You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Verios44

New Player, Bunch of Questions

17 comments in this topic

Members
100 posts
352 battles

I am a WoT player, just started playing Warships a few days ago.

1. I hear that the US cruiser line is getting altered and having the tier 6 Cleveland may get me a free tier 8, ture? If so, how much time do I have? Almost to the Omaha.

2. Is there a "accelerate crew training" button? I know crew is just the captain, but I have not seen this option yet.

3. I just got access to personal missions ( level 12), what do I need to know to get this French stuff done as efficiently as possible?

4. To carrier or not to carrier? I have been told this class is as polarizing as Arty.

Any other recommendations or basic advice is more than welcome.

Edited by Verios44

[SEALZ]
Members
739 posts
7,750 battles

First of all howdy there and welcome!

1. This is true, however I would recommend spending time working up the line first, especially as a newcomer.

2. Yes there is, you can use free xp to boost your captain do with doubloons. When you click your captain under his name is the XP bar. To the right of that is a +. It will take you to a screen to convert xp.

3. If you are talking about the French missions currently then you only need a tierV ship and above to complete. If you are talking about the French campaign then I don’t know.

4. You should experience every line in the game, who knows what you will enjoy. I will recommend you start at tier IV though.

Basic Advice: don’t buy a premium until you are either at that tier it resides in or the one before

Members
70 posts
1,257 battles

Welcome to world of warships and the forums! 

1. I have no idea, but the Omaha is a fun ship so just play.

2. There are a bunch of XP flags, set your daily containers to get them.

3. Good luck, and your Omaha (I think you need tier 5 min to work them)

4. Jap carriers are pretty strong right now, but they are not arty. They play more like a poor man's starcraft.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,844 posts
42,321 battles

1.  True.  My guess is that the split will occur around May/June.

2.  There is no 'accelerate crew' option like there is in WoT.

4.  Yes.  CVs are as polarizing as arty in WoT.  But that should not dissuade you from trying it.  If you liked playing arty in WoT, you'll like playing CVs.  Try both CV lines,

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,155 posts
6,607 battles

1. The next patch is french battleships, so you have around 2 months at minimum.

2. Not like in tanks. However Warships has a host of economic items earned from achievements and missions that have an even stronger effect. If you ever get a 19 point captain the XP it earns is converted directly into free captain XP.

Note: Do not use free experience on captains, it would be like converting gold into silver in tanks, it's simply not worth it. Free experience is valuable stuff.

3. Do not spend and duplicates until you have opened every one of the earnable crates.

4. Do you like RTS and crying? CVs are not as bad as arty for either side, but they are imbalanced and their gameplay is completely different. How polarizing they are depends on who you ask, I say not by a long shot. They play almost nothing like arty does in tanks. The only similarity is the top down view.

Edited by X15

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,759 posts
12,353 battles
18 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

1. I hear that the US cruiser line is getting altered and having the tier 6 Cleveland may get me a free tier 8, ture? If so, how much time do I have? Almost to the Omaha.

You've got time, and you'll have plenty of warning, if it gets close, get it and park it in your port till your actually ready, same applies for premium ships.

20 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

2. Is there a "accelerate crew training" button? I know crew is just the captain, but I have not seen this option yet.

Not in the same terms as WoT, once you have a 19 point captain, that captain will start accumulating Elite Commanders XP, and that can be applied to any captain, it is also sometimes awarded for missions, ect...

24 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

3. I just got access to personal missions ( level 12), what do I need to know to get this French stuff done as efficiently as possible?

Just read the mission requirements carefully, if you need wins and can do it in Co-Op, save yourself the grief, run them in Co-Op, and then move on. Don't use the duplicates in collections till you have enough to buy all of them.

28 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

4. To carrier or not to carrier? I have been told this class is as polarizing as Arty.

Try them up to at least tier 6 as tier 4 & 5 CV's can't make alt attacks. Arty in WoT is annoying, but dependent on others to spot. CV's have a far larger impact on a match, a good CV driver can make a victory far more likely, a bad one can pretty much doom you to a defeat. Knowing how they operate will make you far better at dealing with them, even if ultimately you don't like them.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,142 posts
6,711 battles
42 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

1. All cruiser lines are challenging, likely one of the hardest groups to play well. No one really knows how soon but you should have lots of warning.

