You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capitan_Crunch

Longer torpedoes ranges so longer range radar and secondaries next?

53 comments in this topic

[VVVVV]
[VVVVV]
Members
75 posts
8,651 battles

So the longer range tops that are out and more being worked on WILL NOT stop the camping meta off BB'S but make it worse. BBs have there main guns that's pretty much it, secondaries no where near the range they should be at and as inaccurate as ........ So when they getting a buff?  I am not a main of anything I play cruisers dds and bbs but this stupid long range torpedoe spam needs to stop.

• Cool 6
  • Meh 5

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
8,047 battles
Just now, Capitan_Crunch said:

Long range Torp attacks work for 2 reasons;

1. Everyone is camping so they are standing still and nobody is spotting the torps until it is too late.

2. Everyone continues to sail in straight lines despite obvious indicators there are DDs around.

Radar and secondaries don't need a buff. You can't buff dumb players.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,638 battles

Hasn't Shima always had 20 km torps?  I'm not a DD person, but Asashio isn't really getting anything new, just a heavily nerfed version of something that's been in game for years.

Knee jerk reactions are bad on the knees.  Cartilage damage is almost guaranteed.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
8,047 battles
Just now, Hatework said:

Hasn't Shima always had 20 km torps?

Yah and they used too be faster with a much smaller detection range, and even then if you use the 12 KM ones the old Shim starts to come back to life.

• Cool 1

Members
433 posts
14 minutes ago, Capitan_Crunch said:

So the longer range tops that are out and more being worked on WILL NOT stop the camping meta off BB'S but make it worse. BBs have there main guns that's pretty much it, secondaries no where near the range they should be at and as inaccurate as ........ So when they getting a buff?  I am not a main of anything I play cruisers dds and bbs but this stupid long range torpedoe spam needs to stop.

tbh they should remove the nerfs to the IJN destroyers as a whole.

The main point is: if you're getting long-bombed by 10+ km torps, that's a player problem. WG does not need to make any changes to the game for something like that.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Asashio is awesome for breaking up this campfest. Usually when you're detected and there's nothing around, you know a DD is close, but since the torpedoes have such long range it's much harder to pin it down.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-SCL-]
Beta Testers
903 posts
8,366 battles

Sorry OP, but long range torpedoes have always been in the game.

Shima 20km torp range

Gearing 16km torp range

• Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

First, I need the OP to explain to me why battleships need every possible tool necessary to counter the thing that's supposed to counter them.

Do cruisers need heavier armor so they can reliably bounce battleship artillery?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
3 minutes ago, Stampz said:

Sorry OP, but long range torpedoes have always been in the game.

Shima 20km torp range

Gearing 16km torp range

Technically true but the 20km torps are slow and spotted from space.  As for the 16km, nearly all of them run TA so they're significantly shorter range.  

In most cases there is no good reason to be bombing torps from 15+ km, really dropping from outside 10km it's not ideal.  That extra little bit of range on the Fletcher torps is just good for hitting runners.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,643 posts
7,015 battles

Seems to me the reason they are giving the Asashio such long ranged torps is because of radar and hydro, not to mention that the intended targets of these weapons stay far behind their teammates. So, no reason to give longer range to the systems that are already so long ranged that these torps were needed in the first place.

Also, remember that 20 km torps can't be used as freely as other torps due to the much higher chance of missed torps threatening your own team. The advantage has its own disadvantage built in.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, Jakob_Knight said:

Also, remember that 20 km torps can't be used as freely as other torps due to the much higher chance of missed torps threatening your own team. The advantage has its own disadvantage built in.

Also things it can't hit chancing across them and perma-revealing them for the rest of their run. Cruisers, destroyers, aircraft can all do this to Asashio's 20kms and it remains asinine.

• Boring 1

[--K--]
Members
5,332 posts
16,779 battles

I think that starting at T7 Destroyers should have torpedoes with longer ranges than Radar Ships they face. 

As for Secondaries I think all ships need their drunk gunners buffed. Buff their range to be around 6.5k and increase their reload. Now to be clear I'm not advocating for any buffs to the German BB line, its the other BBs that need help. Seeing the secondaries of my Scharnhorst or Tirpitz light up is pure joy and its one of the reason I like taking my BBs into secondary range just to watch the show. But than I play other BBs who seem to have lots of barrels on the side of the ship only to learn they don't have any range and if you get a ship in range the reload on those guns is pitiful. I don't even care if the secondary guns can't hit the side of a Titanic, I just want them to be belching flames. Secondary Guns are epic and every BB should have Epic Secondaries but maybe not the range of the Germans lol. 

• Cool 2

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,532 battles
2 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Also things it can't hit chancing across them and perma-revealing them for the rest of their run. Cruisers, destroyers, aircraft can all do this to Asashio's 20kms and it remains asinine.

Exactly.  In the test videos of it, nearly every target that was hit by Asashio's torps would have been hit by torps from any other DD.  The only exception really was I think in Flamu's video where he hit two Yamatos at the back line early in the match.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,532 battles
Just now, RedSeaBear said:

I think that starting at T7 Destroyers should have torpedoes with longer ranges than Radar Ships they face. 

