

Fletcher torps are far far better. Hit harder and reload faster.

Fletcher is A+, Gearing is C-.  It's situationally good, mostly in situations you're locked to T10 and can't use the Fletcher.

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
22 hours ago, OseanTanker said:

I have half my US 19 point captains in them - one each.

Both have their place.

Gearing's main weakness is battleship AP hits it hard.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
23,816 battles
22 hours ago, Grizley said:

You also lose a ton of agility and take far more damage from AP. All in all, I much prefer the Fletcher.

You should never be intentionally using the extra range on Gearing torps, though I have occasionally fired them at a target and had them hit another target I didn't know was there at 14+km.

Fletcher torps are far far better. Hit harder and reload faster.

Fletcher is A+, Gearing is C-.  It's situationally good, mostly in situations you're locked to T10 and can't use the Fletcher.

Sounds to me you have to learn how 2 use the Gearing its far better than Fletcher use the 71 knot torps and play it like mini Atlanta

Members
363 posts
9,738 battles

I don't like the fact that I'll take full BB pens even if I'm completely broadside.  Other than that it's a good ship.  I spent all of the free doubloons I've gotten to get the perma camo for it, a very worth decision in my opinion.

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,425 battles
23 hours ago, OseanTanker said:

I'll put it this way, I have both Fletcher and Gearing in permanent camo. The Fletcher has a 19 pt captain and the Gearing has an 18 pt captain.