2. Flags will accelerate training, dubloons will too.

3. Ive heard the French mission is the hardest yet so it may not be possible unless you toss some $$ at it....unless you have a bunch of time.

4. Play it for T4-6.....US line is easier but not as rewarding as IJN. If you do not like playing CV at the very least you will understand how not to become one of their favourite targets lol

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
5,906 battles

1.  True.  You probably have a couple of months, you should be able to finish Phoenix, get through Omaha and pick up Cleveland in that time.

2.  No.  One of the biggest flaws of this game, in my humble opinion.

3.  Personally, unless you can play about ten games each and every single day, I wouldn't bother.  If you can and want to, more power to you and best of luck!

4.  Not.  Some WoT veterans want to make CVs out to be the 'Arty of WoWs! :Smile_izmena:'.  Personally, I don't buy it.  CVs are ...broken (for lack of a better term), but for different and much more complex reasons.  Unless you like and are good at top-down RTS games, can keep track of at least four and maybe up to ten assets, and want to dedicate yourself to this one class, I would skip it for now.  We've been told there is a rework coming, but it's been a long time since I recall any clear communication from WG on that.  If they do rework it, I would revisit it at that time. 

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
46 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

1. WG said that the US Cruiser split was to happen the first half of 2018. Another post from WG said that there would be one line released each quarter, so most are thinking that it will happen April to June.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/90878-straight-from-texas-us-cruiser-line-split/

You will get things for having the US ships up to T9.

2. No accelerate crew button, but you can train any nation's captain on any of that nation's premium ships. You do not have to use a premium DD to train a DD.

3. Random battles give more XP and are usually the fastest path to completion. There are boxes and the Aigle in the shop, that gives faster advancement, but costs money. 

4. I would play CVs, but suggest holding off until you have tried the other three lines a bit first. CVs play completely different than the other ships.

Beta Testers
4,539 posts
10,697 battles
59 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

Read guides and watch vids on the game mechanics.  - Try all the Classes.   

Members
100 posts
352 battles

Thanks for the answers fellas, currently enjoying the Phoenix. Its got nothing resembling armor, but fast kinda like a very long destroyer. It saddens me that ship xp will just accumulate on premiums, elite ships with no use for it besides conversion. I do plan on trying a CV line, most likely the American one first just because I am almost able to unlock the Wyoming.

Also, yesterday all my random battles had tons of bots and only two or three other players. This morning, I get full teams of players, what cuases games to have majority bots and others to have none in ranodms?

[PROJX]
Members
1,095 posts
24,761 battles
59 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

Hey Verios - Welcome & hope you enjoy WOWS for many battles - I've answered your questions below, but in general - the answer to these questions for new players are found  WOWS Enjoyment - List of Game Improvement/Mechanics Aricles & Guides.

Here are your answers:

1. Yes, if you have a Cleveland in port, you'll get a free ship when the line split occurs (likely the USN Cruiser split will be in May). Here are the references that apply to your question as to what happens when the line splits & when this is likely to be:

WOWS Enjoyment - When Lines Split...

WG has a very Player-friendly policy when a Tech Tree Line splits.  Players are generously compensated new ships depending on what ships they have in port at the time of the split.  This article explains the mechanics of what happens as of the 1st 2 line splits that occurred and what is anticipated for the 2018 USN Cruiser Line split in specific detail.  If you want to know what ships to have in your port to net some free ships w/o the grind, this post is for you. (This post will be kept current re: WG Policy as to what happens.)

WOWS Enjoyment - Knowing WG Patterns/Promos Prepares You to Participate!

If you've ever kicked yourself because you didn't have the right ships in port, enough FreeXP, not enough ports, etc. to participate in WOWS Missions/Campaigns and nice promos when they arrive - this article outlines what to expect and look for in the near future and going forward into 2018 so the next time, you'll be enjoying your reward ship for completing that mission! (or having enough FreeXP to purchase it)!