As for Secondaries I think all ships need their drunk gunners buffed. Buff their range to be around 6.5k and increase their reload. Now to be clear I'm not advocating for any buffs to the German BB line, its the other BBs that need help. Seeing the secondaries of my Scharnhorst or Tirpitz light up is pure joy and its one of the reason I like taking my BBs into secondary range just to watch the show. But than I play other BBs who seem to have lots of barrels on the side of the ship only to learn they don't have any range and if you get a ship in range the reload on those guns is pitiful. I don't even care if the secondary guns can't hit the side of a Titanic, I just want them to be belching flames. Secondary Guns are epic and every BB should have Epic Secondaries but maybe not the range of the Germans lol. 

I think if they tightened up the base dispersion of secondaries by around 10-15%, then it would help without being too much of an increase.  As they are right now you're pretty lucky to get more than a couple hits on a broadside BB at medium ranges with them without manual secondaries.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,116 posts
7,239 battles
17 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

Also, remember that 20 km torps can't be used as freely as other torps due to the much higher chance of missed torps threatening your own team. The advantage has its own disadvantage built in.

Lol the word you're looking for is shouldn't. 

Can't, and especially won't, certainly don't belong there. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,624 posts
19,327 battles
58 minutes ago, Capitan_Crunch said:

You do not understand what torpedo spam REALLY is...

Days of old, 1 ship could launch 40 20km torps....

Shima 20 km torps under 1 km detection range....

The true torpedo boat line has been nerfed so many times that they are mostly innefective. 

BTW, my Bizmark secondaries shoot further than most torpedoes. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[VVVVV]
[VVVVV]
Members
75 posts
8,651 battles

As I said I play all classes as a dd is there too much radar and being blam

pped by BB at long range should be addressed answer yes,as a cruiser are they to squishy and deleted to easily answer yes,do dds need to be balanced as in one team gets 1 the other gets 2 answer is yes do alot of Bb's camp in the back yes, but it's the longe range torpedo soup for alot of them that make them do this I adm am  pusher maybe a tad too aggressive but Bb's really have just guns not including torpedo equipped Bb's ,so when cruiser and destroyers have high rof guns and torps so why not give the bb's longer ranged secondaries that they should have anyways HELL take away from there max range on main guns doesn't bother me can sure tell alot of dd scrubs don't like this post but high tier gameplay needs to be fixed or just remove tier 9 and 10 completely. 

Edited by Capitan_Crunch
  • Cool 1

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,643 posts
7,015 battles
57 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

You do not understand what torpedo spam REALLY is...

Shima 20 km torps under 1 km detection range....

The true torpedo boat line has been nerfed so many times that they are mostly innefective. 

BTW, my Bizmark secondaries shoot further than most torpedoes. 

Actually, the Kitakami's torpedoes only had a range of 10 km, even in Beta. That's what made the ship so bad. If they ran 20 km, she would have ruled the sea instead of being a decoration on its bottom at the end of most battles.

Edited by Jakob_Knight
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
57 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

If you're talking about Kitakami, the longest range torpedoes she ever had were 10km. Kitakami never had the 20kms.

And note she had a 12km detection range.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
5,808 posts

When people talk about 'weapon spam' I tend to look at the results/stats.

At tiers V-X, on average, DDs sit at the bottom of the pile for damage with the hit rate for torps being roughly 6-10% (in fact 2 BBs sit in the top 3 for the all time torpedo hit rate - you know, beating the DDs that were so OP that they had to be removed from game!).

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

if you are hit by torps that takes over a min to travel,  that is all on you.  very simple. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[R-F]
Members
1,770 posts
10,239 battles

If I hit you from more than 12 km with my torpedoes, frankly it's your fault.  It means you're being so predictable that I was able to guess where you'd be nearly a minute in advance.  At that range, if you modify your speed or your heading by just a little bit, those torps that were aimed at you won't come anywhere near you.  Give it a try sometimes.

With that said I do now and then hit a target that I didn't even know was there at the tail end of Gearing's 16 km torps.  That's always fun.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,643 posts
7,015 battles

What will be interesting with these torpedoes is that Cruisers will have to let them hit if they want to identify if they are ones that can kill them or not.

Will make deep water torps a game of poker. Do you feel lucky?

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles

The "deep-deep" water torps being fiddled with for the Asashio are interesting in that its a DD that wont have to be out in front to launch these long range torps.  The range of these  things isn't so much the issue.  We've already got a couple DDs with similar sorts of torp ranges.   I think it's the ability to sit in the second line and torp without going pink from hitting all those friendly cruisers and DDs that are up-front on the pointy end of the spear.  

I see a ship that will result in a very different approach to DD tactics relative to typical DDs.  For this reason, I'm not sure I'm particularly keen on this deep-deep torpedo thingy. 

The other issue is its a premium.  Although I supposes its unclear at the moment if it will be a buy-able premium or a reward prem.  So there's the potential issue of letting a genie out of the bottle that can't be undone since  -- with a handful of notable exceptions -- WG has kind of had a long running policy of not changing buyable Premiums in WoT and WoWs once they have released.          

Edited by Dr_Dirt
  • Boring 1