Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LostEngineer

Radar and Destroyer concept

9 comments in this topic

Members
70 posts
1,257 battles

So I'm on a Hornfischer binge right now, and im trying to figure out a way to suggest reworking radar to make it kinder to destroyers and more realistic.

1940's era search radar was pretty crude, it didn't just magically illuminate a target (gun director radar is a different manner) 

Instead of a 1 key stealth destroying feature, maybe the key gives range and bearing to a target? (Displayed similar to the torpedo auto target)  This would better reflect the tech at the time, allow the player to blind fire into the right neighborhood and give destroyers better odds.  What do you suggest?

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
7 minutes ago, LostEngineer said:

So I'm on a Hornfischer binge right now, and im trying to figure out a way to suggest reworking radar to make it kinder to destroyers and more realistic.

It's a hard counter to DD's. It's not supposed to be kind. Why is that so hard to understand? Avoid, actively avoid CA's that can be carrying radar. That is your 1 choice.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
8,047 battles
8 minutes ago, LostEngineer said:

The same suggestion that has been stated every time this topic has been posted; 

MAKE IT LINE OF SIGHT.

Search is your friend man, dozens of threads about balancing Radar exist, at this point you are just

nWXa8aI.gif.f97382375f879cf818ffcfeeab73

• Funny 1

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Nah. Fine as is since it rewards team play and adds another level of complexity to high-tier gameplay.

Speaking of hard counters, often radar is easier to work with than citadel hits.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

Fixing radar is simple. 

Make it line of sight (that fixed just about every issue people have with it).

If you really want to go further, you can have it work like cyclones spotting works where only the ship with it gets to target with it (draws on everyone's mini-maps but not on-screen except for those using the radar).

• Cool 2

Members
1,027 posts
6,184 battles
32 minutes ago, LostEngineer said:

make it kinder to destroyers and more realistic.

It's their counter, learn what ships have it and their range and stay away, and it's not a  sim why the realism ?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

It's fine since it punishes destroyers with no hope of counterplay other than "don't be in range".

That's what countless discussions about radar have taught me.

But the thing that destroyers use to counter battleships needs more nerfs. In fact, it should just be deleted from the game entirely.

That's also what countless discussions on this forum have taught me.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,038 posts
7,970 battles
7 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

It’s their direct counter and as RC said, not supposed to be kind or easy on dds. That’s the entire purpose of it.

I guess the next step is to make Defensive Fire more kind for the CV...

Sign in to follow this