2. There's no accelerate crew training button, but here's a article telling you how you can get your 19-pt Capt faster.

WOWS Enjoyment - Accelerating Captains Training (Getting More 19 pt Capts Quicker)

Getting a 19 pt. captain seems daunting - but if you set up your ships & play strategy efficiently, once you get one, you'll find you can get more much faster - here's how.

3. This is how you accomplish a mission & campaign faster:

WOWS Enjoyment - Strategies for a Campaign (How to More Efficiently Earn Game Rewards)

Uses the "Hunt for Bismarck" Campaign as an example showing step-by-step the way to overlap tasks, choose the most efficient tasks and pick the right ships in your port to execute the tasks to minimize game time to reap the campaign rewards (since all of us have other priorities as well)!   Also covers the general odds and strategies re: collectibles and chances for receiving them in game (for RNG container based collections) - the strategy for skill based collections as in the Anniversary Collection will follow the principles used to chose your campaign tasks if you want to find the minimal game strategy to get your collection finished.

4.  CVs are the toughest class in game to play due to the UI quirks and skill level involved.  If you want to play CVs, here are some helpful references.

[ Links to Farazelleth YouTube Videos ] Fara's CV Guides - CV Configuration and Play

For those interested in CV Gameplay - this section contains links to  very detailed instructional and informational videos from the EU Unicum CV Player Farazelleth's YouTube Series Fara Carrier Guide.  This series explains tactics and strategies when playing CVs which will help you get the most out of your CV (including gameplay examples).   Farazelleth has also posted a Configure Your CV series  which covers each CV in the Tech Tree including:

• Ship Upgrade Recommended Progression
  • Module Upgrades
  • Captains Skills
  • Overall ship playstyle and information
  • Play examples in Random Battles

The links below represent a sampler of basic CV information contained on his channel - if you find the information useful, please consider subscribing to his channel.

Fara Carrier Guides Series

What Makes a Good CV?

Introduction

IJN CVs

USN CVs

Premiums

Welcome to the WOWS Community - hope to see you in battle!  o7

Members
43 posts
3,301 battles

For the bots thing, it's just player population and time. Sometimes there's five people in queue, not enough for a full PVP game, but the game fills it with bots so you can just get a game going. Other times, you just happen to have the full number of players. It gets better at tiers 5 and up, I've found.

Also, welcome to WoWS!

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles
35 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

Also, yesterday all my random battles had tons of bots and only two or three other players. This morning, I get full teams of players, what cuases games to have majority bots and others to have none in ranodms?

There's a threshold for number of games played. (not sure how many)

Below that threshold, you're separated from the "seal clubbers", as long as the queue size allows it.

So when there's lots of players on, the queue is full enough that they can split off the newbies, and fill in the teams with bots. When the server pop is low, the newbies get thrown in GenPop.

After you cross the games played threshold, you lose newbie status, and will see no more bots. If you're on at a low pop time, the matches will just start with fewer ships. As long as you're not playing in the dead of night, when all the NA timezones are asleep, worst you should see is maybe 7v7, and those are rare at that. If you play from mid afternoon to midnight, you'll probably never see anything but 12v12.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,657 posts
4,602 battles

When trying out CVs, have pity on your teammates and try them in Co-op battle.  A bad CV player won't have the same impact on win/loss in Co-op as he would in Random.

[HEROS]
Members
1,939 posts
16,635 battles

Slow down, learn the game.  There is subtlety and great depth to the game and its systems.  There are also a lot of ships and more coming.

Everyone has a differing opinion on which ship line etc is best.  There may be answers there, but always bear in mind that it's not the ship that makes a player good.  It's the player that makes the ship good.

Welcome to warships, hopefully we won't scare you off.   

always be working on improving your ability to hit targets.

Carriers are difficult to play and are currently not quite in a good way.  CV players seem to come in two flavors only right now.. really really good, and really really not.   If you have any skill with CV play it will be frustrating because your going to hit a skill wall built in as you transition out of the first two tiers of CV and a bigger skill wall at tier 8 and up where the competition is going to get much much tougher.

See you around!