You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

French BB Bretagne - a DD playere's wet dream

30 comments in this topic

Members
2,761 posts
14,876 battles

I just got the Bretagne and I hope this doesn't represent the rest of the French line. All I can say is that if I'm a DD player this ship is a chicken dinner.

It's agonizingly slow acceleration, painfully slow turning time and slow top speed (22.1 knots) and good luck if you ever manage to get past 17-18 knots before having to turn and slow down to a crawl. 

The Pros: The guns seem Ok, AP hits hard but it's a brawler so you need to get up close (wide dispersion) and the chance of ever getting close to anything with this slug is not optimistic to say the least.

In comparison the Iron Duke outperforms the Bretagne by miles. Head to head it's no contest.  WOWS should seriously consider increasing the speed or adding a speed boost consumable. 

As tier 5 BBs go I rate it at the bottom of the pack. 

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,596 posts
13,522 battles

I mean how is that different than any of the other slow T5 BBs? New York, Konig, Iron Duke?

• Cool 1

Members
1,515 posts
7,867 battles

I think with some minor buffs that it will be fine, it feels a bit on the underperforming side right now but not too bad.   I'd say slight buff to its rudder shift or turret traverse, or perhaps buff it's concealment. even with the commander skill and camo it's still 12.8km, that's pretty bleh imo. 

Edited by Hangoverhomey

Members
3,679 posts
8,011 battles
29 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I just got the Bretagne and I hope this doesn't represent the rest of the French line. All I can say is that if I'm a DD player this ship is a chicken dinner.

Which bb isn't dd chicken dinner if you overextend? 

And be rest assured, Normandie is a powerful fast boi.

30 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

It's agonizingly slow acceleration, painfully slow turning time and slow top speed (22.1 knots) and good luck if you ever manage to get past 17-18 knots before having to turn and slow down to a crawl. 

Same with New York and Texas, only slightly worse than Iron Duke and Konig, stop doing full rudder turns unless you are trying to avoid torps. 

34 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

In comparison, the Iron Duke outperforms the Bretagne by miles. Head to head it's no contest.  WOWS should seriously consider increasing the speed or adding a speed boost consumable. 

I fail to see how Iron Duke outperforms Bretagne by miles. The armor is more or less on par, Bretagne has better shell velocity and penetration. And Bretagne's gun arc is superior.

In my opinion, the bottom of the pack belongs to New York and Texas. They have basically the same guns, same sluggishness, with a suit of armor that gets overmatched by same tier battleships at all angles, vulnerable to all HE shells larger than 4 inchers.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,289 posts
22,304 battles

IMO French BB Line is like the RN CL Line.  They're Late Bloomers.  RN CLs don't start getting good until Tier VI.  French BBs don't start getting good until Tier VII.  If you don't have the fortunate to get Lyon at VII yet from the boxes, be patient, it's not grueling to grind to Tier VII.  When you get there, you finally have a BB that can't do much anything well but roll the dice 16 times to solve yer problems.

Also, Bretagne being "teh suck" or mediocre at Tier V is nothing new.  Tier V BBs is a horrible spot to be in unless you're sailing a Caesar.  The rest are garbage.

24 minutes ago, pikohan said:

I mean how is that different than any of the other slow T5 BBs? New York, Konig, Iron Duke?

Tier VI Normandie and Tier VII Lyon have worse armor than Tier V Bretagne.  Bretagne has worse armor than New York.  Think about that.

The saving grace is Normandie can sail FAST.  Lyon has 16 dice to throw.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BOATC]
Members
381 posts
10,827 battles

So far Normandie has been pretty fine for me. Obviously if I'd seen more t8 ships that'd change quickly, but there's no T6 BB I'd want to take into a heavy T8 match in the first place.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,933 posts
13,345 battles

Brestagane is okay, and thats about it... it does have accurate guns, but the Pen is pretty meh, its a T5 BB and I rate it above the NY, but thats because I haven't played the NY in some time.  TX has the AA so that helps.

