You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

Cats at Sea: A Tale of Fur-bidden Love... but In real life

12 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

The post on WG's page today was not what I thought it would be...

Author Frederick Stonehouse explains....

"     The very word "cat" has a negative connotation on board a vessel. The cat-o-nine-tails was, of course, a notoriously violent whip used as punishment on salt-water vessels. Additionally, much of the gear involved in raising the anchor, a difficult and unpleasant task, used "cat" nomenclature. The cat head, cat fall, cat block, cat tackle, cat harping, cat back and cat davit all meant hard work. A cat hole was thought fit only to be used by passengers and too lubberly for real sailors. Even an unsatisfactory rest was called a cat nap.

Little wonder then, that cats, black or otherwise, have always been considered bad luck on lake vessels and were thought to be "breeders" of bad weather. They were never a ship's mascot. If one was found aboard, it was always considered someone's, but never the ship's. 

There are many examples of problems supposedly caused by cats. The wife of the captain of the schooner John B. Merrill carried a black kitten aboard the schooner just as the vessel was leaving its pier in Buffalo. The cat suddenly bolted, jumping a gap of four to five feet to reach the dock. The crew thought bad luck would surely follow. If the cat left, Lord knows what evil luck would befall them. Later the schooner wrecked near Detour, Michigan. Again, the cat was blamed. When the schooner's superstitious owner finally heard the story, he told the captain he should have stopped the boat and notified him so more insurance could have been obtained."

There you have it! Happy Valentine's day everybody!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
4,302 posts

I am disappointed in your post, OP, I must confess. Cats have a proud history onboard naval vessels, including in time period of this game. I made a post on this topic (catfaced), I'll try and link it for you/ But google Unsinkable Sam for a tale of goodluck.

Indeed, cats have a very positive connotation for naval vessels, to the point that even her Majesty's most recent warships are known to invent virtual robotic moggies to compensate the current ban on pets on board.

The only scandal is that Wargaming's first ship's cat was an anime monstrosity 'skin', that its second, if at least more heartwarming, is also a cartoon, given the wealth of historical examples of cats serving on board ships.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/149035-catfaced/

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
7 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

I am disappointed in your post, OP, I must confess. Cats have a proud history onboard naval vessels, including in time period of this game. I made a post on this topic (catfaced), I'll try and link it for you/ But google Unsinkable Sam for a tale of goodluck.

Indeed, cats have a very positive connotation for naval vessels, to the point that even her Majesty's most recent warships are known to invent virtual robotic moggies to compensate the current ban on pets on board.

The only scandal is that Wargaming's first ship's cat was an anime monstrosity 'skin', that its second, if at least more heartwarming, is also a cartoon, given the wealth of historical examples of cats serving on board ships.

Unsinkable Sam is a tale of good luck??? Every ship the cat was on sank. 

Another reason for not wanting cats on board is that cats eat mice. Having mice on a ship is a good thing because mice will leave an unseaworthy ship. There are many tales of crews escaping disaster because they abandoned ship when they saw that the rats were leaving.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,342 posts
13,879 battles
6 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/149035-catfaced/

The culture that developed on the inland seas that the Great Lakes was/is very different from what developed at sea.

Members
4,302 posts
5 minutes ago, dseehafer said:

this feliniphobia is disturbing, and unexpected. how can I be asking you of all people to do a little research on the topic of brave cats on board ships, hell even Winston Churchill decorated a cat, I have a photo of the medal ceremony... (edit : or is the cat decorating Churchill?)

d805edfade7e8b7e6806160575739dbe.jpg

What more proof do you need? 

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The culture that developed on the inland seas that the Great Lakes was/is very different from what developed at sea.

^ Also true.

Beta Testers
47 posts
2,396 battles

Cats are such good luck, that any ship they're on can be easily refloated and returned to service. Every time I've sunk in WoWS, my ships get refloated. I can only attribute that to being a cat. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,644 posts
4,602 battles

If it's good enough for Winston, it's good enough for me. 

