You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wildcat18

Double click salvo

14 comments in this topic

Members
360 posts

This is for long range shots so keep that in mind. Close range, yeah double click. Just wondering how you all do it. I tried the double click salvo at range and find that if the ship moves all the shells are wasted. What I have been doing that seems to work better for me is... First shot is a ranging shot. Then I fire again, wait a few seconds and fire again, if she moves adjust and fire again and so on. I think it increases my chances of landing rounds instead of double click and miss all shells. What do you guys think?

[THREE]
Members
2,091 posts
10,560 battles

Best advice is to practice with aiming more. The double click salvo gives the target less time to try to angle compared to ripple fire.

[ADAPT]
Members
938 posts
16,048 battles

what type ship you use? what tier? what target you shoot? and there are three type ...for info 

1 . 1 shot 1 click 

2. doublclick  for 1 salvo

3. sequence shot  by keep pressing

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,154 posts
6,607 battles

I always fire in salvos unless I'm not looking at my target or I'm walking fires across a battleship.

But I could aim perfectly well without anything but a dot, I've just gotten the feel of it. Practice over thousands of battles makes the difference here. I know how the ships I'm shooting at feel to drive so can can shoot that 5-10 seconds into the future even against maneuvering targets.

One secret you can use to get more reliable and start honing instinct is to measure by the tick marks on your cross-hair. I think the static version is set for leading a 20 knot ship and the adaptive version is for 30 knots. You match up the time to target with the correct tick and fire. lets say you're leading a broadside New Mexico who appears to be at full steam, you press Alt to see the alternative battle interface (or better, turn it on permanently in settings) right by your aiming circle you get a number, lets say 10.05, this is your time to target (not to be confused with distance to target) you want to place the number 10 tick mark on the center of the New Mex. Then let your guns loose.

This removes the need for a "ranging" shot. Very beneficial as most people start maneuvering if they see someone shooting at them, and if they are already maneuvering the ranging shot becomes largely irrelevant by the time you fire again. In short, it lets you keep the element of surprise. 

The last tip I have is to watch for ships in hard turns, particularly heavy cruisers and battleships. If they are going to be broadside, preemptively aim at the earliest location they will come out as broadside and fire there. Many ships rudders are incapable of correcting fast enough to avoid shots like this. And many more players will stay locked in the hard turn either not realizing you've fired or hoping they out turn your shells. This is how I get most my dev strikes with AP. 

• Cool 2

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles

The ranging shot turns into many ranging shots. If you learn to aim properly you don’t need it. 

Ships maneuver and time is compressed. You shoot a ranging shot and a target changes aspect... you fire your adjusted shot on their original aspect and miss again.

learn how to aim. Fire in series or broadside. 

Profit. 

Edited by Gascan75

Members
360 posts
3 hours ago, Gascan75 said:

The ranging shot turns into many ranging shots. If you learn to aim properly you don’t need it. 

Ships maneuver and time is compressed. You shoot a ranging shot and a target changes aspect... you fire your adjusted shot on their original aspect and miss again.

learn how to aim. Fire in series or broadside. 

Profit. 

Yeah I hear ya, I will have to work on those things. My Wyoming and Kaiser have low hit ratio's at 37 and 42% with average's of 39 and 45k damage and a k/d ratio on both of 12.67. So If I work on aiming better those numbers should go up, Thanks

0 posts

I don't feel like using the energy on doing the whole "ranging shot" thing. I just fire them all whenever I can.

[--K--]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,339 battles

You should learn to improve your aim to the point where you can land at least 1 hit on the first salvo. At higher tiers you will not be given the time to range your shots as good shooting opportunities are fleeting. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
7 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Learn all styles of fire use them when called for Practice Practice Practice

The best way to practice shooting is to play operations. Most human players (at least at lower levels) will just travel in straight lines at the max speed of their ships. The bots, however, are programmed to move at different speeds and to take weird angles, some even wiggle waggle. Also, in operations you have many more ships to shoot at.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
360 posts
3 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

You should learn to improve your aim to the point where you can land at least 1 hit on the first salvo. At higher tiers you will not be given the time to range your shots as good shooting opportunities are fleeting. 

So hitting one shell of a salvo is good? That comes out to just a 10% hit ratio on a ten shell salvo, that's a low ratio no?

Members
360 posts
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The best way to practice shooting is to play operations. Most human players (at least at lower levels) will just travel in straight lines at the max speed of their ships. The bots, however, are programmed to move at different speeds and to take weird angles, some even wiggle waggle. Also, in operations you have many more ships to shoot at.

I am only playing coop right now so all of my targets are bots.

[--K--]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,339 battles

6 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

So hitting one shell of a salvo is good? That comes out to just a 10% hit ratio on a ten shell salvo, that's a low ratio no?

No, your aim is good enough that your 1st salvo gets at least 1 hit; which means your first guess at where to aim is decent enough that in general you can land your shots w/out ranging them. Your hit % should increase with each successive salvo since each salvo you fire should give you more information on how to change your lead angle assuming the target is ailing straight and steady. You should get to the point where for a straight and steady target, that you are confident at centering your first salvo on your target. 

Members
360 posts
7 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

No, your aim is good enough that your 1st salvo gets at least 1 hit; which means your first guess at where to aim is decent enough that in general you can land your shots w/out ranging them. Your hit % should increase with each successive salvo since each salvo you fire should give you more information on how to change your lead angle assuming the target is ailing straight and steady. You should get to the point where for a straight and steady target, that you are confident at centering your first salvo on your target. 

Judging by the hit ratio's in my post a few up from here, should my hit ratio's go up? Reason I am am a little confused is,  me firing one turret at a time gave me a hit ratio's that are above the average for PVE posted by warships.today. If the full salvo way gets more hits than i am all for it. But, I watched a few video's where it say's that firing one turret at a time helps eliminate some of the dispersion factors when compared to full salvo. That is the "huh" part of this for me?