Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

Wargaming needs to have a sit-down with Paypal

26 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

So, last week my bank decided to issue new debit cards. Last night, I attempted to make my first Wargaming transaction through Paypal since the change, and it was flagged as fraud. Yippie.

The problem is, despite purchasing through Paypal, all of Wargaming's transactions show up as being debited through Cyprus. This is atypical - the vast majority of Paypal transactions appear as going through Paypal's corporate offices in San Jose, CA. But, for whatever reason, Wargaming is the exception to the rule - the transactions appear to bank cards in the same manner as if I had punched in my debit card information directly (something I, frankly, wouldn't do). 

This is the second time I have run into this problem with a bank, and it seems to me that it is going to be an increasing issue going down the road. Cyprus is a known hotbed of fraud, terrorist slush funds, Russian hacking proxies, etc., so it's no shock that banks don't want to do business with companies based there. The fact that my bank previously allowed transactions and has now decided to cease them should be an indicator of things to come. The problem, clearly, has something to do with the way that Wargaming has structured their payment interactions with Paypal; if they were showing up on statements as going through San Jose, no bank would bat an eye. But, as it stands, I can't continue to buy things from this company until they alter that structure, and I have distinct feeling that more and more Americans will face the same prospect moving forward. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,252 posts
12,100 battles

I've not had any issues with Paypal and Wargaming.  In fact, I purchased Aigle yesterday, with no issues.  Could this be something specific to your bank and not to paypal?

[G-REB]
[G-REB]
Beta Testers
63 posts
4,178 battles

Pretty sure Cyprus is where WG is headquartered for tax purposes.  Also they are probably not going through San Jose anymore since that office is closing I thought I read.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
7 minutes ago, WKMitchell said:

Pretty sure Cyprus is where WG is headquartered for tax purposes.  Also they are probably not going through San Jose anymore since that office is closing I thought I read.

Well, San Jose is where Paypal is located - that's the problem here. Generally speaking, all Paypal transactions - whether you are buying from Ebay or Amazon or whatever - go through the Paypal offices, and then they pay the retailer separately. But for whatever reason Wargaming's Paypal transactions don't do this - they appear to card companies as having gone through Cyprus - as if Paypal wasn't the middle man in the transaction at all.

And it's not exclusive to my bank - because I've previously had this issue with another bank: the same problem - the bank wouldn't approve the charges because they appeared on the account as if I were attempting to use my debit card to directly pay a corporation in Cyprus. So while it does come down to how banks view that Cyprus transaction, the reason that it appears as Cyprus is because of some arrangement that Wargaming and Paypal have regarding how the money is handled between them.

[GT99]
Members
716 posts
11,126 battles

I can't use PayPal either, the weird thing is my wife can buy stuff from all over the world with it. WG=nope, Rest of world=no problem.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
Just now, T1mb3rWo1f said:

I can't use PayPal either, the weird thing is my wife can buy stuff from all over the world with it. WG=nope, Rest of world=no problem.

Because, again, the Paypal 'handshake' generally registers as occurring on American soil, even if you buy overseas. This is, honestly, a large part of the reason to use Paypal - they assume the risk and not you. I'm not sure why ore how Wargaming has a different arrangement with them, but it defeats the purpose entirely.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,601 posts
4,602 battles

Solution:  Transfer money from your bank to create a Paypal balance.  Then pay from the balance.  Your bank never sees the transaction.

[GT99]
Members
716 posts
11,126 battles

It doesn't even show up on the PayPal activity page like PayPal never saw the attempt. I have to use Amazon Paywall for purchases here.

[GT99]
Members
716 posts
11,126 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Solution:  Transfer money from your bank to create a Paypal balance.  Then pay from the balance.  Your bank never sees the transaction.

Why is it only with WG though? Like I said my wife uses it constantly buying things outside the US, [edited] near every continent and mixture of several countries.

Beta Testers
226 posts
5,252 battles

I had problems and a possible stolen card from my scharnhorst purchase when it came out. Since then I never put my card on paypal but load up the paypal balance from my phone through CVS. Probably the best thing I've done for it. Sure I have to drive an extra block but the added security to my card significantly out weighs it. I would recommend doing that if you have a smartphone.

Members
3,302 posts
6,674 battles

I have used PPal thru the whole almost 3 years on WOW without a hitch.  Okay one time it took time as something slowed down but only once.  

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,322 battles

I have the same problem with some debit transactions.  If WG is going to sell in NA, they need to have local handling of our transactions so you can use flexible forms of payment.  The lure to manage corporate tax rates will prevent that from happening, though...

[PVE]
Members
1,709 posts
7,785 battles
1 hour ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

So, last week my bank decided to issue new debit cards. Last night, I attempted to make my first Wargaming transaction through Paypal since the change, and it was flagged as fraud. Yippie.

The problem is, despite purchasing through Paypal, all of Wargaming's transactions show up as being debited through Cyprus. This is atypical - the vast majority of Paypal transactions appear as going through Paypal's corporate offices in San Jose, CA. But, for whatever reason, Wargaming is the exception to the rule - the transactions appear to bank cards in the same manner as if I had punched in my debit card information directly (something I, frankly, wouldn't do). 