Members
4,302 posts
16 minutes ago, dseehafer said:

Good luck for the RN that Sam was onboard Bismarck when it sank!

besides, I have irrefutable objective entirely factual unibiased proof that DOGS are bad luck for ships.

"The Black Dog of Lake Erie

This creepy story takes place in the Welland Canal, where a ship’s mascot—a large black Newfoundland dog—fell overboard and was crushed by the gate of a canal lock. Perhaps angered by the crew’s inability or unwillingness to rescue him, the black dog was then said to haunt them at night with endless baying howls. The black dog is said to appear on ships that are about to get into trouble, appearing on deck (or climbing aboard from the water), crossing the ship and leaping off the other side. The dog is linked to the wreck of the Mary Jane in Lake Erie in 1881, and has even travelled to other Great Lakes, being sighted on doomed ships on both Lake "

https://cottagelife.com/outdoors/6-spooky-mysteries-of-the-great-lakes/

(highly respected source, ofc)

Who'd a thought, dogs????

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
Just now, nuttybiscuit said:

Good luck for the RN that Sam was onboard Bismarck when it sank!

besides, I have irrefutable objective entirely factual unibiased proof that DOGS are bad luck for ships.

"The Black Dog of Lake Erie

This creepy story takes place in the Welland Canal, where a ship’s mascot—a large black Newfoundland dog—fell overboard and was crushed by the gate of a canal lock. Perhaps angered by the crew’s inability or unwillingness to rescue him, the black dog was then said to haunt them at night with endless baying howls. The black dog is said to appear on ships that are about to get into trouble, appearing on deck (or climbing aboard from the water), crossing the ship and leaping off the other side. The dog is linked to the wreck of the Mary Jane in Lake Erie in 1881, and has even travelled to other Great Lakes, being sighted on doomed ships on both Lake "

https://cottagelife.com/outdoors/6-spooky-mysteries-of-the-great-lakes/

(highly respected source, ofc)

Who'd a thought, dogs????

Stonehouse also writes about the black dog of Lake Erie is his books.

Members
4,302 posts
7 minutes ago, dseehafer said:

Stonehouse also writes about the black dog of Lake Erie is his books.

also, to contrast Stonehouse's primitive beliefs, "

1. It was believed if a cat was thrown, or even fell overboard, the four-legged creature would be revenged by the rapid approach of a terrible storm and nine years of bad luck for the ship and the crew. Throwing a black cat overboard would be sure to incite the devil’s wrath!"
  2. On board the SS Great Britain, pet cats were strictly confined to the ship’s kennel quarters but many passengers could not bear being parted with their feline companions. There are many reports of the furry creatures wandering freely around the huge ship; passenger Mother Mary Paul Mulquin’s diary entry from 1873 noted “we were awakened from our nightly slumber by a strange cat, who came quite uninvited and continues his attentions ever since”. While a letter dated 1875 from Anna-Maria Georgina Bright reveals her son Charlie was mad for the little kitten found in the family’s berth.
  3. A cat sneezing indicated mild rain while frisky behaviour meant the crew could look forward to billowing sails and a smooth passage. But any unnatural action by the ship’s cat, such as licking its fur in the wrong direction, was a sign storms were expected.
  4. On the whole it was extremely useful and lucky to have a cat on board a ship!

Keep a look out for our resident ship’s cat, Izzy, who you might spot walking around the Great Western Dockyard on your visit."http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/about-us/blog/ships-cats

also just spotted this on amazon, in case anyone interested : https://www.amazon.com/Ships-Cats-War-Peace-Lewis/dp/0953045811

Members
2,842 posts
8,739 battles

Captain Ghostdog and Ensign Lester have pet belly dancer on board the BB Dogpound. We haven't been haunted by dead cats or dogs since she came aboard.

th?id=OIP.RtGeszUb-yjGTAhAJ1YJnwHaHu&pidth?id=OIP.A-cI-hzI3n_t9ZBLMImLZgHaD4&pid                                      th?id=OIP.FAI821PlmS6rGczkBiZhTQHaKW&pid