[O_O]
Members
6,228 posts
14,416 battles

My son is home on military leave after an overseas deployment.  He plays WoWS a little but was only up to T5.  Since he brought a nice laptop we divisioned up and I was upping my T5 game count.

I played a few games with Giulio Cesare, then played Bretagne when I finished the personal mission for it.

Playing the two back-to-back was very...interesting.  Both T5, but HOLY CRAP what a difference!!!  Bretagne is garbage in comparison.  Cesare being better wasn't the shocker...the degree of better was a bit surprising, however.  More like T4 vs T6.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
25,289 posts
22,304 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

My son is home on military leave after an overseas deployment.  He plays WoWS a little but was only up to T5.  Since he brought a nice laptop we divisioned up and I was upping my T5 game count.

I played a few games with Giulio Cesare, then played Bretagne when I finished the personal mission for it.

Playing the two back-to-back was very...interesting.  Both T5, but HOLY CRAP what a difference!!!  Bretagne is garbage in comparison.  Cesare being better wasn't the shocker...the degree of better was a bit surprising, however.  More like T4 vs T6.

Tier V is a terrible spot in MM but Caesar is so broken that lots of people bought her up despite that.  I even got her, and I hate Tier V.  She's just broken.  Outside Ceasar, Texas and the Tech Tree Tier V BBs are balanced with each other.  But Caesar s--ts on that, and still does decently in a Tier VI-VII match.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

Did you have to employ that terminology? Eww. 

I don't feel like the Bretagne is any less prepared to fight off a destroyer than any other mid tier American battleship. 

Members
2,761 posts
14,876 battles
1 hour ago, pikohan said:

I play Texas, Iron Duke regularly and played the rest too. The big difference is in the acceleration. It takes a minute and three seconds to reach top speed. The combo of this with slow turrets and reload makes this thing a dog.

After I saw some of your posts I decided to play Iron Dulke three and Texas each three times. I then took Bretagne out again and there's no comparison. The other two can hold their own in up tiered battles. This slug got [edited] each time. 

I don't think it's one thing but a combo of many slow features.  If you are doing full speed in one direction and firing in that direction the entire battle perhaps it's not too bad

[THREE]
Members
2,092 posts
10,566 battles
18 minutes ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

Did you have to employ that terminology? Eww. 

I don't feel like the Bretagne is any less prepared to fight off a destroyer than any other mid tier American battleship. 

I would have to know the warhead timer to stat this as fact, but I do believe the smaller caliber shells of the French line are more likely to detonate on an angled DD then the USN or IJN.

Members
2,761 posts
14,876 battles
1 hour ago, The_first_harbinger said:

I fail to see how Iron Duke outperforms Bretagne by miles. The armor is more or less on par, Bretagne has better shell velocity and penetration. And Bretagne's gun arc is superior.

In my opinion, the bottom of the pack belongs to New York and Texas. They have basically the same guns, same sluggishness, with a suit of armor that gets overmatched by same tier battleships at all angles, vulnerable to all HE shells larger than 4 inchers.

Simple.... Get a training room and invite me to play Iron Duke against your Bertagne and I'll show you. I don't trust the stats. I play Iron Duke often. It accelerates and handles much better. I can slow it down and turn it without effort. Try doing the same with Bertagne...it's agonizingly painful.  I'll play you one on one and I'll make French Toast of your BB and I'm almost certain my Iron Duke will walk away with at least 50% of her HP

• Cool 1

Members
3,679 posts
8,011 battles
6 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Simple.... Get a training room and invite me to play Iron Duke against your Bertagne and I'll show you. I don't trust the stats. I play Iron Duke often. It accelerates and handles much better. I can slow it down and turn it without effort. Try doing the same with Bertagne...it's agonizingly painful.  I'll play you one on one and I'll make French Toast of your BB and I'm almost certain my Iron Duke will walk away with at least 50% of her HP

I always like a good duel, although I have a suspicion that a copious amount of kiting and HE will come my way...