This is the second time I have run into this problem with a bank, and it seems to me that it is going to be an increasing issue going down the road. Cyprus is a known hotbed of fraud, terrorist slush funds, Russian hacking proxies, etc., so it's no shock that banks don't want to do business with companies based there. The fact that my bank previously allowed transactions and has now decided to cease them should be an indicator of things to come. The problem, clearly, has something to do with the way that Wargaming has structured their payment interactions with Paypal; if they were showing up on statements as going through San Jose, no bank would bat an eye. But, as it stands, I can't continue to buy things from this company until they alter that structure, and I have distinct feeling that more and more Americans will face the same prospect moving forward. 

41 minutes ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

In a sense, PayPal is not the problem and the difficulty associated with purchasing things from WG through PayPal can be rectified very easily.

I too had a problem a couple of years back, it let me purchase a few items from the Premium shop and then froze me out, in other words the transactions were not completed, it was yes, because of the location where WG is located and PayPal was simply in their thinking...protecting me, their customer.  A simple phone call into PayPal and a conversation with one of their representatives took care of the problem, once they confirmed that I was actually making the purchases and as often as I was making them, they lifted the hold and I have never had another single issue.  Would suggest that you do the same, call them, explain the issue you are having and then see if it is resolved or not.  Good luck!

• Cool 1

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

I believe you need to be having a discussion with your bank about flagging these transactions. The responsibility is not with WG or PayPal. My GF's credit card gets flagged if she goes to the US (from Canada) yet for some reason I can use an ATM in a back alley shop in Cairo and my bank is like, "whatever looks legit".

• Cool 1

[GT99]
Members
716 posts
11,126 battles
24 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

In a sense, PayPal is not the problem and the difficulty associated with purchasing things from WG through PayPal can be rectified very easily.

I too had a problem a couple of years back, it let me purchase a few items from the Premium shop and then froze me out, in other words the transactions were not completed, it was yes, because of the location where WG is located and PayPal was simply in their thinking...protecting me, their customer.  A simple phone call into PayPal and a conversation with one of their representatives took care of the problem, once they confirmed that I was actually making the purchases and as often as I was making them, they lifted the hold and I have never had another single issue.  Would suggest that you do the same, call them, explain the issue you are having and then see if it is resolved or not.  Good luck!

10 minutes ago, Jiggiwatt said:

I believe you need to be having a discussion with your bank about flagging these transactions. The responsibility is not with WG or PayPal. My GF's credit card gets flagged if she goes to the US (from Canada) yet for some reason I can use an ATM in a back alley shop in Cairo and my bank is like, "whatever looks legit".

it will get figured out and thanks to all the suggestions from everybody in this thread. :cap_like:

Members
59 posts

A bank... who uses a bank? Furthermore... who puts their banking info online? Anyway, don't know where you live. But here in the U.S. you can use the PayPal App on your phone or tablet to add money to PayPal. Take the phone/tablet, and the virtual receipt you get from the app, plus the cash, go to a store that allows it (such at 7-11), and within 15 minutes you have cash on PayPal... sure, it takes a few minutes to do, but will save you hassle down the line when you run into issues like this. https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ppcash

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,714 posts
12,258 battles
4 minutes ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

People with paychecks. You know - grownups. 

You mean you don't get paid in cash? :Smile-_tongue:

[DFNT]
Members
189 posts
4,582 battles

Do you have your debit card number with PayPal or your bank account number? These are seen as two different types of transactions by the bank. Debit card transactions are more likely to be linked to fraud. 

Either way, I use a CC or CVS gift cards. Having my bank account linked to a company in Cyprus, even through PayPal, seems too risky. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,088 posts
15,131 battles
2 minutes ago, RedBarchetta3 said:

Do you have your debit card number with PayPal or your bank account number? These are seen as two different types of transactions by the bank. Debit card transactions are more likely to be linked to fraud. 

Either way, I use a CC or CVS gift cards. Having my bank account linked to a company in Cyprus, even through PayPal, seems too risky. 

This^^ Been using Paypay with WG since WOT closed Beta. No issue. Pay pal has my bank account not my debit card.

Members
59 posts

People with paychecks. You know - grownups. 

Oh really? Or you mean... people who want to lose all of their money to multi-billionaire corporations and the inevitable fall of the dollar? No, "Grown Ups" will take their spare money and invest in things like gold... not digital numbers that can disappear in an instant. 

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
1 hour ago, WickedRecluse said:

Oh really? Or you mean... people who want to lose all of their money to multi-billionaire corporations and the inevitable fall of the dollar? No, "Grown Ups" will take their spare money and invest in things like gold... not digital numbers that can disappear in an instant. 

Uh huh. Well if society falls, I'll be eager to see you attempting to peddle your yellow rocks for food and water. That should be amusing.

• Funny 1

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,305 posts
11,759 battles

Sounds like more of an issue with your bank, not WG. I have made tons of purchases to WG over almost 8 years using paypal with 0 issues.

Sign in to follow this