See if you can meet me when I'm online, you will find this delicate piece of morsel quite capable of fighting back.

Members
2,761 posts
14,876 battles
8 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

I always like a good duel, although I have a suspicion that a copious amount of kiting and HE will come my way...

See if you can meet me when I'm online, you will find this delicate piece of morsel quite capable of fighting back.

It's a Iron Duke verses Bretagne challenge. Create a training room and send me a message. I'll bring the butter 
I'll even fight you with Orion!

Edited by STINKWEED_

Members
3,679 posts
8,011 battles
6 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

It's a Iron Duke verses Bretagne challenge. Create a training room and send me a message. I'll bring the butter 
I'll even fight you with Orion!

Orion is almost identical with Iron Duke in all regards that mattered in a bb duel...

But still... I think you underestimate me. Let's hope it will not cost you the victory.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
3,781 posts
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

The Pros: The guns seem Ok, AP hits hard but it's a brawler so you need to get up close (wide dispersion) and the chance of ever getting close to anything with this slug is not optimistic to say the least.

In comparison the Iron Duke outperforms the Bretagne by miles. Head to head it's no contest.  WOWS should seriously consider increasing the speed or adding a speed boost consumable. 

Worse than New York?   Not sure that's possible  :Smile_amazed::Smile_facepalm:

Members
2,761 posts
14,876 battles
13 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Orion is almost identical with Iron Duke in all regards that mattered in a bb duel...

But still... I think you underestimate me. Let's hope it will not cost you the victory.

It would be nice to play a few rounds to see which of these BBs (French or RN) is better. I think it's no contest but "I gots to know"

Supertester
1,585 posts
16 battles
2 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Which bb isn't dd chicken dinner if you overextend? 

And be rest assured, Normandie is a powerful fast boi.

Same with New York and Texas, only slightly worse than Iron Duke and Konig, stop doing full rudder turns unless you are trying to avoid torps. 

*mumbles in NDA*

Members
3,679 posts
8,011 battles

@Cpt_Cupcake We did a 2 out of 3

First match:

5a850597341fd_ScreenShot2018-02-14at22_41_24.thumb.png.a09585f5ddc7bc9c73551cae5b8157c6.png5a8505c47767a_ScreenShot2018-02-14at22_41_59.thumb.png.a370ae90740cc431ed65cc4f8c2061fb.png

A long-range shootout lasted for 12 minutes. At long range, Iron Duke's inconsistent HE accuracy proved to be insufficient to deal sustained damage to bypass damage control and damage repair party, while Bretagne scored more hits with AP that are less impactful shell per shell, but en mass caused superior damage. It is worth noting that the superior ballistics of Bretagne's AP shell contributed a lot.

Second match:

5a85069f518b5_ScreenShot2018-02-14at22_54_20.thumb.png.9d794a9f72f8e62da5f3e3306310b8d8.png5a8506ba2e133_ScreenShot2018-02-14at22_54_14.thumb.png.21518fabb91bd6ba3ba7b284d367aa39.png

A close, swift range brawl occurred and the results were neck'n'neck. At close range, Iron Duke's superior HE shell consistent damage revealed its full potential, making Bretagne's vulnerable armor, damage control and damage repair unable to keep up. Yet HE shells' inability to penetrate citadels and Bretagne's fast responsive turret eventually spelled Iron Duke's defeat.

Conclusion:

Bretagne is not a weak ship. Not at all. And seems to be very good at a long-range shootout.

Spoiler

VIVE LA FRANCE

Edited by The_first_harbinger
  • Funny 1

[THREE]
Members
2,092 posts
10,566 battles

@The_first_harbinger and @STINKWEED_

Did you guys just use AP for Bret and HE for the ID exclusively? If so, try it again with the Iron Duke using AP.

And thank you for providing the pictures, hopefully Stinkweed's pride has survived.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
grammar